Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Have a few policies with QuoteDevil for years, quoted me 485 and dropped to 455 over the phone.
    Commercial vehicle, wife named driver, both have private cars, full clean licence, no penalty points or claims between us.

Chill wanted 761
    Axa 394

Waiting on a couple of call backs.

QuoteDevil got back to me yesterday with a better quote (from AXA) of 425, told them Axa already quoted me 394 and I was going with them unless they could beat it.

Budabing, they could all of a sudden do it for 375. (I love the way these guys drop the price and expect you to agree straight away.) I said I'd get back to them.

Got on to insuremyvan told them what I was quoted and they said they'd match it, I told them I was looking for them to beat it, they couldn't, not even by a tenner. Adios to them.

Emailed QuoteDevil told them I had a quote matching their latest offering and asked could they better it, they could do it for 360 if I agreed there and then.

Thank God for all the people who just go with the first quote they get because that leaves plenty wiggle room for the likes of me.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭markc1184

If you are asked who your current insurer is and you answer AXA, I don't see why not

It doesn't ask that on Axas online quote form.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Yoghurt87

2006 1.4L Toyota Auris
    10 years NCB
    Fully comp and employer indemnification
    Axa Renewal quote: €835.74
    Cornmarket bells and whistles with Forsa discount: €507.94

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

markc1184 wrote: »
    It doesn't ask that on Axas online quote form.

It might do when you go to purchase. If it doesn't, you're fine

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

31 full licence clean 12+ years no claims
    172 Skoda Octavia RS 2.0 petrol
    €391 TPF&T
    €593 fully comp.
    123.ie

You see petrols can be very cheap to insure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭duffman3833

You see petrols can be very cheap to insure.

My BMW 320i is petrol and i currently have the cheapest insurance i ever had

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

Got my renewal in from Axa today. Gone up by around €250 from last year to €1020 on a 2010 Octavia vrs, with a windscreen claim from 2016 settled at €222.50. Price also includes NCB protection and lost key protection.

If I go onto Axa website and get a quote with all the same details it gives me a quote of €740. Is anything stopping me from just purchasing the online quote and posting in all the relevant documents?

I have done this (Not with Axa) and there was no problem. Was cheaper as a new customer online than the renewal they sent out or could reduce it to over the phone. I contacted them about it and was told there is nothing stopping me doing it at all - in fact they said they can use my documentation so I didn't have to re submit everything again.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭kig

Your age: 55 with 2 named drivers one under 25
    Car type and engine: Honda Civic 2005 1.4l
    Years driving: 20+
    Any claims: 1 (first one ever) in 2017 so 4yrs ncd
    Price and provider: 1150 with coverinaclick.ie (Kennco).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

Your age: 26
    Car type and engine: 132 Seat Ibiza
    Years driving: 4
    Any claims: No

Renewal with FBD comprehensive down to €480

• Registered Users Posts: 4 TA123123123123

Your age: 27 (with 1 named driver under 25)
    Car type and engine: Focus 1.6L 2011 Diesel
    Licence: Full, 3 years
    NCB: 3 years NCB (+ named driver experience)

Paid last year - 860 TPFT (with charges for named driver and location changes)
    Renewal quote - Campion - 1050

Quotes:
    Kennco - 800
    Acorn - 898
    GMHD - 908
    AA - 960
    QuoteMe - 964
    AVIVA - 977
    An Post - 984
    AIG - 1004
    ItsForWomen - 1014
    FBD - 1018
    Britton - 1030
    Chill - 1033
    First Ireland - 1038
    Alliance (phone) - 1050
    Liberty - 1149
    AXA - 1199
    Campion (new customer quote) - 1238
    25Plus - 1240
    AIB - 1293
    BestQuote - 1301
    Allianz - 1303
    XS Direct - 1341
    Sheridan - 1372
    Glennons - 1395
    Dolmen (phone) - About 1350-1500
    Cornmarket - 1780
    123.ie - 1843
    Blue - 1874
    BOI - No quote
    Zurich - No quote

Went for the cheapest - Kennco at 800 comp, SDP with 500 excess. That's with a nearly €60 reduction over the phone after ringing them. (as usual the "it's cheaper online" bull**** is a complete lie)

Surprised how awful some of the quotes were, especially from a past insurer who gave me decent quotes before, but much less variation as a spread than other years (less PFO quotes). Was getting some prep quotes a few months ago, and some of the insurers quotes are now up e300-400 with no change in details. Some years you can guess how good your quote will be by how they frame the question - this year not so much.

Whole market is a rip-off, and seems to display all the hallmarks of a proper cartel - by rights there should be an obviously cheap insurer for certain types of driver and risk, but that just doesn't seem to exist, does it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,952 ✭✭✭opus

Your age: 52
    Car type and engine: 05 Honda Civic 2L petrol
    NCB: Max

FBD renewal for this year was €490, went onto their website & got a quote for €423 (including breakdown assistance) instead which was a shiny € less than last year. Due to the age of the car not many are willing to quote on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,740 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Got my renewal in from Axa today. Gone up by around €250 from last year to €1020 on a 2010 Octavia vrs, with a windscreen claim from 2016 settled at €222.50. Price also includes NCB protection and lost key protection.

If I go onto Axa website and get a quote with all the same details it gives me a quote of €740. Is anything stopping me from just purchasing the online quote and posting in all the relevant documents?

Absolutely nothing to stop you: or you can ring them up and just tell them they've quoted you online for the lower price and ask them to adjust the renewal to match.

Failing that, go for the new policy.

Absolutely zero loyalty incentive there tbh.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭markc1184

galwaytt wrote: »
    Absolutely nothing to stop you: or you can ring them up and just tell them they've quoted you online for the lower price and ask them to adjust the renewal to match.

Failing that, go for the new policy.

Absolutely zero loyalty incentive there tbh.

I went into them earlier this week to question the online quote and he said the online included a multi policy discount for having my home insurance with them. He also said something about a crossover policy and that I was on the older version and the quote was for the newer type. TBH it sounded like waffle and trying to justify maximising their margins. He honoured the new quote though so I was happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Pleasantly surprised at AIG - got lowest quote of my life at €409.

5 series, fully comp, wife as named driver.

I do have 30+ years of no claims and zero points which probably helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Male 39 years old;
    Full license held 19 years;
    13 years NCB in own name and 5 years claims free as a named driver prior to that;
    No accidents, penalty points, claims, convictions existing or pending. No medical conditions.
    2011 Toyota Avensis D4D, standard right hand drive and no modifications. Alarm and immobilizer. Parked on a driveway on a nightly basis.

Coverinaclick renewal €649.51 for Comp (Underwriter Allianz).
    Liberty - €1,091.37 for Comp and €987.11 for TPF&T.
    AIG - €865 Comp and €845 TPF&T.
    Axa €858.74 Comp.
    123.ie €780.68 Comp and €602.14 TPF&T.
    An Post - €708 Comp.
    FBD - €656.94 Comp & €573.02 TPF&T.
    AA - €619.87 Comp and €609.11 TPF&T.
    Chill.ie - €569 Comp (Underwriter Ivernia).

Allianz Direct - €508.23 comp cover. Includes;
    Protected NCB,
    Driving of other cars;
    Breakdown assist including driveway assistance;
    Windscreen cover (all glass on car);
    Personal effects and clothing (limited to €200 in respect of any one occurrence);
    Personal Accident Benefits- Driver and occupants of car (quite comprehensive).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭ofcork

You did better than me lowest I got was 528 chill/ ivernia on a 12 avensis and I'm 48 full license since 2001 no claims etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

If you have a partner with full license, add them as a named driver. It can take 20% off your quote in some cases.

Me
    45, male, full ncb, zero points, sorento, €504 Axa

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

ofcork wrote: »
    You did better than me lowest I got was 528 chill/ ivernia on a 12 avensis and I'm 48 full license since 2001 no claims etc.
    Did you try as many providers as me? I spent the bones of half a day on the phone calling quite a few (what I listed isn't even all). Soul destroying stuff but time well spent all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jordanfaf

Just changed my car, shocked ath the quote (in a good way)

Your age: 23
    Car type and engine: 2015 BMW M235i
    Years driving: 6

eur 890 fully comp with An post

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭BaguMka

I'm 60years old male, full no claim bonus. When I add my son (34years old) to my policy it goes up by 400euro from 800e to 1200, he has 10years driving experience under my policy never had any claim..anyone know why is that ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,198 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

BaguMka wrote: »
    I'm 60years old male, full no claim bonus. When I add my son (34years old) to my policy it goes up by 400euro from 800e to 1200, he has 10years driving experience under my policy never had any claim..anyone know why is that ??

No one in the world knows why, i added my son(18) to my policy who had just passed his test, went from €280 to €480 with Aviva which i thought was reasonable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

God be with the days I was paying £4000 a year, yes £ not €, for third party only cover

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

wonski wrote: »
    Good News!

Licence: Full Irish 9 years
    NCB:10 years
    Car: 2005 Volvo s40

Without named driver: 450

With brother as named driver (42 years old) : 413

Insurer: 123, tpft policy. Sold.

There is a bit of a waiting going on as my policy is due on 28/03 and my 3 penalty points are to be gone on 28/02.

So I can't buy it now online, but will try to phone them tomorrow to see if this can be bought over the phone as the points will be gone by the time the cover is in force.

Alternatively stay quiet for a month and just buy online.

I might just go for the second option reading it again.

Current insurer is Allianz, not sure what they will come up with, but I doubt the can match it.

Allianz sent me renewal. 649. No thanks.

Got back to 123 and 416 euro, total 450 when paid by direct debit. Paid the deposit and happy enough with it. No point looking around at that stage.

God be with the days I was paying £4000 a year, yes £ not €, for third party only cover

Myself and brother paid 2475 pounds in 1998 on a punto!

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭rosmoke

First insurance here 1200e a while ago, was paying 50e a year in Romania before.
    Folks are robbed here.

Myself and brother paid 2475 pounds in 1998 on a punto!

Both of you on a policy did that price? You were hardly 17?

rosmoke wrote: »
    First insurance here 1200e a while ago, was paying 50e a year in Romania before.
    Folks are robbed here.

Companies from overseas won’t come here due to the claims culture apparently, the industry is effectively cartel in Ireland

I was 27 he was 20.

Big difference there, Expensive by the standards of the day though

Both of you on a policy did that price? You were hardly 17?

I was 27 him 20,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I forget the exact price I paid but it was a couple of thousand euros back around 2002 with Quinn direct on a provisional.

Advertisement