Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance for classic cars

• 24-02-2020 6:50pm
    Site Banned Posts: 38

Are there any loop holes for legally getting an old car onto the road? It's not fair that we're effectively banned from driving a 90s car as our main vehicle! On the very rare occasion I see a 90s car on the road, and I wonder how the person managed to insure it. It's funny when you think about it... we can be unique with the choice of clothes we ware, but the system we have stops us from being unique with our choice of car. Unless of course we buy a span knew luxury model, and that's not realistic for most.

For example, for those of remember, Patrick Jane used to drive an old citroen DS 20. If he were in Ireland he'd have to pay an absolute fortune in order to drive that as a vehicle that's not registered in vintage class.

Of course there's things that we can do to a typical car to make it more unique, but what can you do in order to buy an older car? Something like a 90s Mercedes C class, or an Audi S2. Why do I feel that I'm the only person out there that resents this? There's then the other question of how is it possible to insurance a car of the year 2001, which isn't a classic. Such a car would be even harder to insure.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,749 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

who say's you're banned ?

I have a 90, 01 and 03 - some on 'daily driver' insurance, but all are eligible for classic as well.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭UrbanFox

Don't forget to have the taxation class altered with the local authority just before it's 30th birthday - €56 ??

Advertisement