Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

01-08-2020, 08:43   #46
Sleeper12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thierry12 View Post

See the bit where it says "cash buyers only"?

Do you suppose it's "cash buyers only" because banks wont give a mortgage for a garden shed?
Advertisement
01-08-2020, 09:12   #47
Gumbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorneTobyWilde View Post
That's not true
Shows plans of each cabin
2 bedroom
3 bedroom
bathroom
Kitchen
No problem.
Show me one that complies and the company are prepared to stand over.

Otherwise they are sheds/garden rooms/home offices. (All the same planning class).
01-08-2020, 10:28   #48
runawaybishop

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanman View Post
what about mobile homes? people live in them sometimes all year around on sites, they cant be up to building regs..
You need planning for them as soon as you connect them to services, 6 month exemption otherwise.
01-08-2020, 10:29   #49
runawaybishop

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearcider View Post
Two of my friends have done it in normal estates in Dublin. No issues at all. No planning necessary. Check with your neighbours if overlooked but chances are they won’t care. One of the log cabins my mate lives in is there for 12 years.

Never mind the boot lickers on boards. They will insist you ask the “government” for permission to fart.

Best of luck with it.
You do need planning. If someone complains you will be forced to take it down. If you try to sell you will need to take it down etc.
01-08-2020, 12:16   #50
C3PO

Quote:
No planning necessary.
That's just bad advice - Planning is absolutely required! The fact that your friends have ignored the requirement is neither here nor there!
Advertisement
01-08-2020, 15:39   #51
BorneTobyWilde

https://grannyflats.ie/

Shirley one of these would be better than a log cabin . IF it can be done without planning.
Thanks from:
01-08-2020, 16:46   #52
Gumbo

Quote:
https://grannyflats.ie/

Shirley one of these would be better than a log cabin . IF it can be done without planning.
Borderline illegal advertising there.
If I was buying from them I’d screen shot their websites and promises of what is and is not allowed.

From their site :

Quote:
Planning permission is generally not required for a stand alone unit of 25m2. We can also help you apply for a Section 5 Declaration form. This notifies the relevant Council of your plans. Confirmation from Council normally takes less then 4 weeks.
Then the next paragraph states that it’s a home office. So exploiting the shed exemptions. The bold text is key here. The next paragraph clarified what they class as a “stand alone” unit. Home office / studio. These are indeed exempt under the shed exemptions.

Remember the onus is on the home owner to comply with the regulations. The second these are planted in your rear garden, the council can come in and initiate enforcement proceedings against you, the home owner while this company are tidying up and walking out your front door. The council will chase you, not them.

I would call them and grill them on the certification with every building regulation as I can can 100% confirm to you now, they can’t and won’t, unless they are certifying them as a shed which does not need to meet the said regulations

Quote:
In order for these Granny flats to be planning exempt we build these, as home extensions, with a few other conditions. We build them in a clever way and each build has its own separate door for access. If at any stage in the long-term future you need to reconfigure this space as part of the property, perhaps for resale you have now the space to do so, potentially increasing your homes value. Note: All sizes are external sizes quoted unless otherwise stated.
Some more key info here.
They quote €48k plus vat for a 25 Sq. M extension which is about €2,200 per square meter. Exactly the same price or more than a standard build extension.

Last edited by Gumbo; 01-08-2020 at 16:49.
01-08-2020, 17:21   #53
BorneTobyWilde

But can one build a granny flat without planning, I've seen so many on the side of house. Does the location matter?

If I was extending a house it would go on the side
From this...

To this...

Can you build a granny flat on side ?
01-08-2020, 17:25   #54
BorneTobyWilde

Better example of what I mean, Match up the both sides with an extension
Advertisement
01-08-2020, 18:18   #55
runawaybishop

Quote:
But can one build a granny flat without planning, I've seen so many on the side of house. Does the location matter?

You can build a 40sqm extension without planning, there are some restrictions on aspect, distance from boundaries, reducing garden space etc.
Thanks from:
01-08-2020, 18:32   #56
Gumbo

Quote:

If I was extending a house it would go on the side
From this...

To this...

Quote:
Better example of what I mean, Match up the both sides with an extension
Both of those examples, no. Because they are 2 storey extensions to the side.

The exemptions are to the rear.
Thanks from:
01-08-2020, 20:28   #57
BorneTobyWilde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo View Post
Both of those examples, no. Because they are 2 storey extensions to the side.

The exemptions are to the rear.

So to match up a house on both side ones would need planning. Even a single storey ?
01-08-2020, 22:30   #58
alie

Quote:
Two of my friends have done it in normal estates in Dublin. No issues at all. No planning necessary. Check with your neighbours if overlooked but chances are they won’t care. One of the log cabins my mate lives in is there for 12 years.

Never mind the boot lickers on boards. They will insist you ask the “government” for permission to fart.

Best of luck with it.
Thank you so much, my neighbour has a concrete one in his garden with electricity, he uses it as a music studio. my other neighbour has a massive metal shed with a sliding door that would wake the dead, neither had planning permission.
01-08-2020, 22:34   #59
alie

Quote:
Originally Posted by runawaybishop View Post
You need planning for them as soon as you connect them to services, 6 month exemption otherwise.
So if no sevices then no planning, so i could build one and just have it as extra space per say
01-08-2020, 22:34   #60
Graham

Quote:
Originally Posted by alie View Post
Thank you so much, my neighbour has a concrete one in his garden with electricity, he uses it as a music studio. my other neighbour has a massive metal shed with a sliding door that would wake the dead, neither had planning permission.
You can build a shed/music room, usually without planning.

You can't build a habitable dwelling.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion