Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Jockey Dies @ Dungarvan P2P

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 coltcalls

Tragic indeed. I think it's easy to forget how dangerous a game horse racing can be. I seem to remember that something like one in every eight times a jockey races, he falls. So that's about one a day if doing a full card. Brave men and women really.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Seen this on the RP website earlier, very tragic indeed and serves as a little reminder to all those who come on here calling jockeys all sorts, they really do put their lives on the line every time they go to work, RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭kildareman09

R.I.P jack was a lovely lad and his carrer was just getting going.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭s-cogan

such a loss. fierce nice lad, great rider. RIP, Jack, we'll all miss you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Terribly sad, sympathy to his friends and family.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

It's such a terrible tragedy, especially for a family who've been involved in racing for generations. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Was just about to post this, absolute tragedy. RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

As appears in today's Irish Examiner

TYNER (Shippool, Innishannon): On February 7, 2011, at Cork University Hospital (following a tragic accident), JACK, dearly loved only son of Mary (nee O'Donovan) and Robert and loving brother of Kate, Joan, Clare, Dara and Geraldine.

Very sadly missed by his heartbroken parents, sisters, grand-father Eric, girlfriend Emma, uncles, aunts, cousins, relatives and a large circle of friends. RIP.

Reception on tomorrow (Wednesday) evening at 7pm at St Mary's Church, Innishannnon. Requiem Mass on Thursday at 12 noon. Funeral afterwards to Innishannon New Cemetery.

House private please. Any enquiries to Gabriel and O'Donovan's Funeral Directors, Bandon. Tel. 023 - 8841587

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fr wishy washy

RIP,thoughts with his family & friends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭lester76

Rip jack terrible shame the lad rode a winner that day then had a fatal fall at the 1st fence the next race:( tough tough sport

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Very sad indeed. Never had the pleasure of meeting the young man, but I know he rode harness horses ('trotters') in West Cork as a young lad and his talent was obvious even then.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭banoffe2

'Eight years of torture': Family of young Cork jockey who died after fall settles action against HSE

So sad to learn Jack RIP didn't receive proper care in CUH, heartbreaking stuff, an only son with a great future ahead of him, don't know how they keep going, especially when they are so involved in racing -

Mary Tyner to compete in Corinthian Challenge Charity Race Series 2019

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭SonOfGoat

Shocking, the lad should still be alive today. If you end up in hospital, you're life is in the lap of some smug Ahole surgeon/doctor who are more than likely full of themselves, and will have juniors and nurses terrified of them. I've seen this in parts of Ireland and the USA. The doctors are no better over there /USA I can assure you of that. Having said that, if I have any illness that I need hospital treatment I will be in Dublin for it. I've had experiences of Galway and Limerick and if you value your like don't go there. Naas is beautifully designed, but again if you want the proper treatment, go elsewhere. i don't want to de-rail this thread. RIP kid.

Advertisement