Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ouya console - ~ €95 on Amazon.com (inc P&P and Import)

• 23-04-2014 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,999 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

I noticed the Ouya is reduced to £80 on amazon today - Price has gone up on Amazon.co.uk

It can be bought for a similar price off Amazon.com (inc Postage and import):

Items: EUR 67,32
    Shipping & handling: EUR 9,33
    Total before tax: EUR 76,65
    Estimated tax to be collected: EUR 0,00
    Import Fees Deposit EUR 17,63
    Order total: EUR 94,28

I think you would struggle to get a better XBMC box for that kind of money (other than maybe a rasberry pi, but they require a bit of setup)

The latest firmware update has passthrough of audio on XBMC so there should be no issue with sound on XBMC (you can always get the non ouya version directly off XBMC website either)

The plex app is also good on it.

There are also some pretty fun games on it, especially local multiplayer games if you are that way inclined. My favorites are "No brakes valet", "bombsquad" and "Hidden in Plain Sight"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

I'm tempted by one of these, but any time I've tried setting up XBMC on my PC the experience has been nothing but frustrating.

It seems like 90% of links from the sources that most people rave about are dead, or simply won't play for me. Is that typical of the XBMC experience, or am I just doing something wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,999 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I'm an old foggy, I use XBMC the way it was originally intended :P

I don't have the internet to live stream stuff most of the time.

To be honest, it would definitely not be any easier than a PC to set it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭stooge

One for sale on adverts for E80(saving of 20e). Brand new in Box never opened. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

these come with the free credit or that just the amazon.com version?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭mcw92

Does anyone use Navi-x on xmbc??
    It never seems to load for me :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

stooge wrote: »
    One for sale on adverts for less than £80. Brand new in Box never opened. :)

For the €3 difference I'd much rather go with Amazon's excellent aftersales care than a no comeback private sale, obviously won't post that on your ad, i'm out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,316 ✭✭✭VanZan

mcw92 wrote: »
    Does anyone use Navi-x on xmbc??
    It never seems to load for me :(

I thought I saw that Navi-X shutdown? I never really had much joy with it when I was giving it a whirl.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

could I get Netflix on this - the Roku 3 has my head wreaked here....

You can side load netflix, there is no official app. I haven't used it.

Side-loading is very handy though, download through inbuilt browser and install.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 124 ✭✭Dark sun

VanZan wrote: »
    I thought I saw that Navi-X shutdown? I never really had much joy with it when I was giving it a whirl.

Hi afaik they are working on an update will be releasd end of the month sometime, follow them on twitter for any updates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭stooge

For the €3 difference I'd much rather go with Amazon's excellent aftersales care than a no comeback private sale, obviously won't post that on your ad, i'm out.

I know what you are saying, but if you are genuinely interested you can make an offer on adverts unlike amazon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Has anyone got XBMC on a android device? How does it run? anytime ive used it on the pc its been awful, slow, glitchy and bad quality.

Has anyone got XBMC on a android device? How does it run? anytime ive used it on the pc its been awful, slow, glitchy and bad quality.

What part of XMBC? If its just playing video from a share on computer on my network I have had no issues what so ever, my Ouya is my main way of watching stuff on my TV. Cant really speak on the XBMC plugins that people use though.

What part of XMBC? If its just playing video from a share on computer on my network I have had no issues what so ever, my Ouya is my main way of watching stuff on my TV. Cant really speak on the XBMC plugins that people use though.

Ive so little info on using XMBC but I downloaded it and installed NAVI-X, was able to find different channels etc but quality wasnt great.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭varuka

The Ouya is a great little device...i use it more than my ps4.

The list of things you can do with the little cube is endless.

Must add that while you can side load netflix on it and it works an all but the quality is not = no HD streaming.

varuka wrote: »
    The Ouya is a great little device...i use it more than my ps4.

The list of things you can do with the little cube is endless.

Must add that while you can side load netflix on it and it works an all but the quality is not = no HD streaming.

Easy enough to install XBMC? Looks good think ill take a punt on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

Easy enough to install XBMC? Looks good think ill take a punt on it.

Super easy. An Ouya version installs straight from the Ouya store or you can sideload different versions of XBMC

groom wrote: »
    Super easy. An Ouya version installs straight from the Ouya store or you can sideload different versions of XBMC

Sweeeeeeeeet ill be getting this :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

I have to buy this. Can't resist!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Just ordered one. Have an Atv2 & a MINIX NEO G4 but not happy with Xbmc performs on them.

• Advertisement

Ordered mine 133 with 2 day delivery thanks OP

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Ordered mine 133 with 2 day delivery thanks OP

the amazon price includes delivery and would work out about €100 delivered in probably 5 days max. Is two days worth an extra 30 bucks?

i got a flubit offer of £70.86 but think i'll pass for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I currently run XBMC on my ATV2, been running XBMC accross a host of platforms for years.

I stream content from my NAS, but on occasions will stream content from the web with 1chan or icefilms.

Can OUYA do 1080p, one of the drawbacks of the ATV2 setup is that it can only max out at 720p.

sweetie wrote: »
    the amazon price includes delivery and would work out about €100 delivered in probably 5 days max. Is two days worth an extra 30 bucks?

i got a flubit offer of £70.86 but think i'll pass for now.
    I'd say he meant €103.

Nope 133 I dont mind paying extra for quick delivery.

Nope 133 I dont mind paying extra for quick delivery.
    That's madness.
    I signed up for a free trial of amazon prime for a month and got delivery free to Parcel Motel up north and it'll be delivered tomorrow and I'll have it in Dublin on Saturday for less than €105.

TheDoc wrote: »
    I currently run XBMC on my ATV2, been running XBMC accross a host of platforms for years.

I stream content from my NAS, but on occasions will stream content from the web with 1chan or icefilms.

Can OUYA do 1080p, one of the drawbacks of the ATV2 setup is that it can only max out at 720p.

I don't have much 1080p content , but the ouya outputs in 1080p for sure. I think I have played 1080p stuff on it but I can't be sure.

I had/have an apple TV and I would rate the Ouya a much better XBMC box than the atv2 (although the Atv2 might not have been running the latest XBMC, but it was at the time)

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    That's madness.
    I signed up for a free trial of amazon prime for a month and got delivery free to Parcel Motel up north and it'll be delivered tomorrow and I'll have it in Dublin on Saturday for less than €105.

Im on Amazon years so cant sign up to any freebies, I honestly dont mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭gsp119

I have one of these about 2 months now - very easy to set up.. runs xbmc fine
    my only niggle with it is the fan - gets very loud...

• Advertisement

gsp119 wrote: »
    I have one of these about 2 months now - very easy to set up.. runs xbmc fine
    my only niggle with it is the fan - gets very loud...

Bit like the xbox 360 so im grand :D what apps would you advise to download?

Advertisement