Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

To Repair a LCD TV

• 10-08-2011 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

If this is the wrong forum please forgive! I am going to attempt a self repair on the psu board on a samsung tv, however I need to source 4 capacitors to replace the failed ones used in the original tv.
    Can anyone advise where it is possible to purchase discretes to allow me to repair the board.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

donberg.ie
    radionics.ie
    cpc.farnell.com

old computer motherboards are another possible source

• Registered Users Posts: 28 spikadelica

much obliged thanks for the info...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

Unless you've got an ESR (Equivalent Series Resistance) meter to test them, do not use electrolytics that have already been used. Electrolytic capacitors are the single most common point of failure in electronics, and even if the device still works it doesn't guarantee that the electrolytics are good or not close to failing.

Buy new ones online from any reliable electronic component vendor such as those listed above. Make sure to match both the voltage and the capacitance values match (for the voltage, make sure that it matches or exceeds the number on the original; for the capacitance, match it as exactly as you can, and keep an eye on tolerance values (the % value beside the capacitance figure)), go for high-temperature ones if you can to increase potential lifespan, make absolutely sure you've got the polarity right (electrolytics can explode/turn into a missile if they get fed more than about 1.5v in reverse bias...).

Hope that helps,
    Gadget

Thanks for the very good advice, fortunate to have assistance of workmate electrical tech for this job...

Well carried out the replacement of the 2 1000mic capacitors and it went well, TV worked again as soon as the power went on.. so thats saved me quite a deal of cash..
    Happy days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

Nice!

Advertisement