Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Marathon 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Anyone not got their medal and beanie hat yet? From looking at my social media it feels like I'm the one one who hasn't!

my medal arrived this morn but no hat with it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Lightscribe

I got a medal and some fancy arm warmers in the post this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,942 ✭✭✭✭event

Anyone not got their medal and beanie hat yet? From looking at my social media it feels like I'm the one one who hasn't!

I changed from the full to the half but looks like they arent sending me anyhing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

event wrote: »
    I changed from the full to the half but looks like they arent sending me anyhing :(

I did the half and received medal and arm warmers yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭py

A recent post said 9,000 people completed one of the races. That is a lot of medals and swag to package, address and stamp. I'd give it till at least the end of next week before getting in touch with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,289 ✭✭✭ariana`

I changed from the full to the half and I got my medal and sleeves on Tuesday. They might still arrive and if not email them, they are usually very quick to respond.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,942 ✭✭✭✭event

They landed at 11am. I need to be patient :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Phew it landed today, delighted with my first marathon medal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

• Registered Users Posts: 15,319 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Dudda wrote: »

That's just crazy, lost the run of themselves indeed, how about less paying of foreign runners to take part as a starter, should save a few bob.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Supercell wrote: »
    That's just crazy, lost the run of themselves indeed, how about less paying of foreign runners to take part as a starter, should save a few bob.

Sad thing is the winner turned out to be a drug cheat.
    Dunno how they managed this since they were able to run the event on a shoestring in early 2010's.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Surely there would be enough interest from Ireland to make it financially viable without trying to attract foreign elite runners with big prizes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

The feel good factor of Sean Hehir and various other Irish runners was great for DCM, those years really captured the imagination. Strangely, that only happened when there was no sponsor to fund an ‘elite’ international field. Said international fields have never been of any interest, in any case, as they’re not part of the 1st tier of international elite.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The likes of Manchester, Edinburgh, Dublin and Belfast scale events shouldn't bother with shipping in the 2nd tier elites. Create an England/ Ireland/ Scotland/ Wales grand slam series (like the marathon majors over 2 seasons ) and have a nations team competition. Raise the profile of home grown runners and have something where the public can actually get behind the runners and know them. Then every couple of years one of them gets picked as a joint Olympic/ Commonwealth/ World qualifying events depending on the year and you get an exciting race between people you've heard of getting coverage on the telly and running around your local streets to claim their championship places.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

A quick look at the (abridged) accounts published suggests the race has been losing money for a good few years now, despite the ‘success’ of moving to Sunday. Seem to have enough cash on hand to absorb the 2019 loss, but I’d say that got wiped out this year. The decision to reduce costs looks like a necessity.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭JimmyChew

A lot of the "big city Marathons" in Ireland won't survive this. I'm thinking Cork & Limerick.

The extra costs involved in putting on these events to pay for a Covid compliant set up, Reduced numbers for compliance and an increased entry fee to pay for it all, it just wont be viable. Cork was already struggling and had already signalled in 2019 that it had some work to do to revitalize their event. Limerick has a big backer but in the end is a private enterprise, if the numbers don't add up it will just be a non runner so to speak.

The jewel in the crown Dublin? as mentioned is under some serious pressure.

Its going to be small local affairs and virtual events for a couple of years I think lad's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

JimmyChew wrote: »
    A lot of the "big city Marathons" in Ireland won't survive this. I'm thinking Cork & Limerick.

The extra costs involved in putting on these events to pay for a Covid compliant set up, Reduced numbers for compliance and an increased entry fee to pay for it all, it just wont be viable. Cork was already struggling and had already signalled in 2019 that it had some work to do to revitalize their event. Limerick has a big backer but in the end is a private enterprise, if the numbers don't add up it will just be a non runner so to speak.

The jewel in the crown Dublin? as mentioned is under some serious pressure.

Its going to be small local affairs and virtual events for a couple of years I think lad's.

You're probably right.

I can't see DCM taking the risk of attempting to run it this year. If there's any chance it won't happen, they couldn't throw money at planing for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Absolutely won't happen this year. Government target is to have everyone vaccinated by September, and that's by their own admission an optimistic target. They obviously won't make this. So there's no way any events will get insurance/clearance to go ahead until those targets are met.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Absolutely won't happen this year. Government target is to have everyone vaccinated by September, and that's by their own admission an optimistic target. They obviously won't make this. So there's no way any events will get insurance/clearance to go ahead until those targets are met.

Possibly the case if the vaccine does absolutely nothing to prevent the spread of the virus and the only way to protect the population is continued social distancing and the vaccine to prevent the most vulnerable from needing to be hospitalised.

But if in another couple of months time once the majority of the most vulnerable populations are vaccinated and ideally the numbers of them getting so ill that they need hospital treatment has significantly reduced, at that point there should also start to be evidence of how the vaccines affect transmission. Once you have all of a group in a care home for example vaccinated, but you still check for positive cases within the group, you will soon learn if those positive cases that catch it from outside contact are actually transmitting it to others in that group. That kind of information can only be weeks away from being known about as people will already be well onto their second doses in some groups and the effect can start to be measured.

If the transmission is reduced from the vaccine then restrictions can be relaxed fairly quickly after you have got through most of the vulnerable population. Society is perfectly fine with the idea of only bothering to vaccinate for flu with a small percentage of the population, the rest of you just have to take your chances. No reason to think that society won't think the same with Covid, and once the hospitals are not at risk of being overrun it matters far less.

Of course if the vaccines don't reduce transmission or the risks of further mutations then we'll be in a very different place, but we don't know yet. For Dublin marathon though they need to know how things are looking far sooner than September.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭franciscanpunk

Thanks for the positive post very happy to have hope of it going ahead but I'm just not sure it'll happen no matter how much I want it too. One thing for certain i wont be running it virtually, some people may enjoy that but for me its just a horribly long training run.

Maybe they should consider a later date like December to allow max chance for everyone to be vaccinated and if its case it cant go ahead even after the critical mass has been vaccinated will just have to accept no more events for a few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭franciscanpunk

Was having a look at potential races, thinking of booking something in Northern Ireland as I'd see more chance of a race being allowed happen in the UK given the speed of their vaccine roll out.

I wonder what time of the year the Dublin city marathon will make an announcment.

I'm far more confident that my run in London will happen in October that the one in Dublin, but that's mostly down to London have more cash to splash on any crazy extra measures they might need to take, and they have more options to work with on space at the start and finish and along the route if needed.

Whilst pushing back by a couple of months would be a good idea, that is less so when that is heading into winter months when trying to avoid transmission of a virus that likes the winter season. If we were 9 months away an April event being pushed back a couple of months then it would be great, less so when talking about winter and viruses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭donaghs

Murph_D wrote: »
    A quick look at the (abridged) accounts published suggests the race has been losing money for a good few years now, despite the ‘success’ of moving to Sunday. Seem to have enough cash on hand to absorb the 2019 loss, but I’d say that got wiped out this year. The decision to reduce costs looks like a necessity.

That sounds like poor financial management, considering 2019 had a record number of entrants?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Was having a look at potential races, thinking of booking something in Northern Ireland as I'd see more chance of a race being allowed happen in the UK given the speed of their vaccine roll out.

I wonder what time of the year the Dublin city marathon will make an announcment.

The advice from the government will be essential travel only for the year!!
    So the north will be a no go

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

The advice from the government will be essential travel only for the year!!
    So the north will be a no go

Have they said that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Have they said that?

No. NPHET have hinted at it, but hopefully, the Gov will look at the bigger picture and come to their senses (No internal travel restrictions in July and August 2020, so would be a poor show if it was worse this year)!

No. NPHET have hinted at it, but hopefully, the Gov will look at the bigger picture and come to their senses (No internal travel restrictions in July and August 2020, so would be a poor show if it was worse this year)!

If restrictions are worse in 2021 than 2020 then there must be something else really bad about to happen and all vaccines suddenly stop working as they have so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭ger664

robinph wrote: »
    If restrictions are worse in 2021 than 2020 then there must be something else really bad about to happen and all vaccines suddenly stop working as they have so far.

Robin

We wont have enough done in Ireland due to the EU fiddling about with authorizing AZ vaccine and then wondering why a they used EU stock to fill orders already authorized. This will mean we easy restrictions the UK variant will spread quickly and we will be in this lockdown again. Rinse and repeat

RANT

What did someone once say about do the same thing and expecting a different result

Current lockdown is really a farce. I got covid when carrying out essential work. (Allowed), I travelled 250K on Monday to 5 different sites and interacted with 20 people. Essential work(allowed)

If I drive 10K to run up the side of a mountain in my own car on my own. (Not allowed) I will spread the virus and get a fine. It a ridiculous situation

Rant Over

ger664 wrote: »
    Robin

We wont have enough done in Ireland due to the EU fiddling about with authorizing AZ vaccine and then wondering why a they used EU stock to fill orders already authorized. This will mean we easy restrictions the UK variant will spread quickly and we will be in this lockdown again. Rinse and repeat

Should have start to have some good data available from the UK in a week or so to show how effective the vaccines are in reducing hospitalisation/ death. The numbers from Israel are already a bit ahead of the UK and are looking good for that. If the reports out today regarding reduced transmission turn out to be correct then that is also great, but might take a bit longer before that is so clear, as the population being vaccinated so far is generally a bit less mobile under normal circumstances. If it does reduce transmission as claimed then once it into the younger age groups it will have a massive impact on the number of cases fairly quickly. Few more weeks and the UK will be well into vaccinating the next few cohorts and the rate that the UK is getting through people they could have the majority of the population done in another couple of months.

Different geography and infrastructure, but with the UK vaccinating 600k in a day last week (fake stats obviously as some vaccination centres report weekly rather than daily) it's possible to get the needles in arms at a very fast rate if everything is thrown at the problem.

Got to keep positive and hope for the best, things are potentially going to turn around fairly quickly after a year of things getting progressively worse each week.

The one thing the UK has done right in the last 5 years of so is vaccinations, I have to take some positives where possible. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

robinph wrote: »
    Should have start to have some good data available from the UK in a week or so to show how effective the vaccines are in reducing hospitalisation/ death. The numbers from Israel are already a bit ahead of the UK and are looking good for that. If the reports out today regarding reduced transmission turn out to be correct then that is also great, but might take a bit longer before that is so clear, as the population being vaccinated so far is generally a bit less mobile under normal circumstances. If it does reduce transmission as claimed then once it into the younger age groups it will have a massive impact on the number of cases fairly quickly. Few more weeks and the UK will be well into vaccinating the next few cohorts and the rate that the UK is getting through people they could have the majority of the population done in another couple of months.

Different geography and infrastructure, but with the UK vaccinating 600k in a day last week (fake stats obviously as some vaccination centres report weekly rather than daily) it's possible to get the needles in arms at a very fast rate if everything is thrown at the problem.

Got to keep positive and hope for the best, things are potentially going to turn around fairly quickly after a year of things getting progressively worse each week.

The one thing the UK has done right in the last 5 years of so is vaccinations, I have to take some positives where possible. :)

Vaccines are a game change. I happy for the over 70's not to get the AZ vaccine, its uproven and not worth a gamble right now.

My dad got his booster vaccine in the nursing home this week.

Advertisement