Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic wooden speedboat build , sink, search for, recovery and rebuild.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Tom44

Back to topic please, let's keep this boat story free from distraction

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I was on Lough Derg on Saturday & Sunday, and was searching around for Fergal, but you forget how big a lake it is when you haven’t been there in a while...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,781 ✭✭✭Odelay

Tom44 wrote: »
    Back to topic please, let's keep this boat story free from distraction

Distraction is what got me here many years ago.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭WildWater

I was on Lough Derg on Saturday & Sunday, and was searching around for Fergal, but you forget how big a lake it is when you haven’t been there in a while...

Is he not based on Lough Ree?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

WildWater wrote: »
    Is he not based on Lough Ree?

Not sure, thought it was Lough Derg, but I also crossed Lough Ree on Thursday & Monday!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,297 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Not sure, thought it was Lough Derg, but I also crossed Lough Ree on Thursday & Monday!!

Sounds like you had a Lough-down, instead of a lock-down. :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Plenty of sonar recording done over the weekend but the two boats I found were a small lake boat and what looks like a cuddy cabin. :(

eb246bb52d9628ced5241061416929d4.jpg

6995b206aaea62f203a03d9d1aa4e7ab.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

New Home wrote:
    Sounds like you had a Lough-down, instead of a lock-down.

I'll get your coat.....

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Two more boats found over the weekend a large 40 footer and what may have been it's tender as it was quite close.

ff21f928ceec97d45a527b8b418fbdb2.jpg

429af04b18d943b9d78281d6046beacc.jpg

ee4e8c3267f663933cc1cbaff9e11938.jpg

Not sure what this is but it looks manmade and is over 200 foot long.

a320b0ef15f243267ffcadd981991cc1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

fergal.b wrote: »
    Two more boats found over the weekend a large 40 footer and what may have been it's tender as it was quite close.

ff21f928ceec97d45a527b8b418fbdb2.jpg

429af04b18d943b9d78281d6046beacc.jpg

ee4e8c3267f663933cc1cbaff9e11938.jpg

Not sure what this is but it looks manmade and is over 200 foot long.

a320b0ef15f243267ffcadd981991cc1.jpg

Where on the lake did your boat sink Fergal?

Thats the million dollar question :) I believe between marker 5-6 but could be anywhere between coosen point and Lecarrow, the red dots on the map are all boats I have found in the search area and the two I found this weekend are in an area I must have passed over more than 100 times and never seen anything so you just never know sometimes it depends on what angle you hit them at as to weather they look like a boat or a rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,616 ✭✭✭✭josip

Fergal, do you have an Android or iPhone and did you have your phone with you on the day you sank?
    For example on Android, I can go back in time to any day and Google will kindly tell me where I was.

Rk3al9w.png

I would imagine Apple have something similar for iOS.
    Not sure how accurate it would be out on the lake.
    Maybe your rescuers could dig out theirs and you could correlate for a more accurate estimate of where it went down?

Thats the million dollar question :) I believe between marker 5-6 but could be anywhere between coosen point and Lecarrow, the red dots on the map are all boats I have found in the search area and the two I found this weekend are in an area I must have passed over more than 100 times and never seen anything so you just never know sometimes it depends on what angle you hit them at as to weather they look like a boat or a rock.

Was it around Lecarrow where the boat took on water and went under initially?

What are you basing your search area on?

Did you ever search the stretch of Shannon towards Athlone?

Yep been through all that even got in touch with the phone company and asked if they could triangulate where the phone last pinged off a tower, they said I would have had to killed someone for them to do that. :eek: Google history only picked me up that morning but then nothing after that and the guy that picked me up only had an old Nokia with no GPS :(

Was it around Lecarrow where the boat took on water and went under initially?

What are you basing your search area on?

Did you ever search the stretch of Shannon towards Athlone?

I had passed the turn off for Lecarrow as one of the last sights of land I had before the hailstones hit was the beached yacht, I was in the hailstones for a good 10 -15 min's travelling about 10 knots on the navigation line before I hit that 3rd wave and down she went. My sonar is always on and have done a good few trips to Athlone and other places around the lake just incase.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,297 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Yep been through all that even got in touch with the phone company and asked if they could triangulate where the phone last pinged off a tower, they said I would have had to killed someone for them to do that. :eek: Google history only picked me up that morning but then nothing after that and the guy that picked me up only had an old Nokia with no GPS :(

Could you make an official request under GDPR? Or FOI? Or does that only cover the public service?

New Home wrote: »
    Could you make an official request under GDPR? Or FOI? Or does that only cover the public service?

Not sure how it works but I'd say even if they could do it for me they would only be able to put me in the area and I'm sure I am already in that area. I still have the dead old phone if anyone wants to work some magic on it :)

This could be a problem :D

53a53a317c7f882fa24c6ea8a87ba118.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Alkers

If there's any man who can DIYhack his way to Mars....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,221 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I got excited when I saw an update to this thread. Alas...

How fast were you going over that wave?

Sorry about that duepit I would be the same if I was on the other side :) hopefully I will get back out looking soon, in the meantime I just finished building another little classic wooden boat, hopefully I don't lose this one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭wheelo01

Is this just a model, or an actual remote control model? Built and designed by you, or a kit?

Any links if it's a kit?, it's a thing of beauty.

wheelo01 wrote: »
    Is this just a model, or an actual remote control model? Built and designed by you, or a kit?

Any links if it's a kit?, it's a thing of beauty.

It's a kit built by me and is remote control here is a link to it if you have any questions you can ask them here. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058131091

It is an old kit called a "Amati riva aquarama model boat 1603" it will be hard to find the same kit but there is a newer one called "Amati riva aquarama 1608" the Rc gear and the sound box didn't come with the kit so you will have to buy them, I also had to make the lights.

Only if it can walk as far as the pub :) I do have another little project in the pipe line I'm thinking of building one of Ted Moores cedar strip canoes called Hiawatha.

img_2711.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SCOL

Where can you buy cedar in Ireland ? I have been toying with the idea of building one for a long time now.

SCOL wrote: »
    Where can you buy cedar in Ireland ? I have been toying with the idea of building one for a long time now.

I can get it here and it's inside my 5k limit :)

http://www.thetimberyard.ie/Cedar-Western-Red-Dublin-Ireland-Quinn-Hardwoods-Ltd-s/1881.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SCOL

Lusk, happy days as I work not too far from there.

Advertisement