Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

White Pines Rathfarnham

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 dkiernan9

People should engage in the consultation process. See south dublin county council website. There are issues with the halting site and building social housing around it is madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

[PHP][/PHP]
    dkiernan9 wrote: »
    People should engage in the consultation process. See south dublin county council website. There are issues with the halting site and building social housing around it is madness.

Can you clarify this? Going through the process of closing a sale in white pines.

Are there issues arising out of the halting site that directly affect the estate (crime, antisocial behaviour in the estate) or is it just the halting site itself is an issue? I've been cycling around there a few times and there was a good deal of rubbish, but as long as it's not in the estate I'm not too concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

49788119_2167977103222428_6748326458847920128_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.xx&oh=37359183f6c19fe4241391f592041fc2&oe=5CC2C6D0

Came across this earlier

Grassey wrote: »
    Came across this earlier

Closed group so I can't grab the image myself....could you please enlarge the plan view.

Are the yellow/red areas the existing halting site??

Sorry, that's the image that was shared with me, don't have access to that group. Orange is existing halting site. Blue, yellow, and section to the right would be my understanding of the 150 proposed houses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭seany212121

So they are possibly planning on build 150 social houses next to the halting site that is a little worrying. I am in the process of a sale in white pines also I was at the house the other day they are building white pines village across the road which I presume is shops but not sure at all.

To anyone who has moved in: Have you found the specification of your house varies much from the show houses or advertisements?

Twice I have asked to view our potential property and twice I have been given the run around by the estate agent: "Have to cancel, painting", "We'll show you the show house again"

This has me very worried. Probably the most significant purchase I will make and I haven't even seen the final product!

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    To anyone who has moved in: Have you found the specification of your house varies much from the show houses or advertisements?

Twice I have asked to view our potential property and twice I have been given the run around by the estate agent: "Have to cancel, painting", "We'll show you the show house again"

This has me very worried. Probably the most significant purchase I will make and I haven't even seen the final product!

We are in the process of buying here have seen the house pretty much the exact same as the show houses.

1 problem we have had is the snagging found a few problems nothing major but have been back and forth 4 times now trying to get them to fix stuff it's a nightmare.

Also the shops which are meant to be going in the have white pines village center advertised outside but looking on the site it seems like houses they are building across the road very confusing really.

The only real problem with the halting site is the dumping around it. The Council have done absolutely nothing about it. I understand bin contractors will not go into the site and so the Council seem to allow the dumping and then collect it every 6 months. They are unable to look after 10 houses and then they propose another 40!!

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

The only real problem with the halting site is the dumping around it. The Council have done absolutely nothing about it. I understand bin contractors will not go into the site and so the Council seem to allow the dumping and then collect it every 6 months. They are unable to look after 10 houses and then they propose another 40!!

They do also dump up and down that stretch of road from the halting site to Allenton. They seem to do it on a Saturday night. Their favourite spots are on the OldCourt Road, near Dodderbrook. I know it can be them as I've caught them in the act. Makes a real mess of the area at times and is a real shame. It's a pain, but not too bad. Thankfully, they largely throw their rubbish over their back wall - so when you're driving South bound on the M50 - you can see the rear wall of the halting site on your right - that area can be a real mess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

Hi Jen

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭daithiK1

It might be worth your while broadening your research to a few of the wider estates both sides of m50 before concluding thats the only real problem.

Care to elaborate?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭daithiK1

Care to elaborate?

Nope other than to say i live in a mature estate about three km down the road and felt the need for a significant upgrade in home security in the last two years.

Very helpful. Thanks. Is there not another halting site beside boden park? Seems that would be closer to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

There are definitely more problems than just dumping.

Between that site and the one in Daletree there is a significant amount of petty and opportunistic crime locally. From nonsense like robbing washing off clotheslines to car theft and joy riding, to anti social behaviour round the local shops. In addition the Garda helicopter will generally alert you to more serious issues - the Dublin Mountains being a favoured get away route.

Over recent years badly damaged cockerals have been getting dumped out along the road close to that site also - so presumably there is a cock fighting ring going on too. I did almost drive right into a bare knuckle fight on the street outside the site one day too but they moved it back within the boundaries of the site when they saw people driving past.

....... wrote: »
    There are definitely more problems than just dumping.

Between that site and the one in Daletree there is a significant amount of petty and opportunistic crime locally. From nonsense like robbing washing off clotheslines to car theft and joy riding, to anti social behaviour round the local shops. In addition the Garda helicopter will generally alert you to more serious issues - the Dublin Mountains being a favoured get away route.

Over recent years badly damaged cockerals have been getting dumped out along the road close to that site also - so presumably there is a cock fighting ring going on too. I did almost drive right into a bare knuckle fight on the street outside the site one day too but they moved it back within the boundaries of the site when they saw people driving past.

I remember we moved to one of the first new developments in Foxrock back in 1990. The area was mostly the big old houses that have now made way for more estates, super-mansions and the m50.

Anyway, I remember some traveller kids chasing a donkey through the gardens. Myself and another guy followed after them (being 7 years old at the time!) and had a bit of an issue with them when they saw us.

In that time it was our family home, I saw the area expand and gentrify. The same has now happened on Glenamuck road.

The same might happen here, who knows, I don't think the anti-social element will be able to increase with more community pressure on gardai and councils to take action.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    The same might happen here, who knows, I don't think the anti-social element will be able to increase with more community pressure on gardai and councils to take action.

Possibly. The Daletree site is there since the 70s and has been more problematic in the past 10 years than in the preceeding 30 (I have lived within a couple of km of it for over 40 years).

Possibly. The Daletree site is there since the 70s and has been more problematic in the past 10 years than in the preceeding 30 (I have lived within a couple of km of it for over 40 years).

I guess with all of these things it's a case of rolling the dice. Which I would prefer not to do but short of winning the lotto I can't pick my neighbours.

Hopefully everyone within the estate is grand!

Anyone know about this at all within the estate reading this article seems like a lot of social houses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Anyone know about this at all within the estate reading this article seems like a lot of social houses

Unreal, meanwhile in the real world the rest of us mugs get up early everyday to pay our mortgages.

Why do councils need to house their tenants in nearly €500k properties?

Its 30.

Given the numbers of properties being built there its tiny.

Its 30.

Given the numbers of properties being built there its tiny.

from the article of 175 houses. So almost 1 in 5.

I have been lucky enough to live in some of the nicest areas of Dublin, in Ballsbridge specifically.

2 neighbours there were complete assholes: Barking dogs left inside during working hours (I was a student at the time, so plenty of "at home" study hours), cars blocking our driveway, loud music coming through the walls at all hours and even the odd party one of which spilled out onto the street and ended up with the Gardai arriving. In ballsbridge!

I'll admit that some of this concerns me, but only because the irrational part of my brain thinks that "social housing" always equals "people who want to cause trouble". Which is completely ridiculous.

I presume if there are issues, it is the council's responsibility? I would also think that they are interested in making their investment worthwhile and not upsetting the other residents, so there will be some selection criteria applied to who gets a house?

Grassey wrote: »
    from the article of 175 houses. So almost 1 in 5.

I was really making that comment in the wider context of the number of houses built up there over the past few years, not just White Pines. Although 30 out of 175 is still nothing to get exercised about IMO - its possibly one or two cul de sacs.

There must be 500-600 new builds along Stocking Lane in the past few years - and with the exception of the traveller site at the end which was already in existence and one batch of properties bought by SDCC in Dalriada a few years back, Ive not heard of any others that are exclusively social housing?

I can certainly think of better ways for the council to spend on social housing than on properties valued over 400k each though, and I think they could have housed far more people for far less money by buying elsewhere in the council zone.

The proper thing to do here is to make sure that all private residents are in close communication and keep each other alerted to any problems before they become serious.

Council tenants have to abide by a code of conduct like any other tenant, a violation of this would see them evicted.

The council will listen to the entire estate if there are complaints about trouble makers.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭mohm.kamal

Hi,

I'm looking for a house in South Dublin and one of the development I was looking at is White Pines. However I heard some feedback about the area that there is a Halting Site nearby White Pines.

So, first all, because I'm not originally from Ireland .. what is a Halting Site? and why would a halting site beside White Pines is a very bad situation?

It would be ideal if someone lives there in White Pines and could share his experience.

Thanks alot for your help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

mohm.kamal wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm looking for a house in South Dublin and one of the development I was looking at is White Pines. However I heard some feedback about the area that there is a Halting Site nearby White Pines.

So, first all, because I'm not originally from Ireland .. what is a Halting Site? and why would a halting site beside White Pines is a very bad situation?

It would be ideal if someone lives there in White Pines and could share his experience.

Thanks alot for your help

Halting Site - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halting_site

The bigger concerns for me with White Pines would be the proximity to the M50 (some of the house back onto it:eek:), the traffic getting on the roads down near Ballycullen and Rathfarnham, and the lack of any amenities nearby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭ScallionAyter

Halting Site - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halting_site

The bigger concerns for me with White Pines would be the proximity to the M50 (some of the house back onto it:eek:), the traffic getting on the roads down near Ballycullen and Rathfarnham, and the lack of any amenities nearby.

Traffic is a bigger concern to you than a halting site close by? Pull the other one.

ha. ha. ha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Personally I wouldn't be looking there. Its just not a good location for the above reasons and they're very average looking houses for the price.

Advertisement