Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

01-08-2020, 22:37   #61
endacl

Quote:
Originally Posted by alie View Post
So if no sevices then no planning, so i could build one and just have it as extra space per say
And if one of your neighbours complains to the council that you have somebody living in your ‘extra space’, can you afford to have it removed and the plot restored as was?
Advertisement
01-08-2020, 23:02   #62
runawaybishop

Quote:
So if no sevices then no planning, so i could build one and just have it as extra space per say
You can build a shed yes. If you live in it needs planning.
Thanks from:
02-08-2020, 12:21   #63
Eric Cartman

All of these are illegal for habitation.
I completely understand that it is illegal , but what I dont completely understand is why in some cases

Cabin out the back garden - completely get why thats illegal , extra pressure on services , overcrowding etc..

What i dont understand is why we cant have a development of high quality static homes on plots of land.

I know people are going to shriek ‘aghh trailer park’ but there are a lot of high quality developments and high quality residential standard static caravans available.

This idea that somebody isn’t allowed choose where to live based on what the government decides is best for us is madness.

https://www.willerby.com/park-homes/our-range/delamere This is approx 80k , if you could get a 4 acre plot of land and park 20 of those on it you could build nice low density low cost housing for people very easily

Last edited by Eric Cartman; 02-08-2020 at 12:25.
Thanks from:
04-08-2020, 18:49   #64
Thierry12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
All of these are illegal for habitation.
I completely understand that it is illegal , but what I dont completely understand is why in some cases

Cabin out the back garden - completely get why thats illegal , extra pressure on services , overcrowding etc..

What i dont understand is why we cant have a development of high quality static homes on plots of land.

I know people are going to shriek ‘aghh trailer park’ but there are a lot of high quality developments and high quality residential standard static caravans available.

This idea that somebody isn’t allowed choose where to live based on what the government decides is best for us is madness.

https://www.willerby.com/park-homes/our-range/delamere This is approx 80k , if you could get a 4 acre plot of land and park 20 of those on it you could build nice low density low cost housing for people very easily
Regulations man, regulations

We need the compliance, the certification, the permissions, the insulation, the planning, what about the septic tanks, the percolations, how are we gonna sort that.

Joking aside

I don't understand it either

Why does it cost €100,000 for a 40m2 extension here and quarter of a million for a small 110m2 bungalow?

Why the **** can I not build make an extension to the side of my house or infront of my house, why does it have to be lower than the height and directly behind, stupid stuff

Why do we have to comply and build concrete houses with that tick a box BER crap.
04-08-2020, 21:38   #65
Gumbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thierry12 View Post

We need the compliance, the certification, the permissions, the insulation, the planning, what about the septic tanks, the percolations, how are we gonna sort that.

Joking aside

Why does it cost €100,000 for a 40m2 extension here and quarter of a million for a small 110m2 bungalow?

Why the **** can I not build make an extension to the side of my house or infront of my house, why does it have to be lower than the height and directly behind, stupid stuff

Why do we have to comply and build concrete houses with that tick a box BER crap.
You don’t have to.
Just apply for planning and you can build higher, to the front, to the side, on top of etc etc

There has to be limits to the exemptions as people (as proved on these boards) will take the pi55.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
04-08-2020, 21:44   #66
Darc19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thierry12 View Post

Joking aside

The 250k bungalow cost probably includes land and new connections to services.

An extension plugs into existing services and normally will be using one side of the already built house.

I know someone who has a site in a Kildare Town and expects to build two detached houses of 160sqm for about €400-€450k max. He's reckoning under 400k, but is allowing 50k for unforseen issues. Obviously zero cost for the land and services are right at the front of the site.
05-08-2020, 14:33   #67
Thierry12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darc19 View Post
The 250k bungalow cost probably includes land and new connections to services.

An extension plugs into existing services and normally will be using one side of the already built house.

I know someone who has a site in a Kildare Town and expects to build two detached houses of 160sqm for about €400-€450k max. He's reckoning under 400k, but is allowing 50k for unforseen issues. Obviously zero cost for the land and services are right at the front of the site.
160sqm house for under 200k in Kildare

Who's his builder?
(2) thanks from:
06-08-2020, 12:15   #68
JimmyVik

Quote:

I posted this in another thread, but i think it sits in here nicely

A guy I work with put one of these (well something like it) up with the door facing his back patio doors about 6 feet away.

https://www.gardenrooms.ie/gallery/#

He then built a walkway, insulated and all joined from the house to the cabin.
From the pictures he showed me its just like a short 6 foot wide hall from the living room into the garden room. Looks lovely. And he has a new patio door to the garden coming off this "hall".
He did that because it cost him about €8K for tha garden room and €2K to get the "hall built", and he got no planning permission.

I have a fascination with these kind of building projects. I love hearing about them. Great threads on boards where guys have documented their entire build.
Thanks from:
06-08-2020, 16:23   #69
Gumbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyVik View Post
I posted this in another thread, but i think it sits in here nicely

A guy I work with put one of these (well something like it) up with the door facing his back patio doors about 6 feet away.

https://www.gardenrooms.ie/gallery/#

He then built a walkway, insulated and all joined from the house to the cabin.
From the pictures he showed me its just like a short 6 foot wide hall from the living room into the garden room. Looks lovely. And he has a new patio door to the garden coming off this "hall".
He did that because it cost him about €8K for tha garden room and €2K to get the "hall built", and he got no planning permission.

I have a fascination with these kind of building projects. I love hearing about them. Great threads on boards where guys have documented their entire build.
That’s all well and good but what he has is a shed extension (and a pretty nice shed at that).
He will have to certify it as a shed when selling or remove it as the cabin itself won’t meet building regulations for an extension.

Technically he done nothing wrong once he didn’t effect the thermal envelope of the original house.

Same way you see all these make shift conservatives added to the back of houses that were popular so years ago.

They are a way to extend without having to meet the regs once you keep the patio doors in place.
Advertisement
07-08-2020, 09:21   #70
JimmyVik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo View Post
That’s all well and good but what he has is a shed extension (and a pretty nice shed at that).
He will have to certify it as a shed when selling or remove it as the cabin itself won’t meet building regulations for an extension.

Technically he done nothing wrong once he didn’t effect the thermal envelope of the original house.

Same way you see all these make shift conservatives added to the back of houses that were popular so years ago.

They are a way to extend without having to meet the regs once you keep the patio doors in place.

I think he probably has no intention of selling it as a room.
Worst case scenario, if they ever move they just knock the hallway.
The new owners can build a new one or just leave it. Or they could knock the whole lot. Loads of choices I guess.

My dad sold house years ago where he build a huge shed without planning.
It had been there about 10 years when he sold it.
The buyers solicitor spotted it and asked for planning.
The two solicitors had a chat and said take the roof off it for the sale (the roof wasnt really taken off).
Sale went through. That shed is still standing now about 20 years later.
07-08-2020, 09:31   #71
duffman13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyVik View Post
I think he probably has no intention of selling it as a room.
Worst case scenario, if they ever move they just knock the hallway.
The new owners can build a new one or just leave it. Or they could knock the whole lot. Loads of choices I guess.

My dad sold house years ago where he build a huge shed without planning.
It had been there about 10 years when he sold it.
The buyers solicitor spotted it and asked for planning.
The two solicitors had a chat and said take the roof off it for the sale (the roof wasnt really taken off).
Sale went through. That shed is still standing now about 20 years later.
Not sure if that would still happen now, id a house delayed a week while a certificate was issued on a tiny shed built on to the back of a house. I had planned to knock it down once in anyway so told the solicitor to leave it, but both solicitors wanted the cert/report from an engineer. Its a disservice to call it a shed, its literally a metre by a metre and a half.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion