Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tekken 7 Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

I agree with rage and comeback mechanics , but it could be worse.

The damage in TTT2 isn't that high, if you watch older Tekken vids, the damage is pretty similar, launcher, wall carry then ender would do 50% anyway and that's with one health bar.

If they're going for TA combos, you're given rage ie tag crash so you have a chance to get out and basically gain a whole new 100% health bar (yes it can be baited but it's in your favour) and some characters have nutty tag cancels to get in easy, Bob, Heihachi, Lei, Feng, Jin etc.

I don't see why 2 healthbars doesn't justify the damage (even tho it's not that much higher than T6 staples anyway, only case where it can be silly is off a direct wallsplat with TA), if you're smart about life management and tagging, it doesn't become a problem at all. If you die in 2 combos, you really fked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,694 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Fergus_ wrote: »
    I agree with rage and comeback mechanics , but it could be worse.

The damage in TTT2 isn't that high, if you watch older Tekken vids, the damage is pretty similar, launcher, wall carry then ender would do 50% anyway and that's with one health bar.

If they're going for TA combos, you're given rage ie tag crash so you have a chance to get out and basically gain a whole new 100% health bar (yes it can be baited but it's in your favour) and some characters have nutty tag cancels to get in easy, Bob, Heihachi, Lei, Feng, Jin etc.

I don't see why 2 healthbars doesn't justify the damage (even tho it's not that much higher than T6 staples anyway, only case where it can be silly is off a direct wallsplat with TA), if you're smart about life management and tagging, it doesn't become a problem at all. If you die in 2 combos, you really fked up.
    I don't have a problem with combo damage per se.

I'm just bored watching the same 12 second combos every single juggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Kuro Tao

Trailer is muck.

Cut the cast.

Reduce juggling.

Remove Lars.

Hire the guys that did T4 soundtrack.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Macal

Kuro Tao wrote: »
    Trailer is muck.

Cut the cast.

Reduce juggling.

Remove Lars.

and reduce the waifu count.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Trailer is muck.

Cut the cast.

Reduce juggling.

Remove Lars.

Hire the guys that did T2 soundtrack.

Fixed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Kuro Tao

Fixed.

T4 Soundtrack was best IMO. Or T3. In fact I wasn't a massive fan of T2's at all, bar a couple of tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

Trailer is muck.

Cut the cast.

Reduce juggling.

Remove Lars.

If they can somehow make it Enjoyable to watch for a broader audience that'd be great.

Cast of 25-40 is the right balance.

The Soundtrack in TTT2 is gdlk.

I'll never pick up the series for a plethora of reasons, but, as a spectating experience, it's not exciting for casual audience.

Macal wrote: »
    and increase the waifu count.

Fixed

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭BigStupidGuy

There's nothing that is exciting for an audience if you don't at least partly understand it.

I for one don't understand SF and find it boring. Same for any FG. Same for cricket. ..

• Advertisement

oh you, Gus.

And I think Skeering has a point. I follow a handful of Tekken-based Youtube channels, and you get the mostly uneducated sorts on TMM's channel commenting how they don't watch Street Fighter and Marvel because they believe is "just spamming fireballs" and even a more mature response on channels like Avoiding The Puddle for whatever reasons (Marvel being too match-up and tier heavy) and SF4 for the vortex/option select game.

As sports; I kind of see Street Fighter and Tekken as Football and Formula One. Football is popular for being easy to grasp and Formula One gains a more niche following for sometimes being written off as repetitive and not having the intricacies fully understood. You could make the same comparsion for music genres; ie. Street Fighter is the equivalent of Commercial Rock while Tekken is the equivalent of Jazz. It's a matter of taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

There's nothing that is exciting for an audience if you don't at least partly understand it.

I for one don't understand SF and find it boring. Same for any FG. Same for cricket. ..

Of course with zero understanding its hard to extrapolate whats happening on screen in USF4 and it's true a large majority of people dont actually understand the high level intricacies of a match

But, whats great is that you don't have to understand, its recognizable to a complete Novice,

you'll have people that find it boring and lackluster, ironically enough its the exact same reason the majority find TTT2 boring, difference is: I can teach someone SF in ~1min. Doesn't make the game better, just easily understood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Newaglish wrote: »

What do you all make of this trailer? Not too many details really.

So Heichachi's Mom [He was born with my powers] is appearing? Just what we needed. Another overpowered Mishima. :rolleyes:

All hail mishimas, OP CHARS ARE BEST CHARS

And make her a not-so-**** version of Angel? Actually I think it'd interesting if Kazumi's face actually heavily resembled Angel's. It would make sense since Angel in T2 tried fight the Devil in Kazuya, it's pretty indicated in Tekken lore that Kazumi loved Kazuya and saw good in him. It would make Angel just little less random as a design

In b4 Panda is actually Kazumi

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

I agree with some of the posts. The roster definitely needs to be cut. Clones all should go but remove one of Eddy or Christy also. I'd dislike AK to go as I play with him. I expect Dr. B, AO, Ogre, Jinpachi, and Wang to miss the cut. Lee & Anna need a buff IMO. I'd like to say Yosh too but that's probably wishful thinking. Just hope they won't make him worse. The thoughts of Asuka getting a buff as Fergus mentioned makes me cry.

Juggles need to be shortened but this wouldn't be a problem if it's 1vs1 again. I thought T6 had about the right combo damage. Also if it's a walled level, make the walls start at 24x24 or something. There are stages where its 16x16 and its tiny, especially considering some of the characters wall carry.

Finally, GET RID OF LARS!! I have seen people with absolutely little to no skill beat people with lars because he's so OP - especially online. Even the majority of Lars players admit this. Plenty have said to me that when they lose they pick him for easy wins. Bob & Hwoarang deserve a nerf.

Finally I'm really excited for this game. We shouldn't have to wait so long between games. I expect this to be released sometime next year (summer hopefully). T4 music was the best IMO. Ah... airport theme, a classic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Really though many of the "clones" have evolved way past that point.

Anna is certainly her own character by this point, AK has the whole dark version another character thing going on aesthetically but his moveset is almost completely different from Kings nowadays, even his equivalent moves look and function differently.

I've never played any of the others enough to pass judgement but depending on just how much they want to trim there's a good argument for keeping many of the more developed ones.

Personally I'd want rid of the silly animals although to be fair Kuma is as much a staple of the series as the Mishimas sooooooo... :pac:

Honestly Novi, I know Lars is very strong in this game, but when you break him down it's not that OP. His fastest mids are i15, which are df+1 and df+2, on block they're -5 and -9 respectively. Most of Lars mid moves are minus on block to the point where he shouldn't consider even sidestepping and has to take mix-ups, it's when he hits you that you have to be careful. Asides ff+4,3 and the whole string of db+1,3, he can't give you much incentive to block low. I wouldn't sidestep Lars much at point blank despite the iffy tracking of his df+1. At mid-range though, you can definitely start stepping him.

If Lars was very OP we'd be seeing him a lot more in Top 8s, but honestly in the US the only Lars player I've seen in Top 8s is probably Speedkicks, and he only switches to him when he feels his Jin is having trouble. Knee, Only Practice and Nobi are really the players who justify Lars high tier placement, they implement his sidestep and punishment to maximum potential. Bottom line: It does take skill to win with Lars.

Lars' df1 is i13, one of the better df1s because it does 18 dmg on hit but with a +5 on hit tradeoff.

Lars isn't that easy to play, if you SWR Lars, he's forced to use db4 which is launch punishable, b1 which is momentum killing on block and ff~n moves which are easy to CH.

At lower levels, Lars is a scrub killer, but at a much higher level, he actually does become hard to play.

However I'd like to see Bob go.......**** Bob.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Naphiel

Give Lars a nh combo off DB4 please.

Naphiel wrote: »
    Give Lars a nh combo off DB4 please.

That would be so OP though :pac: Who remembers Tekken 6.0 when Devil Jin's HS was a launcher..oh my dayz

misread the frame data. also look for ff+3+4 and d+1+2 for launch punishable lows. Yeah, Bob is a problem, I know he was a lot worse in T6 but he hasn't fallen that far off tier list. So evasive for such a fat bollocks. Very hard to outspace him as well.

Nutrient wrote: »
    ... the majority find TTT2 boring, difference is: I can teach someone SF in ~1min. Doesn't make the game better, just easily understood.

Please explain how you can teach some one the game in 1 minute?

He doesn't seem to have changed much from T6, CD1 launching was the big thing but he got a huge buff in db3+4 not staggering on block anymore, becomes one of the dumbest moves in the game. Db3+4 on it's own is +6 and on block you can throw off the punish because they'll expect the followup to launch.

Gonna see if hopkick will option select both options. Launch db3+4 and crush db3+4,4

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Dwy

Do you think they'll remove quite a few of the moves from TTT2? I know some were just added in for the benefit of working well with tag but not too sure if they'd actually go through remove any... I can imagine Xiaoyu's f2 1 4 won't be used as much in T7

Please explain how you can teach some one the game in 1 minute?
    Haha. On a different note I remember the first time I went to XGC years ago I overheard a guy saying that Tekken is easy to play and SF takes years to be good at. He then proceeded to play SF and actually wasn't a Tekken player at all. I dunno. xD

Lars is so fast to me. I can't read him most of the time. DB4 might as well be unseeable most of the time and it's guesswork from there. His wall damage makes me sick. And yeah Bob is annoying. His double kick low (don't know the name) that when blocked doesn't stun which everyone spams at walls is broken. I generally don't have much of an issue with him though compared to the fella above.

I don't know anything about frames and never bothered looking it up. I have no idea what - or + means. I just punish when I think a move is risky & spend time overall trying to read the opponent. I should probably invest time in T7 to look it up but the thought seems kinda boring. I just don't think I'd have the patience to learn that stuff. But then again, with playing Yosh I find that his style doesn't rely on punishes and baiting, more so with unpredictability. At least that's the way I try to play.

I don't know anything about frames and never bothered looking it up. I have no idea what - or + means. I just punish when I think a move is risky & spend time overall trying to read the opponent. I should probably invest time in T7 to look it up but the thought seems kinda boring. I just don't think I'd have the patience to learn that stuff. But then again, with playing Yosh I find that his style doesn't rely on punishes and baiting, more so with unpredictability. At least that's the way I try to play.

I noticed that when I saw you play Novi! But the thing is, you instinctively punish correctly a lot of the time, particularly with Paul's d1+2 shoulder :)

Maybe just learn each character's top 10 moves and how safe/unsafe they are? I think that'll take you a very very long way, cause you already have a great instinct for the game.

I noticed that when I saw you play Novi! But the thing is, you instinctively punish correctly a lot of the time, particularly with Paul's d1+2 shoulder :)

Maybe just learn each character's top 10 moves and how safe/unsafe they are? I think that'll take you a very very long way, cause you already have a great instinct for the game.
    Cheers man, and yeah thats a good tip. I've been living out in Barcelona these past 2 months or so so can't go back to TTT2 to practice as PS3 is at home but I'll be sure to keep it in mind. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Ferg96

Hopefully Mr Harada will reveal more info at comic con eg if the woman in the trailer is kazumi, platforms and release dates

Advertisement