Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Announce FTA Saorsat service

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Oscarziggy

OH !!
    Maybe I should rescan more often !!
    I've been spending too much time trying to sort out the Terrestrial signal over here since MUX2 came into operation...........
    Thanks.
    Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭Rick_

No RTÉ ONE HD on Saorsat? If I relied on that service alone I'd be pretty annoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

There is bound to be eventually as 2RN (formerly RTE NL) use Saorsat as site feed backup. Likely they are negotiating the extra bandwidth costs or waiting till there is actually HD content.

Yep no HD but it does have an EPG which my terrestrial box doesn't have because it won't store RTE1 HD but that is another story !!
    Interestingly the EPG on Saorsat just shows "now and next" whereas before it used to shows days ahead.
    Regards

Is there a new virtual transponder on Saorsat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭swoofer

just to say the 7 day epg is still on saorsat or it is now as I just checked in case people are interested.

watty what is a virtual transponder and any frequency?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Boggy

The walker WP645 combi has always had 2 transponder frequencies in its list for KA-sat. 20185L (already in use) and 20008L. I checked 20008L last night - no signal

GBCULLEN.
    Only NOW and NEXT still for me.
    If I turn the dish to 19E RTL Television has a full EPG for days ahead .....
    Strange....

Boggy.
    Thanks for the other transponder info --- haven't done the maths to check yet.

Regards

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    just to say the 7 day epg is still on saorsat or it is now as I just checked in case people are interested.

watty what is a virtual transponder and any frequency?

Each Transponder used to equate to one actual Travelling wave Tube. Nowadays most Satellite Transmitters can have multiple carriers per transmitter. The Modulation type and Symbol rate defines the channel width.

So each listed "Transponder" frequency now is really just a carrier. Ka Sat has 82 spot beams! These use two bands and two polarities. Frequencies are reused. We don't know how many real "Transponders" there are. Also there is on board multiplexing and switching, so the relationship between uplink and downlink isn't physically fixed like on a traditional transponder.

Early diagram
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66911631&postcount=12

Hence the existing frequency is a "Virtual" transponder. It uses shared physical resources.

So the Band & Polarity for Ireland already has multiple virtual transponders. Some are used for Internet. But there is or was space reserved for a 2nd same size channel. There is a limit to Symbol Rate of receivers, so having a single larger width channel, while more efficient of bandwidth has a limit.

Watty.
    Thanks for the explanation.
    Could someone refresh the memory please to work out what frequency parameters I should enter for 20008L?
    For 20185L I originally entered 11185 which didn't work --- then found a post saying enter 10767 which does work.

Many thanks.
    Regards

• Advertisement

20185 - 20008 = 177 MHz
    So either 10767 -177 or 10767 + 177 depend if frequency inversion.
    10590 sounds too low so maybe inverted so 10944

Keep an eye out here too
    http://www.lyngsat.com/Eutelsat-Ka-Sat-9A.html

According to Wikipedia
    Each spotbeam is associated with a 237 MHz wide transponder, allowing a data bit rate througput of 475 Mbit/s per spot.
    The 475Mbps is an aggregate theoretical maximum for clear skies with no ice crystal. A typical aggregate is more like 200Mbps.
    The Internet access is adaptive depending on weather. The Saorsat being Broadcast TV can't be adaptive, it's at a suitable bitrate, FEC and power vs channel width for the wettest day and recommended dish with a margin for some degradation.

watty.
    Thanks again.

Quote:The Saorsat being Broadcast TV can't be adaptive, it's at a suitable bitrate, FEC and power vs channel width for the wettest day and recommended dish with a margin for some degradation.
    Or spiders finding somewhere warm to build a nest inside the LNB after the front cover fell off !!

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭dbcool

RTÉ One HD is not presently available on Saorsat and we do not have any updates in this regard. However, we expect that this situation will change sometime in 2014.

Regards,

Technical Support
    2RN (RTÉ Transmission Network Ltd)

dbcool wrote: »
    RTÉ One HD is not presently available on Saorsat and we do not have any updates in this regard. However, we expect that this situation will change sometime in 2014.

Regards,

Technical Support
    2RN (RTÉ Transmission Network Ltd)

Thanks

Regards

No, there is no margin for spider's nests.

When RTE decides to pay, 2RN will stick it on Saorsat. It's possible the Purchase Order is sitting on someone's desk. A lot of Bureaucracy and middle management in RTE. Everyone is managed on a "need to know" basis as if it was GCHQ.

As I said earlier it will be on Saorsat. I'd not bet on TV3 & 3E though unless there is legislation and then threats of fines, then licence removal. So TV3 & 3E unlikely, more likely to see UTV Ireland on it eventually!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 bigVee

After carrying out a blind scan on KaSat I can now receive 7 Saorsat channels on 10780; SR 2500; FEC 1/2 on the Spiderbox. I assume RTE1+1 should appear in the evening following a rescan. Signal strength and quality same as on 10765.

Just checked the frequency and no signal on it for me....
    What I have noticed is that RTE2 HD is very jerky --- "Top Gear"
    Regards

Oscarziggy wrote: »
    Just checked the frequency and no signal on it for me....
    What I have noticed is that RTE2 HD is very jerky --- "Top Gear"
    Regards

Here on NE Antrim coast reception at present is excellent with 80 cm dish signal 92%; quality 60%. RTE1+1 added after rescan. Best maybe to do a blind scan if 10780 does not show a signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭swoofer

use 25000 there is a signal and a longer epg.

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    use 25000 there is a signal and a longer epg.
    Apologies my mistake. SR is 25000 not 2500.

• Advertisement

Yes I did use 25000 ---- I may delete the transponders and start again.
    Interesting that you now have a longer EPG --- mine is only "Now and Next"
    Regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Oscarziggy wrote: »
    Yes I did use 25000 ---- I may delete the transponders and start again.
    Interesting that you now have a longer EPG --- mine is only "Now and Next"
    Regards

I would say that is more a software glitch of your Spiderbox/Mvision box.

Full EPG restored --- it was a combination of signal strength and the frequency entered --I had 10765 which gives Now and Next but 10766 gives the full EPG .
    Odd.
    Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

SaorSat list.jpg

SaorSat RTE 2 HD.jpg

Saorsat RTE1.jpg

Tv3.jpg

SaorSat & Freeview.jpg

I have installed SaorSat on the Triax combo TSC114

Saorview from Forth was only working 40% on the new channel 56, the only way for me to get RTE 1 was with saorsat, channel 52 from forth worked fine 90%, I would be 25 miles from Forth.

I have combined with the freeview aerial for Wales which also brings in saorview channels giving me TV3 and 3e 50% of the time.

Saorsat is working perfect, epg perfect.

Only downfall with the Triax box is it does not work RTE text on saorsat channels/ does works on TG4 saorsat, the combo will also place saorsat channels to the end of the channel list on the rare occasion if it picks up new freeview channels, in the past other English and even French terrestrial channels have tuned in. For this reason I have edited the name adding sat to the saorsat channels.

I suppose when every possible channel tunes in leaving it a carrier, this will no longer be a problem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

FRIENDO wrote: »
    Saorview from Forth was only working 40% on the new channel 56, the only way for me to get RTE 1 was with saorsat, channel 52 from forth worked fine 90%, I would be 25 miles from Forth.

25 miles? Obviously you can't get Mt. Leinster then? Or were you just on Forth because of the co-channel from Wales?

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    25 miles? Obviously you can't get Mt. Leinster then? Or were you just on Forth because of the co-channel from Wales?

I can’t get Mt. Lenister, it’s blocked. However the saorview Mt. Lenister does come in on the back of the group B aerial from Wales
    not very reliable

No co-channel, I was using separate aerials for Wales and Forth and different connections to the TV points, combining terrestrial signal did not work for me.

Saorsat is the only way I can get RTE etc guaranteed
    I also get a great freeview signal

Sorry if font is big, don't know what happened.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

I know the co-channel is gone now, since Mt. Leinster moved to the old analogue freqs.

Did you try a dedicated aerial for Mt. L.? Think I would have done, if I was already getting signal on the 'wrong' aerial. The new mast at Mt. L. should have improved coverage in a few areas compared to what it was pre-switchover.

But I suppose if you're badly in the shadow of a hill or something, there isn't much can be done about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,804 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Triax UIs are awful - I have a 112 but that one looks worse!

"Symble Rate" :eek:

The É in RTÉ looks terrible as well (doesn't line up with the baseline of other characters - but oddly on the channel list it does)

Life ain't always empty.

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    I know the co-channel is gone now, since Mt. Leinster moved to the old analogue freqs.

Did you try a dedicated aerial for Mt. L.? Think I would have done, if I was already getting signal on the 'wrong' aerial. The new mast at Mt. L. should have improved coverage in a few areas compared to what it was pre-switchover.

But I suppose if you're badly in the shadow of a hill or something, there isn't much can be done about it.

Hi Peter,
    I tried everything for Mt. Lenister, a big hill in the way
    I have a very good group B aerial for freeview and a very good wide band aerial for Forth.
    The old Monasootha Relay never had tv3 anyway.
    Possibly could of tried a top of the market C/D aerial for Forth I think, however may not have been guaranteed.
    I already had an 80cm dish set up for Astra1, it was cheaper to buy the saorsat Lnb and have a guaranteed service.

• Advertisement

ninja900 wrote: »
    Triax UIs are awful - I have a 112 but that one looks worse!

"Symble Rate" :eek:

The É in RTÉ looks terrible as well (doesn't line up with the baseline of other characters - but oddly on the channel list it does)

The good thing about the Triax is that all channels are on the same channel list, a single EPG, the box originally belonged to my Father who found a single channel list easy to use for saorview/FTA
    Other saorview combo's at the time had two channel lists.
    Apart from the re tuning and finding new terrestrial channels on the rare occasion, which puts sat channels to the end. The box is ok.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement