Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
19-06-2019, 00:41   #1186
Cass
Moderator
 
Cass's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 22,329
Send a message via MSN to Cass
You're splitting topics so i'm splitting replies.


Quote:
Have you heard of anyone being refused a CF /SA recently?I havent,ansd am considering applying for another,so its a self censoring ban,on pretty dubious legal grounds too.
Nope. Also haven't heard of many if any applying for one either. As for shakey legal ground, how so. It's the same thing they done to the pistols with the statement in 2008 and the legislation in 2009. That still stands, so if it's dodgy ground surely someone would have challenged it within the last 10 years.
Quote:
To use your own saying on what happens in other countries...Irevelant what happens in NZ as to what happens here.
Really?

So the semi auto ban is irrelevant? A TD asking about suppressors in the Dail is irrelevant. I'll mark this moment and come back to you in a few years and see if you think it's still irrelevant.
Quote:
Whoever does so,might find they have a very sore foot and a nail stuck in it.There is a different mindset coming up,and it is getting to be alot more out of the closet and miitant both in Ireland and the EU in general with shooters.
You're dreaming.

From an Irish perspective we are a fragmented, non existing lobby group of 140,000 at best. Over half are farmers and the rest would sooner screw you over to earn a buck that help out for the sake of the sport. Your "ancient history" would show you this if it wasn't so quickly dismissed/forgotten about as ancient history.
Quote:
BBut will gladly use the outcome of the 1% who do.
DC are not courts of record, and with some being settled on the steps its not even a case.
Quote:
Tell them to contact Firearms United Network [Ireland] we want to hear from them about such cases.
That's your pony, work away.
Cass is offline  
Advertisement
19-06-2019, 10:02   #1187
tac foley
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 5,422
The EFFECTIVE use of any kind of sound moderator in a combat zone is totally dependent on the location of the person[s] being shot at. From personal experience, I can advise the forum that shots that go nowhere near you can only be located by a VERY skilled person who has an ear and eye in the air, since all you get is a distant 'thump', and maybe a bit of raised dust from the muzzle blast.

If you are the intended target then two things will happen -

Case #1. If the shot fortuitously misses you, you will hear a very sharp whiplash-like crack as it passes you by, usually supersonically. You can then estimate the range by mentally measuring the interval between the 'crack' and the 'thump'. This is a called 'ranging by crack and thump'. You may, OTOH, be too busy trying to stay alive and getting under some dirt to bother.

Case #2. If the shot hits you, then you are likely past caring WTF the shot came from. If that be the case, you won't have heard a thing.
tac foley is offline  
Thanks from:
19-06-2019, 12:52   #1188
Grizzly 45
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 10,811
[QUOTE=Cass;110471754]You're splitting topics so i'm splitting replies.



Quote:
Nope. Also haven't heard of many if any applying for one either. As for shakey legal ground, how so. It's the same thing they done to the pistols with the statement in 2008 and the legislation in 2009. That still stands, so if it's dodgy ground surely someone would have challenged it within the last 10 years.
So why didnt that creep from Louth not ban them in 2008??He could have,and ignoring the supposedly heroic last minute efforts of a former leader of the NARGC.I think the thorny issue of Com-pen-sation under article 42 of the Irish constitution and article 5 of EUCHR might have played a big part in that Lout from Louths decision making.


Really?

Quote:
So the semi auto ban is irrelevant? A TD asking about suppressors in the Dail is irrelevant. I'll mark this moment and come back to you in a few years and see if you think it's still irrelevant.

Which SA ban?Here or NZ? Here there is no ban,we are self banning,as the fear of loss at some unspecified time in the future,is putting people off.NZ,sofar only somthing like 3thousand have been handed in.The biggest street gang in NZ[The Mongerls] has told Shovel Gob Arden to stick it,as they need thiers for personal protection,and it is now showing that it will cost over 1billion NZ dollars to compensate the collectors and gunowners.So literally HALF of NZ national domestic budget ....Of course this wont be mentioned in MSM,but its a **** up of the highest order...as you say moot to us here?Instead of bejammering the fact Martin asked this Dail question and imagining the end of days.Maybe it would be more helpful to find out WHY it was asked and by whom?

TD's dont just pop any old thing that comes into their head in the Dail as a question,as it has to be listed and be on the daily order of busisness of the house. So this has to have been asked of Martin to bring it to the fore at least2/3weeks ago.Sometime around that Markaov& silencer/suppressor being found ?




Quote:
From an Irish perspective we are a fragmented, non existing lobby group of 140,000 at best. Over half are farmers and the rest would sooner screw you over to earn a buck that help out for the sake of the sport. Your "ancient history" would show you this if it wasn't so quickly dismissed/forgotten about as ancient history
.

Belive it or not,we are in better shape than the UK,where Fuddism rules and there is less contact between the orgs than there is here.Sure thats Irish to try and make a quick buck off anyones back,but where is the sports colation of vested intrests today?

Quote:
DC are not courts of record, and with some being settled on the steps its not even a case.
No,but they dont operate in a vaccum either. What one case settled in a DC,usually sets a precedent for others to follow.

Quote:
That's your pony, work away
.
Pass them on my details.
Grizzly 45 is offline  
19-06-2019, 15:18   #1189
Cass
Moderator
 
Cass's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 22,329
Send a message via MSN to Cass
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly 45 View Post
So why didnt that creep from Louth not ban them in 2008??
No idea, but possibly the issue of compensation as you said.

However it had the same effect albeit under a longer time frame. How many CF pistols are there now compared to 2004-06? How many restricted 22lr from then to now?
Quote:
Which SA ban?Here or NZ?
Here. I only mention NZ because of how quickly things change based on popular opinion.

As for which ban i'm talking about this, and this. When i e-mailed the current Minister the reply i got was short, but this line in his response stood out:
Quote:
I wish to advise that the Department of Justice and Equality is committed to legislating to cease the new licensing of semi-automatic centre-fire rifles.
Then there is the new Garda Commissioner's guidelines in which he states:
Quote:
Issuing persons and applicants alike should be mindful that, on 18th September 2015, the Minister for Justice and Equality announced that any new restricted firearm certificates for centre fire semi-automatic rifles, granted between that date and the enactment of proposed legislation banning the future licensing of these types of firearms, shall stand revoked.
So on that basis anyone can go and get a restricted semi auto rifle as there is currently no law to prevent it. However if and when such legislation comes in it will be backdated to the Minister's original statement, and so stand revoked.

I've said this from day one, and also said it's a self imposed ban (no argument on that front), but it's still effective because who will buy knowing it will be lost at some point.
Quote:
Instead of bejammering the fact Martin asked this Dail question and imagining the end of days.Maybe it would be more helpful to find out WHY it was asked and by whom?...........................Sometime around that Markaov& silencer/suppressor being found ?
I was told the same thing on the semi auto ban, and it's gone form a statement to a declaration of intent.

The question might seem benign, and may end up being nothing, but i don't trust TDs, and they have reasons for everything they do. As you pointed out it coincides with the finding of the pistol, which i spoke about, but its chance to score more brownie points at our expense. Call it cautious apprehension.

Quote:
Belive it or not,we are in better shape than the UK,where Fuddism rules and there is less contact between the orgs than there is here.Sure thats Irish to try and make a quick buck off anyones back,
They got the general licenses re-instated. When was the last time we got something repealed?
Quote:
but where is the sports colation of vested intrests today?
I don't know what is scarier. The fact they are quiet....................... or the fact they are quiet.
Quote:
No,but they dont operate in a vaccum either. What one case settled in a DC,usually sets a precedent for others to follow.
You do know what court of record means? No precedent set, therefore no previous cases can be used as evidence.

Of course I'm open to correction if someone can show me that DCs are not court of records.
Quote:
Pass them on my details.
Will do.
Cass is offline  
19-06-2019, 19:37   #1190
Grizzly 45
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 10,811
Quote:
However it had the same effect albeit under a longer time frame. How many CF pistols are there now compared to 2004-06? How many restricted 22lr from then to now?
We danced this number before.Or look at it another way...How many dedicated people were there who didnt fold in the face of adversity,mwere dead serious about this, and fought and won and got their guns ?



Quote:
As for which ban i'm talking about this, and this. When i e-mailed the current Minister the reply i got was short, but this line in his response stood out:
And from your post.


· Proposal to establish new Firearms Assessment and Appeals Authority
Still not done and doubtful ,if ever as to when.As it would show them up as being even more woefully ignorant of the laws than they aleready are.

· Immediate cap on licensing of any new centre-fire semi-automatic rifles
No details given as to who what,when,where ,why ,how or timeline.Ergo we are self banning,and TBH they were obviously thinking a 0 to 2000 application wave like the handguns.

Minister signs new Statutory Instrument re-defining non-restricted handguns
Done and we are living with it,shooting away,A stupid bit of legislation as a bit of duct tape and some practise would negate any disadvantage anyone might have,were they doing somthing bad.

· An Garda Síochána to establish centralised licensing system for restricted firearms

PR bull****e,as event the antiquated PULSE system can drag up that info.IOW it isnt that badly broke to need fixing.

· Garda Inspectorate to review the administration of firearms licensing


Never done either ,as Frannie had pulled thier balls out of the very hot fire of their own making,and its hardly likely Charlie will want to go near that big tub of worms of Garda mismanagement and general incompetence and corruption as the force stands now.

[I]· Re-establishment of Firearms Consultative Panel[I]

Done,but we hardly hear much about it.
·IOW we can tell them,how about keeping all these promises to streamline the whole affair before considering regulating stuff first?






Then there is the new Garda Commissioner's guidelines in which he states:

S
Quote:
o on that basis anyone can go and get a restricted semi auto rifle as there is currently no law to prevent it. However if and when such legislation comes in it will be backdated to the Minister's original statement, and so stand revoked
.

Exactly,but when that might be,if ever is anyones guess.So do you want to risk it for a biscut and shoot a gun you'd like to shoot,or sit and engage in "whatifery"?

Quote:
I've said this from day one, and also said it's a self imposed ban (no argument on that front), but it's still effective because who will buy knowing it will be lost at some point.
I will,but thats just me,as life is too damn short to not do things you want to do. I dunno,the M1 carbine lads in gallery seem to be growing in number??So they must be granting liscenses?

I was told the same thing on the semi auto ban, and it's gone form a statement to a declaration of intent.

Quote:
The question might seem benign, and may end up being nothing, but i don't trust TDs, and they have reasons for everything they do. As you pointed out it coincides with the finding of the pistol, which i spoke about, but its chance to score more brownie points at our expense. Call it cautious apprehension.
FACT! I wouldnt trust that lot not to steal the pennies off their parents corpses eyes at a wake.I'd still like to know who asked the Dail question mind...TBH I think there is easier and now fruit at ground level for them to pick now with the grandiose Stalinesque 7 year plans of Leo and that knobhead Shane Ross,to get us out of our cars and onto busses while driving a laughable technological cul de sac called the electric car.

Quote:
They got the general licenses re-instated. When was the last time we got something repealed?
At the loss of;
MARS and lever action rifles,oddly shaped knives painted green/red with "Zombie" written on them,massive media attacks on IPSC shooting and "combat style shotguns" and ".22assault rifles".Another review in July /August on the situation with the above three items and possible further restriction/banning there.Not to mind,that the Home office and CPO office had been planning for the last five years to get rid of MARS/Lever release,as they were a legal way to tell the UK SA ban to go jump.We only got 6 months with the handgun ban,they had years to enter into consultations and deal with this problem.

Their main organisation trumpeting the success of saving the 50 Cal rifles in the UK,and the UK banning bumpstocks...:rolleyes:Congrats!!! you saved about 200 people shooting an ultra niche sport in the UK and are applauding banning an item for which no legal firearm in the UK will work with.While dumping disabled shooters who could use MARS/Lever release under the bus.The UK s now the only country int the EU that discriminates against disabled people who are shooters.
The only reason this has been changed back is.This was a missile straight into Fudd UK shooter countrys homeland,and the fact this is what happens when you listen to emotive table thumpers. That riled them to actually do something and showed the UK Fudd lobby ,that their SXS and .22s are NOT immune from attack either...Whether they take that lesson aboard remains to be seen.

Us OTOH,
Still have .22 pistols,still have CF pistols,still have semi auto CF.Dont have any laws demanding our knives are any particular shape or colour making them more dangerous ,or have doctors demanding our kitchen cutlery be rounded off to prevent stabbings.
https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/84...ly-knife-crime.
Depends on your outlook I guess,but I would say IRL has a slight edge on the UK still in sanity on firearms and knife matters.

Quote:
I don't know what is scarier. The fact they are quiet....................... or the fact they are quiet.
Or they know they are now toxic goods and no one will go near them ,and have quietly gone into the good night?




Quote:
You do know what court of record means? No precedent set, therefore no
Of course I'm open to correction if someone can show me that DCs are not court of records.
Correct,but as you know in Ireland,there is the law and "THE LAW" as my junior counsel told me,and you have to know which one you deal with here in legal proceedings.

Last edited by Grizzly 45; 19-06-2019 at 19:51.
Grizzly 45 is offline  
Advertisement
19-06-2019, 20:03   #1191
Grizzly 45
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 10,811
The first of many such cases.

Wonder how long it will be here before our criminals figure out this is the way to go?Its easy to liscense and restrict an item that takes some skill to make and manufacture.But if the technology is available to everyone,liscensing becomes virtually impossible.

https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-48...PLQGnlXlqwCBD4
Grizzly 45 is offline  
19-06-2019, 20:10   #1192
Cass
Moderator
 
Cass's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 22,329
Send a message via MSN to Cass
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly 45 View Post
And from your post.
This has been happening since we started this little back and forth. Do you not read or understand my posts? Not being rude or ignorant, but i've not once said the ban is anything other than self imposed.

However a self imposed ban, under the threat of a looming one, is still a ban. As i said to you earlier about 99% not going to court, 100% of people won't take the chance with the threat of a real ban looming.

Quote:
Exactly,but when that might be,if ever is anyones guess.So do you want to risk it for a biscut and shoot a gun you'd like to shoot,or sit and engage in "whatifery"?
The ban might come in soon or not at all, but with the threat of it looming who in their right mind would fork out between €1,500 to €3,500 for a semi auto rifle knowing that at any point if a ban is introduced it's gone.

I don't blame anyone for not taking that chance.

Those already with them will be grandfathered to avoid compensation, and they'll die away like the C/F pistols with enough time.

Quote:
So they must be granting liscenses?
Again i never said they were not being licensed, and how could they not grant them as there is no ban/law to prevent licensing them.

Quote:
Depends on your outlook I guess,but I would say IRL has a slight edge on the UK still in sanity on firearms and knife matters.
Wouldn't argue with any of that, and i even said as much myself before, but they have a larger voting block (per head of capita), and much better funded organisations. While i won't pretend to know the infighting, etc that obviously goes on, on the front it seems much better organised and coherent than our own groups as per the actions documented on this forum over the years.

Quote:
Or they know they are now toxic goods and no one will go near them ,and have quietly gone into the good night?
Yeeeaaaahhhhhhhhh.........................


I've missed a lot of the post because i cannot distinguish between what you're saying and what might be quotations from me or other sources.

I assume the suppressor issue is done with too?
Cass is offline  
19-06-2019, 20:38   #1193
tac foley
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 5,422
Grizzly - you wrote - 'Depends on your outlook I guess,but I would say IRL has a slight edge on the UK still in sanity on firearms and knife matters.'

Agreed in general, apart from the ludicrous licensing methods employed, the apparent hatred of firearms moderators, the woeful ignorance of people who ought to know a whole lot more about actual guns, rather than how to place more restrictions on them, the lack of general reloading, the looney restrictions placed on the number of airgun pellets that can legally be held, the empty cases count as live rounds thing, the nationwide prohibition on black powder firearms except for blank-firing reenactors, the 'Sure an' I don't like the look of dat' mentality, the limitations on handguns that make them five rounds only, or ten rounds for a long arm, the banning of so-called bull-pup arms of any kind, the total absence of any kind of IPSC or practical shotgun shooting, the restrictions on night-shooting equipment that uses a laser, ...............

Yup, you've got it made.
tac foley is offline  
19-06-2019, 21:00   #1194
Grizzly 45
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 10,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by tac foley View Post
Grizzly - you wrote - 'Depends on your outlook I guess,but I would say IRL has a slight edge on the UK still in sanity on firearms and knife matters.'

Agreed in general, apart from the ludicrous licensing methods employed, the apparent hatred of firearms moderators, the woeful ignorance of people who ought to know a whole lot more about actual guns, rather than how to place more restrictions on them, the lack of general reloading, the looney restrictions placed on the number of airgun pellets that can legally be held, the empty cases count as live rounds thing, the nationwide prohibition on black powder firearms except for blank-firing reenactors, the 'Sure an' I don't like the look of dat' mentality, the limitations on handguns that make them five rounds only, or ten rounds for a long arm, the banning of so-called bull-pup arms of any kind, the total absence of any kind of IPSC or practical shotgun shooting, the restrictions on night-shooting equipment that uses a laser, ...............

Yup, you've got it made.

Compared to coppers in Notts handing out rounded kitchen ware to prevent domestic stabbings with pointed knives? I know our lot arent the sharpest tools in the set either...But seriously??? OK we dont have IPSC or BP and just as thick&biased people in charge of liscensing as you UK lot,but we still hve 3things the UK lost,which seems to be a big craw drive in the UK,that us "paddies"still have stuff we cant."So in logisticswe would be to the UK slightly ahead.Inadmin and procedures,IRL/UK is on par. With losing stuff the UK is drawing ahead.You more thn likely ,unless major **** getting together action occurs between now and end of July,will face further restrictions on .22 semi autos and box fed shotguns and IPSC.
Grizzly 45 is offline  
Advertisement
19-06-2019, 21:28   #1195
tac foley
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 5,422
I guess we'll call it a draw, then......I have to admit that the madmen really do seem to be taking over the asylum with regard to the blunt knife thing - you couldn't make up something that stupid if you tried.
tac foley is offline  
Thanks from:
19-06-2019, 21:38   #1196
Grizzly 45
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 10,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cass View Post
This has been happening since we started this little back and forth. Do you not read or understand my posts? Not being rude or ignorant, but i've not once said the ban is anything other than self imposed
.

I read your epistiles with the greatest of my attention...And yes,I/we have quite got that message,but in this case could you refer to the points I took "from your posts" RE all the stuff that was mentioned in your link perhaps?

Quote:
However a self imposed ban, under the threat of a looming one, is still a ban. As i said to you earlier about 99% not going to court, 100% of people won't take the chance with the threat of a real ban looming.
"Looming" being the operative word,and also the imprecise definition.It might happen or it might not happen in our lifetimes,[or at least mine] We had the same looming threat with the TCO 72 that if we pushed we'd loose everything,and it only took 32 years for us to call the bluff.

Quote:
The ban might come in soon or not at all, but with the threat of it looming who in their right mind would fork out between €1,500 to €3,500 for a semi auto rifle knowing that at any point if a ban is introduced it's gone.
WHERE ARE you shopping at those prices??:DThats cheap for some brands.Try 4to 5k for SIG,or 500 euro for a Ruger mini 14 or 300 to 700 for an SKS or m1 carbine is all I'd be paying to import Actually at the moment the AR platform is at its cheapest ever in history.You can get a Palmetto state Armoury .308 kit for under 500 usd,from our US gun parts monopoly here in Ireland.Even building one from Egun parts would allow you to put one together for under a grand here. Agreed,its not like going off and buying a single shot Baikal for 50 quid,it's part of the game that you have to put your money down and take your chances if you want to be a player.


Quote:
I don't blame anyone for not taking that chance.
Neither do I,but then you are not entitled to bemoan the fact that you cant own one either when you can.

Quote:
Those already with them will be grandfathered to avoid compensation, and they'll die away like the C/F pistols with enough time.
Exactly,so talk of bans on types isnt in the Govts best intrest.short of maybe post a Doomsday event like a mass shooting here.But you can be assured then EVERYONE wont be safe in that case,no matter what type of a gun you have.

Quote:
Again i never said they were not being licensed, and how could they not grant them as there is no ban/law to prevent licensing them.
Yup called an oxymoron.


Quote:
Wouldn't argue with any of that, and i even said as much myself before, but they have a larger voting block (per head of capita), and much better funded organisations. While i won't pretend to know the infighting, etc that obviously goes on, on the front it seems much better organised and coherent than our own groups as per the actions documented on this forum over the years.
Not by a long shot.Where we had Sparks famous spidergram of the Irish shooting orgs,were you to do it with the UK,it would look like a modern artwork.Utterly indecipherable, with who is in charge of what.They actually have wayy too many orgs who are perpetually infighting and in a state of flux and alliances and doing each other in.This actually has happened because of "we need another organisationitis" Plus the utter Fuddism that permates the whole hunting/target shooting factions is horrific. We actually are luckyin that sense over here in the ROI,after the upheavels over thelast decade,we kind of ejected our Job for lifers and Fudds out of the organisations,and dont really have the looking down the nose at others as much as the UK has.



Quote:
I've missed a lot of the post because i cannot distinguish between what you're saying and what might be quotations from me or other sources.
Cleaned it up about five times,so apologies if you missed anything.



Quote:
I assume the suppressor issue is done with too
?

Guess so,unless you want to add anything else to the silencer/suppressor issue?
Grizzly 45 is offline  
19-06-2019, 23:57   #1197
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 282
I wondered what the virtue signallers who run this dump were going to do next after they finished messing around with gays/abortion/destroying marriage referenda etc. It seems they are going to ban the sale of internal combustion engined cars in 11 years time. It will be a great success like Irish water and the Shell gas field off the west coast were.

So 2030, no more ICE cars.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/ca...tml#newcomment
oldgit1897 is offline  
Thanks from:
20-06-2019, 00:21   #1198
Cass
Moderator
 
Cass's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 22,329
Send a message via MSN to Cass
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly 45 View Post
RE all the stuff that was mentioned in your link perhaps?
Must check that link because it's only a few lines, i didn't think it said all that.
Quote:
"Looming" being the operative word,and also the imprecise definition.
Looming - appear as a vague form, especially one that is large or threatening. Seems legit enough to me.
Quote:
We had the same looming threat with the TCO 72 that if we pushed we'd loose everything,and it only took 32 years for us to call the bluff.
32 years!

We had centrefire, large caliber, rifle, C/F semi autos, etc. all back well within that 32 year period. C/F Pistols were only the last thing and that only lasted a whopping 4 years.
Quote:
WHERE ARE you shopping at those prices??
Unless they're free there is a risk, however small, of losing the cost.
Quote:
Neither do I,but then you are not entitled to bemoan the fact that you cant own one either when you can.
True, but i don't know anyone who moans about not having one seeing as how you can still apply for one. It's not like C/F pistols.
Quote:
Yup called an oxymoron.
More like catch 22. Or how about damned if you do, and perhaps damned if you don't.

Quote:
Cleaned it up about five times,so apologies if you missed anything.
Not trying to be a dick, but if it's not in quotes i assume it's you. When i read it and it sounds familiar i realise its mine, then it bleeds into you again.

Just a small tip. Always make sure there are quotation marks on either side of whatever it is the other person is saying you want to quote/highlight. It's this icon or you can manually type them in using the quote in brackets with the desired text within the markers, like this, [quote] TEXT [//quote] (just use one backslash. I only used two to stop it quoting).
Quote:
Guess so,unless you want to add anything else to the silencer/suppressor issue?
Nah, i think everyone has had quite enough of it.

Last edited by Cass; 20-06-2019 at 00:24.
Cass is offline  
20-06-2019, 00:41   #1199
Cass
Moderator
 
Cass's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 22,329
Send a message via MSN to Cass
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgit1897 View Post
I wondered what the virtue signallers who run this dump were going to do next after they finished messing around with gays/abortion/destroying marriage referenda etc.
I'd hardly call any of that "messing around with". They are all serious issues, regardless of personal beliefs on each topic.
Quote:
I wondered what the virtue signallers who run this dump were going to do next...........

On the subject of banning all cars i have a few questions:
  • What happens the €5 BILLION in revenue that excise, VRT and VAT on cars brings in?
  • What about road tax revenue as EVs have no emissions so pay the minimum road tax of €120.
  • What about the revenue from fuel sales?
  • With an estimated 1,100 charing points around the country what are the plans to increase this number to accommodate for the millions of cars that will need them?
  • What about the cost of EV cars with the Government grant scheme due to end in 2021 (2 years, and cheaper cars starting at €30,000, the average ones at €50,000 and others into the €90,000 mark.)
  • What about people that cannot afford a new car?
  • What about rural areas that in this day and age don't even have bus services let alone charging points.
  • What happens when the batteries have expired?
  • How are the batteries disposed off?
  • Has anyone calculated the total carbon footprint from producing electric cars compared to the lifetime output of an internal combustion engine?
  • How about the mining of minerals, and the child labour used, that strips the land?

The biggest question i always have is where does the magic fairy dust that runs these eco friendly cars going to come from. Ireland relies heavily on solid fuel and natural for generating electricity.

In America last year 0.97% of the countries electrical needs were met with wind powered turbines, 0.75% with solar panels while in the same period consumption rose by 2.9%, and coal/fossil fuels still account for 70.8% of total generation.

Germany re-opeing two coal fuel plants because their "green dream" failed miserably.

So where is the power coming from?
Cass is offline  
Thanks from:
20-06-2019, 00:57   #1200
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cass View Post
I'd hardly call any of that "messing around with". They are all serious issues, regardless of personal beliefs on each topic.

On the subject of banning all cars i have a few questions:
  • What happens the €5 BILLION in revenue that excise, VRT and VAT on cars brings in?
  • What about road tax revenue as EVs have no emissions so pay the minimum road tax of €120.
  • What about the revenue from fuel sales?
  • With an estimated 1,100 charing points around the country what are the plans to increase this number to accommodate for the millions of cars that will need them?
  • What about the cost of EV cars with the Government grant scheme due to end in 2021 (2 years, and cheaper cars starting at €30,000, the average ones at €50,000 and others into the €90,000 mark.)
  • What about people that cannot afford a new car?
  • What about rural areas that in this day and age don't even have bus services let alone charging points.
  • What happens when the batteries have expired?
  • How are the batteries disposed off?
  • Has anyone calculated the total carbon footprint from producing electric cars compared to the lifetime output of an internal combustion engine?
  • How about the mining of minerals, and the child labour used, that strips the land?

The biggest question i always have is where does the magic fairy dust that runs these eco friendly cars going to come from. Ireland relies heavily on solid fuel and natural for generating electricity.

In America last year 0.97% of the countries electrical needs were met with wind powered turbines, 0.75% with solar panels while in the same period consumption rose by 2.9%, and coal/fossil fuels still account for 70.8% of total generation.

Germany re-opeing two coal fuel plants because their "green dream" failed miserably.

So where is the power coming from?


Its a case of announce something first with great fanfare, and then cop on later (if not before) that its all horse feathers. It seems to be the way this country is run now, for getting likes on facebook or social media like a teenage girl.

As you say a lot of this green stuff is pure fairy tales. The Germans closed a huge amount of their power generation because it was old technology and started using gas, russian gas, then they copped the fact that putin had them by the short hairs.
oldgit1897 is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet