Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog to lose an Eye

• 01-03-2020 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭

My poor dog is to go into surgery tomorrow to get an eye ball removed he is blind in that eye for a while now and he was to the vets a few times and on eye drops but they didn't work/help so it was decided he has to have it removed. I'm a bit nervous due to his age he is 5 weeks away from his 16th birthday. Anyone know what happens in the procedure? Never had a dog in for surgery before.

504348.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Poor you, but if he's already blind in that eye, after the surgery he will be much more comfortable.
    Presumably your vet believes that your dog is in good enough shape to cope with the anaesthetic - that would be my biggest consideration
    I hope your dog had a quick and speedy recovery

• Registered Users Posts: 11,807 ✭✭✭✭anewme

No advice just wishing you both well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Our little lads is 13 and due to a health issues has to be operated on every 3 months or so. Full anesthehic bounces back every time thank heavens.

Wishing your little fella ❣️ the very best.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Chances are it's uncomfortable for him as it is op... he'll get a lot of relief from its removal.
    But mostly I posted because I want to wish him well... what a great age :) Will be thinking of him tomorrow.
    Will you keep us posted?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

DBB wrote: »
    Chances are it's uncomfortable for him as it is op... he'll get a lot of relief from its removal.
    But mostly I posted because I want to wish him well... what a great age :) Will be thinking of him tomorrow.
    Will you keep us posted?

I will, hopefully it will be good news.

He is a great age the oldest dog I ever had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Eyespy

First of all, wishing your little one the very best tomorrow. As DBB and everyone else said, that's a fantastic age. Again, your vet must be happy that they're in good health although will probably strongly recommend pre-anaesthetic bloods tomorrow to ensure that the liver/kidneys are able to process the anaesthetic. In terms of surgery, it's not the longest procedure which means that everything going well will not experience a long anaesthetic and the recovery hopefully will be quicker/easier.

In my experience the eye probably won't be bandaged post surgery, you'll either be given the buster collar/inflatable collar to protect the surgical site from interference from the patient. This is normally day 3 once the stitches start pulling and the area gets itchy. Jesus, they will do anything at this stage to get at the wound so you might have to take shifts to watch overnight but then, your little one might be different to my big wuss. Good pain relief will cover most inflammation. Possible post op complication is swelling of the surgery area. It can look awful but it does receed over time usually a couple of days with anti-inflammatories. Stitches will be checked usually at 2 days then removed at 10/14 days depending on the practice. Over time the site will become a hollow but once the hair grows back most people that meet your dog probably won't notice at all.

I think that's it. It was a while since B had his surgery. But that eye looks like it's quite uncomfortable so there should be loads of relief once it's out. The very best for tomorrow and please let us know how you both get on. It's a fairly routine surgery too so please try not to worry. Trust your vet to do the absolute best for your little baby. And will be thinking of you both.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭sdp

Just want to wish you and your dog, best of luck today, will be thinking of you.

I was on the phone to the vet and everything seemed to go fine. He is on a drip at the minute and I will pick him up at 5pm from the animal hospital. That's relief anyway as I was worried due to his age.

Brilliant! Delighted to hear that :). He'll be so much more comfortable now with the damaged eye gone. He might even have a new lease of life now :D

My poor dog. It was a more serious operation than I thought especially at his age(less than 5 weeks away from 16) At least he ate a while ago but hasn't drank any water yet even though I tried to get him to a few times. He also urinated out the back which is good I suppose. He hadn't eating anything since 6pm yesterday.

He is sleeping now which is another good thing. And he is bald and swollen around the eye they removed. They also shaved a bit of his leg for the drip.

• Advertisement

The fact he's eating and going for a wee are good! He will sleep a lot as he has been through the mill. Dogs hate vets.

You've done your best for him so bear that in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

My boy doesn't take aesthetic well, takes a while to wear off, even sedation is slow to leave his system, his most recent was last week, usually he's very sleepy and quiet, often eats a little but doesn't drink much, they give fluids through drip so not unusual vet told me, if you can leave a bowl of water close to him for the night.
    Oh and he may need to pee a lot, between the fluids and anything he drinks, my boy does for a day or 2, makes me wonder where all the pee comes out of :)
    Great he came through it well, hope he's feeling better soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭JustAThought

How is your dog doing OP?

How is your dog doing OP?

He is actually recovering very well. He was in a bad way when I collected him but that was most likely the anesthesia still in body. He was a bit better the next morning but was back to himself that evening. He still looks funny with the shaved patches on his leg and around the eye and it is still stitched up but as I said he is back to himself which is the most important.

But he has a wheezing cough every now and then as if he is trying to clear something from his throat. He actually had that cough a few weeks ago but it went and has come back since he had the operation. I am hoping it goes again and maybe he has something stuck from the operation.

Could be from the tube down his throat whilst he was under. It should subside, but no harm to mention it to your vet anyway, just because of your dog's age.
    Delighted he's in good form now! Great news :)

DBB wrote: »
    Delighted he's in good form now! Great news :)

Thanks.

It's so upsetting to see them in a bad way and in pain. Heartbreaking.

On the cough, hopefully it is the anesthetics but worth keeping an eye on. I dont want to alarm you but our little one (15) developed a cough like you say, almost with a choke or a retch at the end. Turned out to be age related heart disease. Shes on tablets now for it. I wouldn't even raise it OP only you mentioned you fella had it prior to the operation and the way you described it. Just monitor it and might be no harm raising it with the vet when you are back for a check up.

Well for those that are interested my dog has made it to his 16th Birthday today. Despite having to get an eye out a month ago he has healed very well. The hair hasn't fully grown back yet but looks far better than when I picked him up from the animal hospital the day of surgery.

508239.jpg

508240.jpg

508241.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭JustAThought

They are such brilliant photos - and what a cake!!! It looks like he is about to launch into it!!! He looks really healthy and happy - I hope his wheeze is better too? Happy 16th Birthday !!! Wishing you many more good times and happy adventures !

Ps Who made the amazing cake with all the bone treats - genius!!!

They are such brilliant photos - and what a cake!!! It looks like he is about to launch into it!!! He looks really healthy and happy - I hope his wheeze is better too? Happy 16th Birthday !!! Wishing you many more good times and happy adventures !

Ps Who made the amazing cake with all the bone treats - genius!!!

My mother. It's a dog cake recipe she found a few years ago. To be honest with you that is his third cake over the past 3 birthdays. We thought each birthday would be his last but he keeps on living but I 100% doubt he will make it to 17.

He did launch into the cake for a few bites after the pics were taking. He has eaten enough today as it is pretty rich. I have another dog who got some of it as well. The will have a bit each for a few days.

• Advertisement

Such a great update.

When I saw the thread pop up, I just thought to myself, I can't open this, just not more bad news. Delighted to see these heart warming photos. He looks brilliant and nowhere near 16. Make every day a bonus with him. Cake is amazing.

Awwww happy birthday wotzgoingon's dog! :)
    Spread the celebration out over a few days with that nyommy cake!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Aww, happy birthday to him.
    Glad he's recovered well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

He's gorgeous and this is the loveliest news I've seen in ages. Fair play to you OP, he's very lucky to have you.

Advertisement