Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PERSONAL WEATHER STATIONS: Queries and Advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Do you use the converted sea level pressure to compare to the airport values, just out of interest?

Have you tried doing anything with your temp and humidity sensors? Not so easy at all for them

I take the high pressure reading from Met Eireann and set that as absolute pressure and the software does its conversion. I only seem to have problems after extremes.

Temp, I tend to knock 2° off in Summer and add 2° in Winter ~ temp is not consistent showing warmer in warmth and colder in the cold ~ does not maintain a linear error. I have made an extra shade for the sensor housing which helps a bit but not enough.

I don't seem to have a problem with humidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Has anyone running their own weather station for over a year now got any of their instruments recalibrated? Is that even possible with personal weather stations?

I am fortunate enough that my own station sits in the same site as the Met Eireann station. There is rarely any huge difference (~+/-0.4c) between the Davis and the manual thermometers.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Danno wrote: »
    I am fortunate enough that my own station sits in the same site as the Met Eireann station. There is rarely any huge difference (~+/-0.4c) between the Davis and the manual thermometers.

Interesting, and how long have you been running yours for?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Guys thinking about getting this as its on special offer at the moment, anyone have and what are they like any help appreciated.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/silver-usb-wireless-touchscreen-weather-forecaster-n96fy

[Note: Thread Merged]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Hooter23

I got one last september havn't had a problem with it so far it survived all the storms anyway....
    There is one thing though I have it in direct sunlight and the temperature is not right when its sunny other people who had this problem just put some reflective foil tape on it problem solved have not tried that yet though.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Guys thinking about getting this as its on special offer at the moment, anyone have and what are they like any help appreciated.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/silver-usb-wireless-touchscreen-weather-forecaster-n96fy

I'd recommend going for the slightly cheaper N96GY
    It's the same station, just a different colour and this model has the added advantage of a synchronised clock

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Hooter23 wrote: »
    I got one last september havn't had a problem with it so far it survived all the storms anyway....
    There is one thing though I have it in direct sunlight and the temperature is not right when its sunny other people who had this problem just put some reflective foil tape on it problem solved have not tried that yet though.....

Any problems with the signal from the roof to where you have the unit mounted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Any problems with the signal from the roof to where you have the unit mounted

No problems with the signal at all since I've had it....

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭codie

Got the N96gy at Maplins when it was on offer and put it away.Got it for my 6yr old when his 7th birthday comes during the week.He seems to be very interested in weather so just got it as a little hobby for him.I have read about these units eating AA batteries and the sales guy told me they were pretty heavy on them .Anyone tell me how heavy?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

codie wrote: »
    G.I have read about these units eating AA batteries and the sales guy told me they were pretty heavy on them .Anyone tell me how heavy?

Three to six months depending on the quality of battery.

However, the batteries are still perfectly good for other things like torches and radios so don't throw them away.

It appears the stations want a high voltage so it decides batteries are flat when still quite good, that's my latest theory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭codie

Red Nissan wrote: »
    Three to six months depending on the quality of battery.

However, the batteries are still perfectly good for other things like torches and radios so don't throw them away.

It appears the stations want a high voltage so it decides batteries are flat when still quite good, that's my latest theory.

Not that bad I was picturing throwing batteries every couple of weeks

codie wrote: »
    Got the N96gy at Maplins when it was on offer and put it away.Got it for my 6yr old when his 7th birthday comes during the week.He seems to be very interested in weather so just got it as a little hobby for him.I have read about these units eating AA batteries and the sales guy told me they were pretty heavy on them .Anyone tell me how heavy?

Make sure you use lithium batteries codie.
    The station transmitter will stop working once the battery charge falls below 1.1v so if you use anything less than lithium batteries you will be replacing them every month or so.
    When I had a Maplin station I needed to replace the batteries approx. twice yearly at most.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Have this station - http://www.amazon.com/Ambient-Weather-WS-1080-Wireless-Logging/dp/B003E7H5HW/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

and had a problem with the anenometer in that it seized up after months mind you, ordered a new one online, it worked for about a week and got stuck again - this was a new anenometer and the darn thing is stuck again.

Any suggestions barring sending it back to the retailer (only cost about €4.00) in how to fix it?

No point in keep purchasing new ones if they are just going to break after a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,462 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

I'd say it's quite unusual.

I've the same weather station for approx 4 years, and no problem at all.

Stuck once only, when got frozen during famous 2010 winter. :D

Once you have two of them now, try to open up one of them, clean it up and put some grease/oil maybe?

vicwatson wrote: »
    Have this station - http://www.amazon.com/Ambient-Weather-WS-1080-Wireless-Logging/dp/B003E7H5HW/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

and had a problem with the anenometer in that it seized up after months mind you, ordered a new one online, it worked for about a week and got stuck again - this was a new anenometer and the darn thing is stuck again.

Any suggestions barring sending it back to the retailer (only cost about €4.00) in how to fix it?

No point in keep purchasing new ones if they are just going to break after a week.

It's generally a problem with the bearings seizing through getting rusty or dirty. Is there water getting into the housing? I've seen reports of the same problem over on the Sandaysoft forum & apart from send it back for a replacement, you could try prising the housing apart and oiling with some light machine oil or replacing the bearings. If it's only been a few weeks I'd send it back tbh - you probably got a dodgy replacement unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Any opinions on this? http://uk.oregonscientific.com/cat-Weather-sub-Anywhere-Weather-prod-Anywhere-Weather-Station-Advanced.html#.U6A0pvldU2Z

I very much like the idea of the data being sent directly to the portal for ease of use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

I got this and then returned it as there was no ability to access data directly as well as via their portal. While the portal idea was good, I wanted to be able to download the readings to my own (yet to be built at the time) server running weewx or equivalent.

In general terms it looked good (better than other Oregon Scientific devices), but the lack of ability to download the data ruled it out for me. If you only want a portal hosted externally then go for it.

z

Thank you. Do you think the portal does not give you enough information or you just wanted your own server for the sake of playing around with it?

It was more that I wanted my own server to play with. If I got the portal as an extra that was fine. But the portal as an only solution . . . not so fine.

As far as I remember the model you linked to supports 10 remote probes, so you could measure (and record) the temperature in all the rooms of the house (or 9 of them at least) and outside as well. Other Oregon Scientific ones only support 4 I think.

z

Zag how long ago did you try it? I created an account on the portal and I can see an export data choice, did you have that before?

Fk4QcNr.png

Edit: Just read the reviews on amazon, they make it look like a horrible product! Is there anything else like this from another company?

• Advertisement

Astra - I don't think I even got that far. From what I recall the lack of ability to communicate directly ruled it out. I think I remember seeing the function you referenced, but I would have to upload the data first and then download it again manually instead of just having an automated direct link.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

joujoujou wrote: »
    FYP :pac:

Cumulus can calibrate FineWeather stations no problem. :)

Memory erasing is actually not really necessary - if memory's full, the newest data will overwrite the oldest. But can be done directly on unit's display - touch, then touch and hold memory icon.

=======================

Solar charger equipped version on ebay:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/330475014848

Competitive price I'd say. :)

Always wanted to setup a weather station outside my house :) ordered that solar version. I was looking at the Davis unit but the initial price for the Vue unit put me off. This unit I will hopefully hang off my server at home to grab data.

Anyone have any idea of the range of the wireless unit from the sensors?

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea of the range of the wireless unit from the sensors?

450 feet in open ground according to the manual

• Registered Users Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Lumi wrote: »
    450 feet in open ground according to the manual

I like this odds! Thanks for the info

Unregistered Users

Open ground vs. obstructions: I have additional display in a shed, approximately 30 metres away from transmitter.

And six concrete walls between.

No problem at all. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Any one purchase one of these before & if so is it any use?
    weather station.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭left_behind

Just bought an aercus weather station ws3038.
    weather station

I have no connection for the outdoor temperature and outdoor humidity.
    I have tried resetting rechecked connections and batteries.

The wind and uv working no prob.

Unregistered Users

Yet another FineOffset clone.

More than likely it's transmitter unit (outdoor thing with batteries in) is faulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭rochestown

Can anyone recommend a weather station that will connect with my home WiFi and can be accessed on my Android phone?

Something reasonably priced fort a beginner...

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Don't know much about this but maybe worth checking out....

http://www.amazon.com/Netatmo-Weather-Station-Android-Devices/dp/B0095HVAKS

Advertisement