Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Horse transport

• 09-06-2020 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭

How do you transport your horse in a box, partition in with the horse behind the driver or no partition, horse in the middle with 2 bungee cords?

What's the safest way?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I think it really depends on the horse. Some horses like the stability of a partition, some prefer having more space. If I was just towing one horse, I'd probably default to having just a breast bar in, but if I knew the horse preferred a partition, I'd put it in.

I wouldn't, however, use bungee cord. If any part of it fails, it tends to be overly dramatic and I've heard of it doing a significant amount of damage to the horse. A rope with a quick release knot is fine, or those lead ropes with the quick release clip.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭isaos

Depends on your box: I have a IW 506 suitable for two smaller horses, had to transport a 16.5 blood mare who travelled badly with the partition as she was too tight, and very well without it.

Rule is to put a partition between 2 horses to avoid kicks among other things (anything that can happen will happen : Murphy's Law)

A horse alone travels usually very well with no partition as they have more space to balance themselves. Just needs to be tied just enough so that they won't be able to turn, but still able to use their neck for a better balance. You can also tie on both side, not too tight. Always use easy to undo knots and tie the ropes to a piece of baling string that will breakeasily in case of emergency.

I wouldn't use bungee cords, heard of bad accidents with them.

Good luck!

Advertisement