Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

31-07-2020, 11:15   #16
Thierry12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo View Post
They can’t comply with building regs.
Even if you built it to the top spec available , TGD Part B (Fire Safety) will be the downfall. Particularly B5, access and facilities for fire fighters and fire tenders.
What about the timber frame types?

Like these

<SNIP>

Last edited by Graham; 31-07-2020 at 13:09.
Advertisement
31-07-2020, 11:53   #17
Ray Palmer

they aren't log cabins. They are prefabbed building and should built to Irish standards. Still need planing for where they are located. The FAQs are certainly questionable. No mention of conforming to irish standards that I saw.

This has ben answered many times with people trying to point out loopholes. The answer is basically no. What people do illegally doesn't count

Last edited by Graham; 31-07-2020 at 13:09. Reason: quote removed
Thanks from:
31-07-2020, 12:33   #18
JimmyMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thierry12 View Post
What about the timber frame types?

Like these

<snip>
The prices quoted are very misleading, exclusions listed make up a massive cost

Last edited by Graham; 31-07-2020 at 13:10.
31-07-2020, 13:58   #19
Thierry12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyMW View Post
The prices quoted are very misleading, exclusions listed make up a massive cost
I don't know

154sqm 4 bed house for €84,000

Even if the rest of the sutff is another €84,000

It's a cheap house at €168,000

Would cost €250,000+ to build house that size?
31-07-2020, 14:03   #20
JimmyMW

Quote:
I don't know

154sqm 4 bed house for €84,000

Even if the rest of the sutff is another €84,000

It's a cheap house at €168,000

Would cost €250,000+ to build house that size?
Excluded items would be well in excess of that in my opinion, foundations, base, plastering, wiring, plumbing, heating system, kitchen/appliances, sanitary ware, internal woodwork, doors, flooring etc
Advertisement
31-07-2020, 14:44   #21
Thierry12

Quote:
Excluded items would be well in excess of that in my opinion, foundations, base, plastering, wiring, plumbing, heating system, kitchen/appliances, sanitary ware, internal woodwork, doors, flooring etc
Will still work out far cheaper than block?
31-07-2020, 14:47   #22
JimmyMW

Quote:
Will still work out far cheaper than block?
if it did every developer in the country would be using them. Also keep in mind the spec you are getting, its a shed roof covering your getting
31-07-2020, 14:57   #23
Ray Palmer

Quote:
I don't know
Correct!
I could building anything I like and it doesn't have to be according to Irish regs for a habitable space and it will be cheaper. Doesn't make it a bargain or a good idea
31-07-2020, 15:08   #24
Thierry12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Palmer View Post
Correct!
I could building anything I like and it doesn't have to be according to Irish regs for a habitable space and it will be cheaper. Doesn't make it a bargain or a good idea
It's according to regualtions, says it is anyway
Advertisement
31-07-2020, 15:13   #25
Thierry12

Quote:
if it did every developer in the country would be using them. Also keep in mind the spec you are getting, its a shed roof covering your getting
Probably right

I'm far from an expert

Do they make them as cheap as possible here?

Not in interest to keep prices high?

You hear stories of timber frames like below going up for nothing in EU countries and we paying 300k for 3 bed 100sqm block houses here

Truth in those stories?

http://www.frame-house.eu/index.php/eng/projects
31-07-2020, 15:18   #26
Ray Palmer

Quote:
It's according to regualtions, says it is anyway
They aren't and it doesn't quite say that either. Saying that people don't need planning and mentioning some got planning could be a slight of hand. Yes they got planning for a shed not a habitable dwelling for example.

Go read all the other threads and any argument you make is already covered. You won't find a loophole and if you are looking for one that should tell you what you are trying to do. If you need a loophole then you are chancing your arm it is that simple
Thanks from:
31-07-2020, 15:21   #27
BorneTobyWilde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo View Post
They can’t comply with building regs.
Even if you built it to the top spec available , TGD Part B (Fire Safety) will be the downfall. Particularly B5, access and facilities for fire fighters and fire tenders.

How are all the Log Cabin banjos all over the country selling these cabins to live in. ? Seems silly to allow them to sell them knowing they are not up to living spec regulations.
31-07-2020, 15:32   #28
Graham

ask yourself:
  • If developers could put up a timber frame house for less money why aren't they all doing it and making a larger profit?
  • If timber frame houses were significantly cheaper than block, why aren't all new estates timber frame?
  • If mass-produced factory houses were lower cost, why don't we have estates full of them?
  • If 30k log cabins/sheds were permitted as habitable dwellings, why aren't there hundreds of thousands of them across the country?
  • If importing frames from Lativa were the key to significant cost reductions, how come some smart developer has completely missed that opportunity?

Don't get me wrong, I genuinely hope someone will have a breakthrough and come up with a way to revolutionise low-cost house building. I don't think the source is going to be an advert for a cheap garden cabin.
31-07-2020, 15:33   #29
Thierry12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorneTobyWilde View Post
How are all the Log Cabin banjos all over the country selling these cabins to live in. ? Seems silly to allow them to sell them knowing they are not up to living spec regulations.
Good point

Does seem mad

I know of a few cabins around and they are " home offices " with no planning
(2) thanks from:
31-07-2020, 15:38   #30
Thierry12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
ask yourself:
  • If developers could put up a timber frame house for less money why aren't they all doing it and making a larger profit?
  • If timber frame houses were significantly cheaper than block, why aren't all new estates timber frame?
  • If mass-produced factory houses were lower cost, why don't we have estates full of them?
  • If 30k log cabins/sheds were permitted as habitable dwellings, why aren't there hundreds of thousands of them across the country?
  • If importing frames from Lativa were the key to significant cost reductions, how come some smart developer has completely missed that opportunity?

Don't get me wrong, I genuinely hope someone will have a breakthrough and come up with a way to revolutionise low-cost house building. I don't think the source is going to be an advert for a cheap garden cabin.
Don'tregulations stop all that?

Too complex?

If we made them less complex we could build them?

Like diesel and petrol engines of today, only an auto giant like VW can afford to make diesel engines because of emission regualtions , small manufacturers have no chance

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion