Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I think we can all agree, Floyd Mayweather Jr is best to ever do it

Options
  • 29-08-2020 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭

While most of boxing’s cognoscenti debate who should be crowned pound-for-pound king, few would question Mayweather’s dominance as the era’s best defensive fighter. That’s an important distinction.

Because although all fighters hit as often as they’re physically able, the best boxers connect often and avoid being hit too frequently.
    Given that, what can we surmise about Mayweather’s station using the CompuBox data?

Subtract the average connect percentage of Mayweather’s opponents from Mayweather’s own hit rate during that designated prime, and the numbers reveal an enormous chasm between Floyd and today’s other top fighters.

With respect….
    I don’t care who you know, what you’ve seen, or where you’ve been …
    He may not be your favorite boxer, But I guarantee you…
    Floyd Mayweather JR, is the best boxer to ever live.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭weemcd

I'd pick Duran and possibly Leonard over him at Lightweight tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

weemcd wrote: »
    I'd pick Duran and possibly Leonard over him at Lightweight tbh.

At lightweight he let the hands go. Can't see either of them topping him

• Registered Users Posts: 54,589 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Ray never fought at or below 140 lbs as a pro as far as I know, and certainly not at 135 lbs..

Ray-Floyd has to be at 147 lbs..

I’d have to favor Ray’s power, speed and all around ability at 147 lbs..

Floyd could make it difficult and interesting, but ultimately, offence wins fights, and I reckon Ray’s to be superior. Floyd wary of getting g hit hard all night, and ends up too much on defense..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Look up what legendary trainer Emanual Steward said about Sugar Ray Robinson and then decide who the best ever was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

I think Hearns deserves a mention too as an opponent that could better Floyd.

I think Floyd might possibly be the best ever at 135 however.

• Advertisement

ThunderCat wrote: »
    I think Hearns deserves a mention too as an opponent that could better Floyd.

I think Floyd might possibly be the best ever at 135 however.

Hearns is even a worse style match for Floyd than Ray would be.

Hearns has extra reach, height, and the type of delivery and range and power that would see Floyd in a shell for large parts of the fight

Floyd's pot shots won't work against a man that has that height, range, speed, snap and power....and Hearns will be dictating the fight and being the aggressor all night...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

walshb wrote: »
    Hearns is even a worse style match for Floyd than Ray would be.

Hearns has extra reach, height, and the type of delivery and range and power that would see Floyd in a shell for large parts of the fight

Floyd's pot shots won't work against a man that has that height, range, speed, snap and power....and Hearns will be dictating the fight and being the aggressor all night...

Which is why Mayweather avoided the likes of Paul Williams and Amir Khan in my opinion.

Which is why Mayweather avoided the likes of Paul Williams and Amir Khan in my opinion.

Both bad styles for Mayweather

And of course, you will have folks rushing in to slate Khan's chances, all because he has a weak chin......

This is all styles....Mayweather with real power knocks Khan out...

I don't think he has the one shot power to do it, so for me, he is in for a tough tough boxing match....Khan has greasy speed, range, volume, fitness

Mayweather's best chance to beat Khan, is actually what Mayweather doesn't do all that much, HUNT!

Pressure Khan and get close to him to try work him over......

Advertisement