Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Steak Thread SEE OP

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 268 ✭✭Paddy Dreadful

Dónal wrote: »
    I prefer striploin to sirloin or fillet, so this doesn't hold true for me!

Striploin is a better cut than Sirloin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Filet > Striploin > Sirloin > Topside/Round/Minute steak

Click around this link and really impress your butcher:
    http://www.bordbia.ie/consumer/aboutfood/meat/Pages/Beefcuts-striploin.aspx

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 268 ✭✭Paddy Dreadful

where would T-Bone come in that list?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Love striploin, much much nicer than sirloin. Tried to get striploin in a UK butchers and they insisted it was the same as sirloin. Ah no!

where would T-Bone come in that list?

porterhouse_and_t-bone.jpg
    A T-Bone (Porterhouse if big enough) is actually 2 steaks in one: fillet and striploin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Big fan of Aldi Sirloin, never had much luck with Lidl. Must try a Striploin.

Lidl have their fillets on sale a lot. Usually 4 euros sale price for a decent sized and tasty steak. Vacuum wrapped so worth picking up a few when on sale. I got one last week but not sure if sale price still there this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Rib-eye is better than those. Fillet way too lean for me, not sure why most people seem to think it's the best.

Rib-eye is better than those. Fillet way too lean for me, not sure why most people seem to think it's the best.

When done right, a well marbled fillet will melt in your mouth like butter. But you're correct that rib-eye is a fattier cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Aldi does Angus beef, Lidl does Hereford. I much prefer Angus.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,410 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

When done right, a well marbled fillet will melt in your mouth like butter. But you're correct that rib-eye is a fattier cut.

You need a bit of fat for flavour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Blackie Grey

Aldis striploin are tasty.I used get tescos sirloins but they tasted like an old hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Alkers

Butcher>aldi>lidl>super valu>tesco for me. Main reason in preferring butcher is being able to ask for a thick cut. I hate when the pre packed sirloins especially are actually really big steaks but only a cm thick. Such a waste

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

A good fillet has no marbelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Butcher>aldi>lidl>super valu>tesco for me. Main reason in preferring butcher is being able to ask for a thick cut. I hate when the pre packed sirloins especially are actually really big steaks but only a cm thick. Such a waste

Some butchers (dry hung, Angus, 21+days)>Tesco (will cut to order)>Aldi (often very different size steaks in the twin pack>Super Valu>another protein entirely

Anyone else notice the M&S meal for two for €14 had miniscule, 1cm sirloins last weekend? I gave them a big fat pass but there were people firing half a dozen packs into their trolleys as fast as the staff could stock the shelves.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Simona1986 wrote: »

1000% agree.

why this is in the bargain alerts forum rather than the food section though is beyond me. not a bargain to be seen yet

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Lexendr

mossym wrote: »
    1000% agree.

why this is in the bargain alerts forum rather than the food section though is beyond me. not a bargain to be seen yet

I think it was a good idea but you're right-most supermarkets will only do a deal on steak if it's very near its sell by date-usually those haven't been sold for a reason

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Alkers

Dubl07 wrote: »
    Some butchers (dry hung, Angus, 21+days)>Tesco (will cut to order)>Aldi (often very different size steaks in the twin pack>Super Valu>another protein entirely

Anyone else notice the M&S meal for two for €14 had miniscule, 1cm sirloins last weekend? I gave them a big fat pass but there were people firing half a dozen packs into their trolleys as fast as the staff could stock the shelves.

I am never in Tesco when the butcher counter is open so I was only referring to their pre-packaged meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,917 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Forget fillet, sirloin, strip loin, ribeye you haven't lived until you have eaten Flat Iron, €4.99 in Lidl for 300g its excellent.

Specially Selected Ribeye in Aldi is lovely too.

A few people are grumbling about the lack of bargain talk. Often I see specials in the paper like T-bone normally €22.99/kg now €15.40/kg and don't really know how good a deal that is compared to other shops. Maybe a table showing steak type and price per kg would help. Of course, there are lots of factors other than price but as a guide to a good bargain maybe it would help.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭beanian

1223.gif

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

bc699ae290be2ca63a04b96f56cc0013.png

Just arrived in my email.
    The picture, not the steak itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Yessss, finally a bargain !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

vicwatson wrote: »
    Yessss, finally a bargain !!

The OP posted that 2 days ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Striploin is more expensive than sirloin.

You can't beat fillet though, a good one just melts in your mouth so good!!

Fillet Steak like Chicken breasts are some of the least flavoursome cuts .

Fine if you don’t particularly like the taste of meat or if you dress in sauce.

if you want flavour though always go for Rib eye or Striploin or if you have time to marinate before hand a really cheap cut like Beef cheeks are yum.

if you know how to cook a piece of top rib prepared right will match nearly any steak.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

Fillet Steak like Chicken breasts are some of the least flavoursome cuts .

Fine if you don’t particularly like the taste of meat or if you dress in sauce.

if you want flavour though always go for Rib eye or Striploin or if you have time to marinate before hand a really cheap cut like Beef cheeks are yum.

if you know how to cook a piece of top rib prepared right will match nearly any steak.

Very high quality 28 day aged fillet lightly seasoned and served RARE is full of flavour. It is not cheap though. People buy cheap fillet and overcook it then wonder what the fuss is.

Good rib-eye, while fantastic, has three or four times the amount of calories of fillet, you cant be eating it all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,410 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Very high quality 28 day aged fillet lightly seasoned and served RARE is full of flavour. It is not cheap though. People buy cheap fillet and overcook it then wonder what the fuss is.

Good rib-eye, while fantastic, has three or four times the amount of calories of fillet, you cant be eating it all the time.

How do you know that?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

The OP posted that 2 days ago?

You are right. Sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

Can a normal person buy from Musgraves? or is it not just shops?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭DANNY2014

Yummy rib eye calories here I come... Had new york style rib steaks recently and oh myyyy God was delicious it was slightly black in colour before cooking and the flavour was superb... want to try some cheaper cuts of steak such as Chuck or butchers steak meant to have nice marbling so meant to be tender...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

A few people are grumbling about the lack of bargain talk. Often I see specials in the paper like T-bone normally €22.99/kg now €15.40/kg and don't really know how good a deal that is compared to other shops. Maybe a table showing steak type and price per kg would help. Of course, there are lots of factors other than price but as a guide to a good bargain maybe it would help.

I'm not sure of normal T-bone prices per kg but do I know my local butcher has rib eye steaks at €24 a kilo which seems to be a ball park price in most butchers for this cut of meat. €24/kg works out at €6 for a 250g steak. So when Lidl come along offering two 225g rib eye steaks for €6 then it is most certainly a bargain.

My butchers rib eyes are definitely tastier than what Lidl have, however they are not twice as tasty so for this week at least I'm stocking up on a few packets of the Lidl rib eyes while they are at rock bottom prices, effectively 50% cheaper than you'll find them in many butchers.

Advertisement