Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Distance membership

Options
  • 25-11-2020 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi,

I'd like to join a well known golf club in Leinster offering a distance membership for 500 eur which apparently has all benefits of full membership.
    The only condition is that I need to join another GUI affiliated club for handicap purposes.
    There are GUI clubs in Munster offering very cheap distance membership. So I could join the Munster course on distance membership for 150 and then join the Leinster course on distance membership for 500. I have not heard of this type of arrangement before - does this sound right?
    I don't have an official handicap so presumably I'd have to play 3 rounds at the Munster course to get my handicap but then I could play exclusively at the Leinster course after that and submit my cards for continued handicap calculation?

Any advice or corrections appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Is 650+cost of travel to munster x3 that far off the full subs on leinster?

I think it will depend on the club whether they accept a distance membership of another club, no harm asking them.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Southern Comfort

Does the Leinster club have a rule about how far you have to live from it in order to qualify for distance membership? I would presume it does. If so, do you qualify on those grounds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭tyivpc5qjx0f2b

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    Is 650+cost of travel to munster x3 that far off the full subs on leinster?

I think it will depend on the club whether they accept a distance membership of another club, no harm asking them.

Is the condition of distance membership in relation to another membership not that you're required to be a full member of another club?

If that is the case then you'll simply run into the same issue whereby the cheaper Munster club will require proof of membership elsewhere.

I don't know if it is a ubiquitous requirement for distance membership but full membership elsewhere is required for distance membership in my club.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I’m about to join a links course as a distance member, a condition is that I must have proof of full membership at another club and live min 75km away.

Op, I suspect club membership secretaries have seen it all before, I’d love to join a well know club close to me as a distance member if it was easy to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭tyivpc5qjx0f2b

Dav010 wrote: »
    I’m about to join a links course as a distance member, a condition is that I must have proof of full membership at another club and live min 75km away.

Op, I suspect club membership secretaries have seen it all before, I’d love to join a well know club close to me as a distance member if it was easy to do so.

Oldest play in the book situation. I have a distance membership near my family home. I probably frequent it more than your average "real" distance member but I am living 150km away.

If I was the OP, I'd simply be embarrassed if I availed of this and wasn't a true distance member, not to mention the additional embarrassment if I was caught out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Kkerr

Thanks all, its now confirmed that i'd have to be a full member of the Munster course (not a distance member) so the question doesn't need answering.
    BTW i would have qualified as a distance member for both courses.
    But I agree the optics of joining a cheap course on distance basis in order to join a better course on a cheaper distance fare never looked right.
    thanks

Advertisement