Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

29-07-2020, 16:02   #1
alie

Log Cabin

Hi folks , thinking of building a log cabin or concrete shed in back garden, do I need planning permission if my son was to live in for a while until he buys his own property, thanks
Thanks from:
Advertisement
29-07-2020, 16:04   #2
listermint

Search function. Log cabins are probably one of the most popular subjects every few weeks here.
29-07-2020, 16:05   #3
smelly sock

Quote:
Originally Posted by alie View Post
Hi folks , thinking of building a log cabin or concrete shed in back garden, do I need planning permission if my son was to live in for a while until he buys his own property, thanks
Dont think it'll be economical if its to be used as a habitated space. Regs and spec to high.
29-07-2020, 16:12   #4
alie

Quote:
Originally Posted by listermint View Post
Search function. Log cabins are probably one of the most popular subjects every few weeks here.
Have been ill in hospital so have not been online for a while but thanks
Thanks from:
29-07-2020, 16:13   #5
alie

Quote:
Originally Posted by smelly sock View Post
Dont think it'll be economical if its to be used as a habitated space. Regs and spec to high.
It would just be a bedroom and living space , he would use the house for other necessities.
Advertisement
29-07-2020, 17:06   #6
DubCount

As has been said before, this topic has been raised several times. There are a few problems. The "garden shed" exemption to requiring planning permission does not apply as its for habitation. Its unlikely planning would be granted. The log cabins when delivered will not meet building regulations. There may be problems with insurance, as the dwelling does not meet building regulations.

Consider building on a granny flat if that is practical. Probably a better solution
29-07-2020, 17:11   #7
Thierry12

<SNIP>

Last edited by Graham; 29-07-2020 at 22:00.
29-07-2020, 17:17   #8
Spanish Eyes

This kind of building should be encouraged, not discouraged. As long as the spec is good and conforms to building regs I don't see the issue at all, given that people need housing and due to Covid cannot afford mad rents now.

I do appreciate that if such habitable buildings are allowed it could become a free for all, and neighbours might object if let out to all and sundry.

But realistically if a family member uses it I really don't see the problem. Six monthly checks would be so much more economical than providing social housing now. Well common sense is a rare thing in Council decisions in my experience anyway.

I have no doubt that I will be told I am dreaming. But honestly it does make a lot of sense.
Thanks from:
29-07-2020, 22:04   #9
Graham

alie, yes you will need planning for your intended use.

Mod Note

Anybody suggesting the planning laws can be ignored will be banned from A & P without further warning.

Do not reply to this post.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
29-07-2020, 22:09   #10
runawaybishop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanish Eyes View Post
This kind of building should be encouraged, not discouraged. As long as the spec is good and conforms to building regs I don't see the issue at all, given that people need housing and due to Covid cannot afford mad rents now.

I do appreciate that if such habitable buildings are allowed it could become a free for all, and neighbours might object if let out to all and sundry.

But realistically if a family member uses it I really don't see the problem. Six monthly checks would be so much more economical than providing social housing now. Well common sense is a rare thing in Council decisions in my experience anyway.

I have no doubt that I will be told I am dreaming. But honestly it does make a lot of sense.
They don't conform to building regs though.
Thanks from:
30-07-2020, 23:27   #11
alie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubCount View Post
As has been said before, this topic has been raised several times. There are a few problems. The "garden shed" exemption to requiring planning permission does not apply as its for habitation. Its unlikely planning would be granted. The log cabins when delivered will not meet building regulations. There may be problems with insurance, as the dwelling does not meet building regulations.

Consider building on a granny flat if that is practical. Probably a better solution
I dont have space for a granny flat.
30-07-2020, 23:29   #12
alie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
alie, yes you will need planning for your intended use.

Mod Note

Anybody suggesting the planning laws can be ignored will be banned from A & P without further warning.

Do not reply to this post.
Thanks so much for your reply, this a first for me, never had to go down this route before.
30-07-2020, 23:46   #13
Graham

It's asked here regularly alie.

Have a read through the previous 1,646 posts although I'll warn you in advance, most are variations on the answers above.
(2) thanks from:
31-07-2020, 10:33   #14
Gumbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by alie View Post
Short legal answer is yes, you need planning permission.
Not so short answer is you won’t get planning permission.
Thanks from:
31-07-2020, 10:35   #15
Gumbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanish Eyes View Post

They can’t comply with building regs.
Even if you built it to the top spec available , TGD Part B (Fire Safety) will be the downfall. Particularly B5, access and facilities for fire fighters and fire tenders.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion