Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2019/2020 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭esposito

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Have to shake my head saying "if only it were December, or January" with this evening's GFS 12z for early to mid October.

A carbon copy of last October so!

And we all know what’s in store for us this December and January then.

At least I won’t be disappointed this winter because I am expecting a typical Irish mild winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Artane2002

esposito wrote: »

At least I won’t be disappointed this winter because I am expecting a typical Irish mild winter.
    I haven't seen any charts but it doesn't sound like a carbon copy of early October to me, which was mild and sunny. Maybe you mean the late October northerly, which funnily enough brought among the coldest conditions of the autumn and winter and it wouldn't surprise me if it was the coldest spell but I don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

What a waste. Tragic!

UN120-21.GIF?26-18

What a waste. Tragic!

UN120-21.GIF?26-18

If we were looking at that chart in winter that HP to the southwest would find a way to ruin cold potential for us!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,621 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Sadists showing that now:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

Lucky sods.
    That's a place i've always wanted to visit. Thanks for the article. Regarding our winter, i hope the low solar activity plays a decisive factor this year.

Lucky sods.
    That's a place i've always wanted to visit. Thanks for the article. Regarding our winter, i hope the low solar activity plays a decisive factor this year.

One State I have always wanted to see to. and looking at pictures like this (from the article) really just makes me think that maybe, the grass is sometimes greener.

mtdot-vid-000301001-00-02-2019-09-30-14-51_wide-5662b1752b0532a79d2ca975d13b133069515e01-s800-c85.jpg

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

My OH was in Canada for the past week (Alberta), it got progressively colder from 25 degrees start of the week to sub zero and snow by the end of the week. The plane had to be de-iced before take off in Calgary yesterday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

There was a mention yesterday of light snow on the Scottish mountains in connection with Lorenzo...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

esposito wrote: »

Literally feels like that's what it's ramping up to be alright. Another mild, wet Irish Winter. Yay. :(

In other news, as sure as the sun rises in the east, our good friend Madden has predicted a cold and snowy winter. Its a genius strategy because every 10 years or so he will be right, and the press won't focus on the nine times he got it wrong. The Daily Express probably pay him a bonus to predict snowmageddon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

In other news, as sure as the sun rises in the east, our good friend Madden has predicted a cold and snowy winter. Its a genius strategy because every 10 years or so he will be right, and the press won't focus on the nine time he got it wrong. The Daily Express probably pay him a bonus to predict snowmageddon.

Wait for it - George Lee will be banging on about it on RTE next!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Same s*** every year...its like Groundhog day...Winter - 3 months of Blizzards on the way...Summer - Record Heatwave on the way...:rolleyes:

To think we have almost six months of this s***e ahead of us before northern blocking sets in next April is totally depressing.

UW144-21.GIF?10-07

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

To think we have almost six months of this s***e ahead of us before northern blocking sets in next April is totally depressing.

UW144-21.GIF?10-07

Elmer, you don't think 10 Oct is a bit early to be depressed about the coming winter even by your standards?

Elmer, you don't think 10 Oct is a bit early to be depressed about the coming winter even by your standards?
    No real northern blocking during a winter month since December 2010 tells me all I need to know. I see no reason why Svalbard for example won't be up to 6-8 degrees above normal AGAIN this winter.
    Even mild winters half a century ago could deliver a few snowy days from a potent northerly, northerlies now only last about a day and aren't even cold. I've given up!

No real northern blocking during a winter month since December 2010 tells me all I need to know. I see no reason why Svalbard for example won't be up to 6-8 degrees above normal AGAIN this winter.
    Even mild winters half a century ago could deliver a few snowy days from a potent northerly, northerlies now only last about a day and aren't even cold. I've given up!

Arctic continues to be excessively warm this Autumn. Possibly due to the incredibly high SSTs over virtually all of the N. Pacific. helping to ensure an ample supply warm air flowing into the region.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

NOAA are predicting the US will have higher than average temperatures for December.

Would this not be a good thing for us? Less chances of cold air going into the Atlantic firing up the jet stream and less chance of get hit with storm after storm?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Mod Note: To Alcohol I removed your post due to bad language you might consider reposting your question without the coarse vocabulary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭esposito

Lucreto wrote: »
    NOAA are predicting the US will have higher than average temperatures for December.

Would this not be a good thing for us? Less chances of cold air going into the Atlantic firing up the jet stream and less chance of get hit with storm after storm?

In theory, yes. But the Atlantic has other ways of spoiling the party for us. Just because N America may be unusually mild in winter does not guarantee prolonged cold for us unfortunately

Lucreto wrote: »

Could be warm in the eastern States but cold in Canada which would help fire up the Atlantic jet. Impossible to say really.

For what it's worth, it has been generally on the warm side over not just in the States, but pretty much the entirety of N. America over the last 30 days, and it has been pretty damp over on this side of the pond with around average or slightly above temps.

6HwsKv9.png

New Moon

Some parts of the US have been having quite a winter since September. Please give us your wintry conditions for the winter since you've had your fair share of winter weather!

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭bazlers

So what is the general consensus for this winter? Are we looking at another mild and wet set up or something more akin to Narnia!

bazlers wrote: »
    So what is the general consensus for this winter? Are we looking at another mild and wet set up or something more akin to Narnia!

It's still too early to answer that and last winter taught us not to get excited! Personally, I feel it's going to be another 2013-14 but less extreme.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

bazlers wrote: »

it's far too early to say but most of the models are pointing towards a mild or very mild winter. It is easy to believe this because this is what we end up with most winters.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,316 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

This is what I have come up with after the usual process. The mid-November update might be more than just a tweak this time, I could see this going several different ways as there are some unusual synoptics in various regions of the hemisphere. But the emphasis in my research study was on high-energy events. I don't think low pressure areas this winter will be fooling around, they are going to be packed with energy and moisture compared to some winters. Possibly 2013-14 is somewhat of an analogue, although I would say, shifted a bit south of that onslaught of storms. This is copied from my post on Net-weather which explains a Britain and Ireland focus in the wording.

The following is a preliminary long-range forecast for winter 2019-20, If it seems necessary, I will amend or update this forecast in mid-November.

This appears likely to be a season where high energy weather events will be grappling with a fairly robust supply of colder air at high latitudes.

Britain and Ireland can expect a very unsettled winter with frequent low pressure systems steered by a strong jet stream running a little south of its average position.

This favours a split north-south outcome where the south is often on the milder side of the storm track getting strong southwest winds and rain, while the north is more open to snow, ice and easterly winds.

The north-south divide may be enhanced by the likely appearance of strong blocking highs over eastern Scandinavia and western Russia. I don't think these are going to dominate the circulation but they will come into conflict with the zonal regime at times, forcing it to dive southeast around 5-10W and into France and the western Mediterranean. This may be another winter of heavy Alpine snowfalls and frequent severe cold spells in Germany and possibly Belgium and Netherlands into northeast France.

Battleground conditions seem likely at times across southeast England into Wales and central to northern Ireland. Frequent snow events may occur in northern and even central England, and southern Scotland, also Northern Ireland and some adjacent parts of the Republic of Ireland.

Some heavy precipitation is likely in this scenario, heavy rain in most cases in southern England, especially the southwest, and the southern third of Ireland (Munster and south Leinster).

A set-up like this may not remain steady-state, but could fluctuate north-south bringing the milder conditions further north at times, while setting the battleground further south at other times. However, the tendency will be for temperatures to average closer to normal or above in the southwest, and below normal in Scotland.

This pattern could evolve into a colder February or even March if the strong jet stream loses energy, then the blocking may be able to assert more control.

North America can expect a rather harsh winter in general, with severe cold waves at times, colliding with an active storm track from Texas northeast towards Virginia and southeastern New England. There could therefore be heavier than average snowfalls in the Ohio Valley, Midwest, and inland Mid-Atlantic to northeastern states. A pattern like this would not rule out one or two coastal blizzards in the mix. The west will be dominated by persistent cold high pressure trapped in valleys, and coastal areas will have a fairly average winter with a lot of rain, low cloud and moderate southeast winds. Snow on western mountains will be generally a bit above average but might be twice normal in the southern Rockies and northern Arizona around Flagstaff. Drought will break during the winter for California.

This may also be one of those winters where extreme cold moves south from Siberia into China, Korea and Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,492 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Pretty much share the same thoughts as me so far M.T. A mild and very wet winter with a strong jet stream that may become meridional at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

I'll go against the grain and go for a cold winter with plentiful snow. Mild start, increasingly cold towards the end of December followed by one proper cold spell in early/mid January. Couple of one-day snows in February and early March.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭booferking

I'll go for an early start to winter going by the increasingly good background signals.

https://twitter.com/MattHugo81/status/1183983738675519488

Advertisement