Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cost of breaking a horse

• 13-06-2020 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

As the title says can anyone give me a rough idea as to how much it costs to break a horse? TIA

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Redneck Reject1971

Maybe ring a few Stables in your area and get quotes.If they don't offer that,then they can definitely point you to who they use.Hope that is helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭treascon

Maybe ring a few Stables in your area and get quotes.If they don't offer that,then they can definitely point you to who they use.Hope that is helpful.

Thanks for the advice. Will do. In the meantime if anyone else has an idea on price please let me know

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Mod note:

I removed a few unhelpful posts and replies to them from this thread.

No reason not to be civil and helpful to each other. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Redneck Reject1971

Did you find someone to help you,treascon?I would have offered more help but I'm not in Ireland right now.But I worked for a yard in Limerick and that's what I did for them.But in truth he wasn't a very honest person,so no idea what he charged clients.That is why I suggested calling a few Stables for suggestions.

Hope you found a solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I'm afraid the price of breaking a horse varies wildly, depending on who you get, their skill level, their facilities and how busy they are. You really can pay anything from €100 a week to €500 a week, and I'm certain there are yards that charge more. I would price around all the yards in the area, and look for reviews/recommendations before settling.

• Advertisement

I'm afraid the price of breaking a horse varies wildly, depending on who you get, their skill level, their facilities and how busy they are. You really can pay anything from €100 a week to €500 a week, and I'm certain there are yards that charge more. I would price around all the yards in the area, and look for reviews/recommendations before settling.

Thanks for the advice. That gives me a good indication.

Did you find someone to help you,treascon?I would have offered more help but I'm not in Ireland right now.But I worked for a yard in Limerick and that's what I did for them.But in truth he wasn't a very honest person,so no idea what he charged clients.That is why I suggested calling a few Stables for suggestions.

Hope you found a solution.

I’m not sure whether or not we need it yet. I have been given a recommendation from a reliable source. I was just trying to gauge an idea of approximate cost for now. Thanks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭isaos

More likely to be around €400 than €100, which is the basic boarding price in most yards. Shopping around is fine, but more importantly try to get information on how well the work is done, so much depends on it.

I had one that was very badly started, despite high profile yard and flashy 5***** installations.. A wrong saddle that caused bruises and of course didn't help the horse to be happily ridden, and a lot of small issues that induced bigger ones at a later stage. On the other side I know two small yards where the horses are really well broken in.

Price is important but it will cost you much more if not done properly. Maybe you could have a look on social media, people talk a lot.. )

Best of luck anyway!

isaos wrote: »
    More likely to be around €400 than €100, which is the basic boarding price in most yards. Shopping around is fine, but more importantly try to get information on how well the work is done, so much depends on it.

I had one that was very badly started, despite high profile yard and flashy 5***** installations.. A wrong saddle that caused bruises and of course didn't help the horse to be happily ridden, and a lot of small issues that induced bigger ones at a later stage. On the other side I know two small yards where the horses are really well broken in.

Price is important but it will cost you much more if not done properly. Maybe you could have a look on social media, people talk a lot.. )

Best of luck anyway!

€400 per week? God the experience you had sounds awful. Thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

isaos wrote: »

Absolutely, the €100 would be if you had everything, except a person to do it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement