Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Storm Lorenzo Chat Thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

How long till the next storm??

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

easypazz wrote: »
    What storm? I have been along the coast of 4 of the 5 counties in the orange zone and it didnt happen.

I have spoken with locals who are well used to winter storms and the unanimous consensus is this was a non event.

I spoke to a friend in Kilkee today. He said they have had plenty of real storms over the years but Larenzo was a 'pussy cat' by comparison. By the time the RTE people arrived they knew that the 'storm' was going to be no worse than a dozen other wind events that they get every year and certainly nothing compared to a big storm they had 5 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

easypazz wrote: »
    What storm? I have been along the coast of 4 of the 5 counties in the orange zone and it didnt happen.

I have spoken with locals who are well used to winter storms and the unanimous consensus is this was a non event.

That's what I have got today from two long time residents in the so called orange areas. Both have said it was a normal Atlantic gale with a sea swell. Absolutely nothing abnormal and certainly nothing compared to what they would expect through the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Did RTE have that Lorenzo Special Live at 9 am this morning or did they see sense and axe it?

I was critical of the nationwide Red for Ophelia and still believe it was ridiculous. On the other hand, I think Met Éireann got their warnings fairly bang on this time, given the data available at the time. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. As it turned out the warnings proved to be overdone, but at the time they decided them I reckon the data warranted them.

The biggest disappointment this time has been RTE, normally one media outlet you can rely on for not overhyping. George Lee is a disgrace and should now be fired. Ray thingy presenting Six One has shown that he belongs back where he started, on TV3 / Virgin. He was almost as bad as Lee. The overall decision yesterday to air both Morning Ireland and then a live special on TV this morning is laughable. Even if the conditions turned out as bad as the most severe forecasts had earlier shown, there was no need for it. I fear RTE now feels that in order to survive among the increasing range of clickbait nonsense it has to follow the crowd and stoop to the same level.

The only good bit was Pat McGrath's report from Clare this morning where he seemed fairly tongue in cheek in reporting "a few twigs" was about the extent of it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Did RTE have that Lorenzo Special Live at 9 am this morning or did they see sense and axe it?

I was critical of the nationwide Red for Ophelia and still believe it was ridiculous. On the other hand, I think Met Éireann got their warnings fairly bang on this time, given the data available at the time. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. As it turned out the warnings proved to be overdone, but at the time they decided them I reckon the data warranted them.

The biggest disappointment this time has been RTE, normally one media outlet you can rely on for not overhyping. George Lee is a disgrace and should now be fired. Ray thingy presenting Six One has shown that he belongs back where he started, on TV3 / Virgin. He was almost as bad as Lee. The overall decision yesterday to air both Morning Ireland and then a live special on TV this morning is laughable. Even if the conditions turned out as bad as the most severe forecasts had earlier shown, there was no need for it. I fear RTE now feels that in order to survive among the increasing range of clickbait nonsense it has to follow the crowd and stoop to the same level.

The only good bit was Pat McGrath's report from Clare this morning where he seemed fairly tongue in cheek in reporting "a few twigs" was about the extent of it there.

And don't forget Theresa Mannions live report from Salthill which was embarrassing to watch giving out about people out walking while she was standing out in the rain for the drama

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

A nice extended spell out on the M6 Buoy to do a bit of reporting is the right place for a few of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,276 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Did RTE have that Lorenzo Special Live at 9 am this morning or did they see sense and axe it? .

its on the rte player ffs

Storm 10 wrote: »
    And don't forget Theresa Mannions live report from Salthill which was embarrassing to watch giving out about people out walking while she was standing out in the rain for the drama

I thought it showed good production thinking that when they went back to her for a second report she had dispensed with the headgear so that her hair got nice and wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Someone mentioned the eerie and ominous feeling before Ophelia landed. What actually causes that atmosphere before a major storm?

Someone mentioned the eerie and ominous feeling before Ophelia landed. What actually causes that atmosphere before a major storm?

I often get that feeling when I am arriving home late from the pub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

Roger_007 wrote: »
    I often get that feeling when I am arriving home late from the pub.

Alright Andy Cap! Is she waiting with the rolling pin? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Roger_007 wrote: »
    I thought it showed good production thinking that when they went back to her for a second report she had dispensed with the headgear so that her hair got nice and wet.

Don't forget when she was bracing herself against the wind while a fella strolled past in the background with his hands in his pockets and not a bother on him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

A vivid imagination.

Others were going on about the calm before the storm - it happened to be calm in places with no impending gales too.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,943 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

the calm before the calm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

A vivid imagination.

Others were going on about the calm before the storm - it happened to be calm in places with no impending gales too.

Don’t forget about the animals behaving unusually too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

It was barely a breeze,
    I've had worse after a chicken satay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

I have to be critical of Met Eireann.
    Some on here are saying the storm did not deliver what the models were showing. That's actually an infactual statement. It was clear for days that the ex hurricane was either going to miss us or deliver very little. I can't think of any model that was. Also everyone on here from the get off queried why Cork got an orange alert. I know they backtracked but too late by then
    I mean Met Eireann had the benefit of daily conversations with nhc. Surely they could see the models were backing away from.a bad storm.
    They seemed to totally ignore gfs and icon even though they were most accurate in the end.
    Storm names, county by county warnings ffs just bring back the old phrase windy in the North and West!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Some on here are saying the storm did not deliver what the models were showing. That's actually an infactual statement. It was clear for days that the ex hurricane was either going to miss us or deliver very little. I can't think of any model that was. Also everyone on here from the get off queried why Cork got an orange alert. I know they backtracked but too late by then
    I mean Met Eireann had the benefit of daily conversations with nhc. Surely they could see the models were backing away from.a bad storm.
    They seemed to totally ignore gfs and icon even though they were most accurate in the end.
    Storm names, county by county warnings ffs just bring back the old phrase windy in the North and West!
    Exactly,"there WAS a massive hurricane which is heading our way but will be more or less blown out when it reaches here--it will be very windy/possibly stormy in the North West--keep tuned for further updates" instead of a week of b0ll0x talk

• Registered Users Posts: 32,943 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I listened to the weather report on the Newstalk news bulletin this morning.

It went something along the line of "it'll be wet and windy generally today", while I was driving in glorious sunshine with not a breeze on the road from Omagh to Monaghan.

One size doesn't fit all. Obviously the weather was aimed at Dublin.

I thought ME were fairly spot on with the forecasts. Obviously they have to play it a bit on the safety first side, they’d be criticized badly if they didn’t.

But most of the country had a yellow warning and that was just about justified. Some windier than normal weather but nothing major.

And then orange for coastal areas were apparently it was a good bit worse.

What’s baffling is why the media went all out predicting a doomsday storm when that was never forecast.

The national broadcaster at least should have a duty to give accurate news reports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I thought ME were fairly spot on with the forecasts. Obviously they have to play it a bit on the safety first side, they’d be criticized badly if they didn’t.

But most of the country had a yellow warning and that was just about justified. Some windier than normal weather but nothing major.

What’s baffling is why the media went all out predicting a doomsday storm when that was never forecast.

The national broadcaster at least should have a duty to give accurate news reports.
    I think they need to look at the yellow warning. It really isn't one and tacking on the word warning gives it an urgency it just doesn't merit.
    (Very) Windy, wet, with the possibility of localised flooding works a lot better IMO.
    I thought the NI weather warning linked to earlier was a better effort of defining affected areas. As we are only in October there'll be a fair few more warnings over the winter and they need to make better calls on how they are issued or they will be increasingly more likely to be ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

I can't understand why they went all out on this, when they're screaming about being broke and not getting enough licence fees etc. It was actually embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Irish media should be ashamed of themselves,due to rte dropping in numbers viewing they are trying to attract younger audience so there basing there news feed on American trash news sites.
    Plus a number of members not ALL on here who have Facebook pages also feed the ignorance of the uneducated.
    Posting there own weather warnings since last Monday and those warnings based on extreme charts at the time even using similar Warnings to met earann.
    This just caused confusion people believing someone down the road trowing warnings around because they think they know better than met earann.
    The masses eat it up.
    Nobody is been held responsible for the driviel they produce , wether it main stream media or online.
    And it's only going to get worse, wait for a decent winter charts to come and you won't have to worry about mail saying months of snow.
    It will be on the news and Facebook and people will believe it sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I think the media went overboard for two reasons;

1. The media hype from the recent climate protests
    2. The fact that Lorenzo briefly reached Cat 5. The fact that it's the most easterly Cat 5 on record was twisted and worded into a message that implied that we were possibly in for a CAT 5. Several news bulletins on the radio said "Lorenzo is the first Cat 5 this far north and east". "This far north and east" can easily be understood to mean Ireland's latitude, so it was sloppy journalism at best that further fuelled the frenzy. Lorenzo dropped below Cat 5 while still 4200 km from Ireland (at 22.7N 44.7W, further south than Miami's latitude), but I didn't hear that being mentioned anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

This whole non event was a disgrace. The gubberment and their strategy meetings with a whole show of people there including.....The Revenue Commissioners, what have they got to do with a storm possibility
    RTE our national broadcaster embarrassed themselves and let the population down.George Lee needs to be done away with.
    Personally I lost 2 days of work that I could have done on Thursday and Friday but I stupidly listened to all this nonsense and now I`m 2 days back with a project

The boy who cried wolf, thats what it is,no-one will ever pay heed to these warnings ever again

Just a little ‘aside’ , has anyone ever heard a more doom laden voice than George Lee ? He’d make you think you were going to your own funeral . Wonder does he speak to his missus like that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

ZX7R wrote: »

Irish media should be ashamed of themselves,due to rte dropping in numbers viewing they are trying to attract younger audience so there basing there news feed on American trash news sites.
    Plus a number of members not ALL on here who have Facebook pages also feed the ignorance of the uneducated.
    Posting there own weather warnings since last Monday and those warnings based on extreme charts at the time even using similar Warnings to met earann.
    This just caused confusion people believing someone down the road trowing warnings around because they think they know better than met earann.
    The masses eat it up.
    Nobody is been held responsible for the driviel they produce , wether it main stream media or online.
    And it's only going to get worse, wait for a decent winter charts to come and you won't have to worry about mail saying months of snow.
    It will be on the news and Facebook and people will believe it sadly.

Yes. Someone was telling me about the massive storm on its way. "It's all over the internet" he said. Oh! well then...must be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Just a little ‘aside’ , has anyone ever heard a more doom laden voice than George Lee ? He’d make you think you were going to your own funeral . Wonder does he speak to his missus like that ?

Fergal Bowers the health correspondent is quite doom laden too,but not in the same hyper doom voice as George.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

It has rained more in five hours today that it did during all of Thursday and Friday,but there are no alerts, because it didn't come from the remains of a northeast moving Hurricane,so therefore it does not merit any hyper activity by our climate change agenda ridden national broadcaster and other media.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 271 ✭✭lleti

Yep true. Weather today was worse than during the week, good job I wasn't driving or it would be dangerous but not a weather warning in sight!

Eoghan Murphy is a disgrace too, wanting to be seen as the great man guiding us to safety in an "emergency" while his failure as minister still bellows on.

Advertisement