Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Reusable/Cloth pads

• 10-10-2019 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

During the summer, I had a period where I became all red and sore and itchy. During the day the itch wasn't bad but at night time, I scratched myself so much.

It wasn't the first time I was itchy during my period. I thought maybe the pads I was using was the culprit. I sat on the toilet and I was so so sore. I thought wouldn't it be great if pads were made from more natural materials, breathable materials, maybe like babies cloth nappies.

I searched online and sure enough there's a whole entire world of cloth pads online. I found an online shop from England with a range of pads in different lengths and thickness or absorbancies. I calculated my period days and I did a rough estimate on what I would need. I bought a starter pack of pads and a few more long heavies. I decided to avoid white pads and stick with coloured top fabrics so that I wouldn't need to worry so much about staining.

My order came in the mail and I gave them a wash in the machine and hung them to dry in preparation for my next period.

I used cloth pads for the first time last month. The experience was hugely enjoyable. They were so comfortable and I couldn't believe I didn't know about them sooner. On day three of my period, I hardly noticed I was on my period. It was amazing. I did itch but it was just a little itchy which passed quickly without the need for a scratch and it certainly wasn't as intense as previous periods.

For going out for the day, I had a toiletry bag where I had some clean cloth pads, folded up and snapped closed. There's wings on the pads with snappers and thats how they stay in underwear without the stick or the glue of disposables. My pads have fleece backings on them and that helps too with grip.

I'm no stranger to my period any more so the washing and cleaning of the pads wasn't bothersome. I dry stored all the pads I used til the end of my period. That means folding them up after using and placing them into a waterproof bag. At the end of my period, I soaked them all in cold water and a stain remover for a few hours. Then I put them in for a cold wash in the machine. Followed by a 40 Degrees wash. It's the drying of the pads that I hate the most because of the wet weather.

I had a fantastic experience.

Before I bought all my cloth pads, I have a large stash of disposable pads. Still unopened in their packets. I don't know what to do with these. I really don't think I can go back to disposables now I won't be using them. I don't want to throw them out into the bin either because of wastage. Does anybody know if homeless charities or other charities with shoebox appeals for supplies as an example, takes packages of disposable pads?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Glad to hear you've had a good experience with them!
    Before I bought all my cloth pads, I have a large stash of disposable pads. Still unopened in their packets. I don't know what to do with these. I really don't think I can go back to disposables now I won't be using them. I don't want to throw them out into the bin either because of wastage. Does anybody know if homeless charities or other charities with shoebox appeals for supplies as an example, takes packages of disposable pads?

We had a collection in work before for Homeless Period Ireland. I don't know much about them myself, but we were given the links below if you want to read up about them. We donated loads of pads and tampons, so sounds like the type of thing you're looking for!

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/homelessperiodIreland/
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/homelessperiodireland/
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/homelessperiodd

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I bought cloth pads last year and find them so soft and comfortable. I recently had a baby so the pads haven't been used in a while but I will start using them again when I need them. I have considered a Moon Cup too but will explore that at another time when childbirth is a distant memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 RedParrot

woodchuck wrote: »
    Glad to hear you've had a good experience with them!

We had a collection in work before for Homeless Period Ireland. I don't know much about them myself, but we were given the links below if you want to read up about them. We donated loads of pads and tampons, so sounds like the type of thing you're looking for!

Thank you so much. I never knew about that charity but its exactly what I'm looking for. I drop them a message later to see if they take donations in the mail because I don't have a drop of point local to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 RedParrot

I bought cloth pads last year and find them so soft and comfortable. I recently had a baby so the pads haven't been used in a while but I will start using them again when I need them. I have considered a Moon Cup too but will explore that at another time when childbirth is a distant memory.

Cloth pads are so amazing and I won't be going back to disposables.

I looked into mooncup before but I feel it won't fit into my life or my schedule. The idea of a cup possibly getting stuck doesn't appeal to me and I won't have time to fiddle around in the bathroom. There's also the downside rushing and the possibility of spilling a cup once removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Shybride2016

RedParrot wrote: »
    Cloth pads are so amazing and I won't be going back to disposables.

I looked into mooncup before but I feel it won't fit into my life or my schedule. The idea of a cup possibly getting stuck doesn't appeal to me and I won't have time to fiddle around in the bathroom. There's also the downside rushing and the possibility of spilling a cup once removed.

I’ve had a mooncup the last few years and switched to cloth pads about 6 months ago. I occasionally use disposable pantyliners and the difference is very noticeable in terms of discomfit and itchiness for me. I love the cloth pads but definitely couldn’t use them without the mooncup because of how heavy my periods are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭silent_spark

If you're looking at cups, do some research first. Many people find the Mooncup too hard, but there are other brands. It's great if you have easy access to a toilet and sink, but I personally wouldn't use it if I was going to have to empty it in a normal public bathroom with communal sinks. Cloth pads are so wonderful, they've been my favourite zero waste lifestyle change - I would never go back to disposables.

Advertisement