Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Forum Charter

• 18-10-2010 7:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭

1)No muppettry. This includes trolling, rude or abusive behavior or serious attitude problems. Users may be warned, then infracted/banned at the moderators discretion.
    There will be no obligation on the mods to issue a warning before action is taken - it is your job to know the rules, it's not the mods job to teach you them.

Common courtesy and a respectful attitude are the entitlements and the requirements of all posters.

2) Stay on topic

3)Respect the opinions of others through a medium of discussion. Debates can get heated, but should always stay within a polite framework respecting the points of views of others. This includes respecting people's qualifications on a certain topic- particularly important on this forum.

4) Any questions about moderators actions should be handled via Private Message, and Not On Thread. Posts about moderator actions on thread are Always Off-topic.

5)Any problems with moderators can also be discussed with the forum cMods - tbh and drindy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Surveys

There have been already some issues here with surveys. Surveys are an invaluable tool, and boards.ie is one way to solicit people to do a survey. Taking the approach provided by the postgraduate forum, there needs to be some regulation regarding the process of surveys here in the ES forum. As spammers and one-time posters may start to cause problems. So, the rules for surveys are as follows:
    1. If you want to post a survey, you MUST PM me first with a link to the survey and what it is about.
    2. I will only allow posters from regular boards.ie members. If your Post Count is zero or very low, I will not.
    3. Your survey thread must have [Survey] in the thread title.

Posting a survey without following the rules on this to the letter will result in a ban of up to and not limited to a week.

Thank you.:)

Folks,

Climate Change [CC] is probably one of the most important issues to face Environmental Scientists and Engineers over the last 60 years. It's a highly debated and discussed plethora of issues and there isn't a single person who isn't affected by it. The official position of the IPCC is that;
    "Warming of the climate system is unequivocal, as is now evident from observations of increases in global average air and ocean temperatures, widespread melting of snow and ice and rising global average sea level."

Now, I encourage all discussion on CC and welcome view points on all aspects of the scientific nature of CC. And this kind of position is again supported by the IPCC;
    "Observational evidence from all continents and most oceans shows that many natural systems are being affected by regional climate changes, particularly temperature increases."

However, what I will not support and what will be dealt with swiftly in this forum is the political nature of climate change. Under no circumstances are any political or lobbying groups, be they the Green Party, Green Peace or BP, will be tolerated. If any members here are found to be in breech of these conditions and are found to be pandering any political agenda, an automatic one week ban will be issued. Re-offending users will be subject to increased bans.

The reason for this is that CC is a genuine scientific and human problem which regardless of political or lobbying groups is of interest to all. However, a branch of environmental and indeed scientific research tends to be denigrated and brought into disrepute when political agendas or lobbying gets thrown in and this has been seen with the CRU email controversy.

Discussion on the positions of governments, states, multi-national bodies and agencies, climate change agreements and issues are all accepted and are welcomed. This also goes for the policies taken and the analysis of such climate change policies (e.g. The plastic bag levy was introduced to improve tourism etc...). What I'm stating here is that the "soft science" approaches to CC are all welcomed.

However, I reiterate that anybody found to be peddling any political or lobbying interest will not be tolerated.

All the best,

El Siglo.

Alright folks,

Have had some issues with spamming and advertisements here recently.

Advertisements will not be tolerated, threads will be closed with immediate effect and posters given a one week ban. This isn't the place to advertise, regardless of how environmentally related it is. If you want to talk about equipment, that's grand but as far as the buying or selling of anything goes: Closure and Ban will follow swiftly.

Regarding events being advertised, you must follow these notice of an event guidelines (NOEG);
    1. If you want to post a survey, you MUST PM me first with a link to the survey and what it is about.
    2. I will only allow posters from regular boards.ie members. If your Post Count is zero or very low, I will not.
    3. Your survey thread must have [Event] in the thread title.

If you breach these guidelines, a ban of one week and closure of thread will follow. Again, same rules as product advertising apply, ticket selling/buying to events won't be tolerated and if you breach both the notice of an event guidelines AND the advertisement spamming rules; serious bans will result.

All the best,

El Siglo.

Alright folks,

Due to recent threads concerning Hydrofracking for shale gas and nuclear power I will start issuing bans if poster keep on with the pseudoscience, conspiracy agenda stuff regarding any controversial issue. It is an Environmental Science forum (i.e. emphasis on the science bit). It is not a forum where people can start throwing around discussion that is inappropriate regarding it's lack of actual empirical evidence. I won't tolerate it and I will perma ban people from the forum if they keep it up.

So, please stick to the science and talk when discussing nuclear power etc... In such a manner that reflects the issue appropriately (i.e. actual cogent discussion, even with references to the likes of wikipedia if you want). Start straying off in tangents of pseudoscience and talking nonsense will see you off the forum permanently.

All the best,

El Siglo.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement