Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aldi Robot Vacuum Cleaner €179.99

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Anyone try them on carpet yet ?

It won't in to dirt of a thick carpet but of you have industrial type thin stuff it'll shift the dirt about and suck it up if your lucky.

We have really thick soft carpets and it really just hovered over it.

They don't have great suction. Really more for hardwood, tile, lino, etc..

And I would suggest from my limited first hour with it doing its thing you would still need to be doing a proper Hoover weekly/bi weekly or whatever as it won't get into all corners or get into carpets properly.

Just my 2cents

• Registered Users Posts: 13,618 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Dónal wrote: »
    The remote needs 2 x AAA batteries but they didn't come with it.

Do you have to use the remote to start it?

Can you not set it to auto-start at a specific time each evening?

TheBody wrote: »
    They seem noisey from those videos.

They're not that loud. You would notice them though, ie turning up the telly for example

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

being a bloke i didn't consult said manual and just pressed go on it when i took it out of the box. Still zooming about here. On the go for the last 45 mins or so.

I'll charge it when it dies.

Yeah I was tempted to do that but I think the first charge is usually fairly important so thought best to err on the side of caution.

mrcheez wrote: »
    Do you have to use the remote to start it?

Can you not set it to auto-start at a specific time each evening?

No you can start it from the unit itself. You have to use the remote to program it but once that's done it will stay set until you either unset it or turn the unit off.

• Advertisement

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Yeah I was tempted to do that but I think the first charge is usually fairly important so thought best to err on the side of caution.

Used to be that way years ago but rechargeable batteries have come a long way. Sure they don't even recommend it on phones these days and they're the worst kind of rechargeables known to man!

Mine hoovered the place until it died and is now charging till tomorrow when I get home from work and let it roll again.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

No you can start it from the unit itself. You have to use the remote to program it but once that's done it will stay set until you either unset it or turn the unit off.

Interested to here it has a remote. The Roomba doesn't. What do you program it for? Just curious.

The remote is mainly so you can schedule a daily clean.

The remote is mainly so you can schedule a daily clean.

Thanks for that - nice feature!

Yeah as said it's so you can set it for a daily clean but it's also very handy as you can choose perimeter clean, turbo clean or go to home from the remote too. So if you were in the same room as it, you could get it to do something more specific from the comfort of your couch.

Did its first cleaning tonight. I'll post details tomorrow but so far I'm impressed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Very impressed so far - 3 rooms done.
    The utility was pretty dirty too as we use turf and keep it in the utility - there was quite a bit of dust there and it looks spotless now.
    If it keeps going this well happy days !

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

I imagine if you have motion sensors in your house, this thing will set them off?

Shouldn't set them off unless there extremely sensitive .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

How was stock levels guys?

I had a big drive this afternoon from South Derry back to Kildare after attending a function last night, so obviously have missed all the Aldis for today.

I'm sorely tempted to get one of these.

First clean finished and is charging away, he did a great job on the wooden floors and an ok job on the carpets, but I'm pretty happy overall. Moved over the saddle boards easily which I'm happy with. Scared the living bejesus out of the dog though.

I had a big drive this afternoon from South Derry back to Kildare after attending a function last night, so obviously have missed all the Aldis for today.

I'm sorely tempted to get one of these.

Found ti hard to judge stock levels. I was in a Waterford store at around 11:30. I'd never bought an item like this from Aldi so had to ask a staff member. He was going to open the locked glass display case where there were 4 units but then said he had them in the store room by the tills. So he went to a room with no windows and came out with one so I've no idea how many he had there.

Being honest, at €179.00, I can't imagine they sold out in every store in a day but I think they are fairly keenly priced at that.
    First clean finished and is charging away, he did a great job on the wooden floors and an ok job on the carpets, but I'm pretty happy overall. Moved over the saddle boards easily which I'm happy with. Scared the living bejesus out of the dog though.

We have four dogs and two cats. All were terrified. But I'm going to get one of the cats riding around on it if it's the last thing I do!

It did pick up an impressive amount of cat hair in its first run tonight. I'll give more details tomorrow and maybe throw up a picture or two if anyone's interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭bogman

Hard to know, Aldi Ballypehane told me that they were getting 12 in, probably varies from store to store, hope you have luck getting one

Our 1year old was terrified by it at the start. Calmed down a little as it went on thankfully. Won't be let crawl about with it on though.

Re stock levels I'm sure there's plenty. Most would see this as a fairly big spend on a not so necessary item. I on the other hand hate Hoovering and so will take all the help I can get!

I had to ask for mine in Mullingar - none out on the floor, so I have no idea there were in stock.
    There were a few people queuing - there was an older lady there and I though she was queuing for the steam mop but she actually bought 2 of the robot vacuums !

I'm working from home today and set it to do the kitchen & living room (pretty large area combined). It's not long finished and it did an excellent job and it ran for about 2 hours, 10 minutes before finally going to charge itself.

deadl0ck wrote: »
    I'm working from home today and set it to do the kitchen & living room (pretty large area combined). It's not long finished and it did an excellent job and it ran for about 2 hours, 10 minutes before finally going to charge itself.

I presume it just keeps going until it has to charge so? Did you leave yours on the charging station for the night yeah?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,618 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

3 questions:

- How loud is it and could you leave it running overnight in a quiet house?

- How is it faring on carpet (standard pile)?

- What name have you given it? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I presume it just keeps going until it has to charge so? Did you leave yours on the charging station for the night yeah?

My Roomba as it got a bit older it wouldn't last for a full run around on one charge so it would return to its base station when low, recharge and then finish its run.

I'd assume this one is the same.

Yep - take about 3 hours to charge as I used it in 2 different areas yesterday and I had to charge it in between
    3 questions:

- What name have you given it?
    (1) Not very loud though I don't think you could watch telly with it running round you - might be a bit annoying
    (2) Haven't tried it on carpet as 95% of our house it wood floors or tiles
    (4) "Mr. Scampers" - it was named immediately by my 4 year old daughter as she said it scampers around the floor :)

3 questions:

- What name have you given it? :)

I wouldn't say you could have it running near you but it would possibly be ok to run around downstairs if you were sleeping upstairs. I was walking up the stairs last night and had set it off around my bedroom but wouldn't hear it with the door closed so assumed my wife had stopped it but she hadn't. So I couldn't hear it from about 10 feet away through a closed door.

My house has carpet everywhere except the kitchen and bathrooms and it's done a pretty good job, I have to say. It picked up a lot of cat hair and general dirt and I can't say I noticed anything it missed. It really does excel on hard floors in fairness as the job it did in the kitchen was great but I think I'm happy enough with how it works on carpet to keep it.

I named it Consuela after the maid in Family Guy. :D

My Roomba is called Dorothy - I have no idea why!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭bogman

Mine's been named Manuel, anyone try it on a narrow landing, gets a bit confused, wonder if the two ceiling lights caused the problem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6EaoPMANQM

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

Picked mine up in ashbourne an hour ago. Theres 2 left. Great piece if kit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭ozmo

Mines a Roomba - its great also - but it does not like the carpet in one room with the black pattern at all- thinks its falling down a hole :)

Few mentioned the battery - mines nearly gone after about 4 years - but there is a video (below) on how to do a deep cycle that got a bit more life out of it....

Worked for me.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I own a previous generation Roomba that is currently cleaning the wooden floor in my lounge. They're fantastic for floors like that once you move everything and use it a few times so you know what it doesn't get stuck under. Move cables out the way too.

What I do is brush down the skirting board with a cloth and just let the Roomba do the rest.

They aren't fantastic for carpets but will do an ok job so long as you get the 'real' hoover out every so often. They also are quite low to the floor so tend not to be able to get up onto a carpet if a room is half carpet, half wooden floor. I usually let it do one room per night which means the whole place is cleaned every week.

I'd swear by them for wooden and tiled floors... maybe not so much for thick carpet but its better than nothing. Just empty it daily and clean the brushes often. Its amazing the amount of dust and bits they pick up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Can it make it over door saddle's?

Advertisement