Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's out there.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/showallphotos.aspx?imo=9229386

Nordic Passat in Bantry bay this morning

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Just entering Bantry Bay http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/shipdetails.aspx?mmsi=308574000&header=true

I was talking to a friend of mine last night who works on the terminal,he said they were setting up to take a super tanker on the SPM (over 250,000 tons).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Nice, have a look here for a clip from the old days

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Nice, have a look here for a clip from the old days

Coincidentally launched on this day (27th) 44 years ago

http://www.aukevisser.nl/supertankers/id60.htm

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Coincidentally launched on this day (27th) 44 years ago

http://www.aukevisser.nl/supertankers/id60.htm

Feck I am old, least I lasted longer than she did

• Advertisement

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/shipdetails.aspx?mmsi=309438000&header=true

Entering Bantry Bay this morning (busy hereabouts)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,538 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

The Celtic Voyager is having fun off the south coast, it seems to be there a few days now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Isle of Inishmore and Stena Europe both off Hook Head at the moment. Must'nt be able to get into Rosslare due to high winds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

roundymac wrote: »
    Isle of Inishmore and Stena Europe both off Hook Head at the moment. Must'nt be able to get into Rosslare due to high winds.

I noticed that. I was also told that they broke their mooring chains when attempting to dock? Thats what my mother said she heard on the radio. Don't know if there is any truth in it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

cocoshovel wrote: »
    I noticed that. I was also told that they broke their mooring chains when attempting to dock? Thats what my mother said she heard on the radio. Don't know if there is any truth in it though.

There was a lot of talk this morning about the two ships going to Dublin to discharge alright. For my own sake thank god they didn't, last time i'd to deal with a boat load of rerouted passengers who were at sea over 10 hours it was a case of crash helmets required. At this point the two ships have still to get in and now the Oscar Wilde is coming in to join the fun. They could all be going to Dublin yet.

• Advertisement

Looks like the ISLE OF INISHMORE is going in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

Looks like the ISLE OF INISHMORE is going in

The Inishmore got in alright but now it looks as if the Oscar Wilde is going to be stuck out there for a while. Still the Stena Europe is out there going nowhere. Wouldn't you love to be a fly on the wall on that ship at the moment.

seanmacc wrote: »
    The Inishmore got in alright but now it looks as if the Oscar Wilde is going to be stuck out there for a while. Still the Stena Europe is out there going nowhere. Wouldn't you love to be a fly on the wall on that ship at the moment.

I would say the atmosphere is a bit ripe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Winds seem to dying down inland, or at least thats what I think. How long do you think it can stay out there before things start getting a bit dangerous?

Stena Europe now out for 12 hours and counting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

Stena Europe now out for 12 hours and counting

the track looks fairly mad, it looks like it went right beside the dock at 7am then went back out, then back in just in the last while now its heading back out again:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Ceb

Stena europe is finally in, she made an attempt just before eleven on berth 4 (closest to land), looked promising but was caught at the last moment by serious gales and ran the risk of being grounded so she gave it the beans and headed back out to avoid trouble, shortly after 9pm oscar wilde made a wilde attempt at coming in at a crazy angle and made some contact with the pier, nothing to write home about but again something that wasnt meant to happen, here are two pics taken a few minutes after that happened, after some time she did get in safely

DSC03702.jpg

DSC03703.jpg

and the europe high tailing it after her failed attempt

DSC03707.jpg

I see the Hemland has moved to Mahon in Cork.

Yes Mahon Point shopping centre by the look of things.

That's dedication, re-stocking the fishmongers directly...........:D

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

mp22 wrote: »

Parked up for the night in the driveway in tramore now by the looks of it :D

Search and Rescue (12CGR11?) Just a few miles off Union Hall at the moment

HMS Mersey must be making a visit to Cork. She's Anchored just outside.
    LE Aisling and Le Niamh are showing up in Harbour aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Dublin SAR helio heading out towards possible rendezvous with Celtic Voyager. That direction anyway.

Even though the AIS shows her anchored in bantry bay she has moved up to the SPM this evening.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 276 ✭✭Rocky Bay

There is a tanker coming up to the SPM in Bantry bay now.
    Hello, I am only discovering this thread today and I am on a "sickie" from work! Just wondering what SPM stands for? Does anybody remember/know what happened to the "Bantry Bay" and "Dingle Bay"? The 2 of them were assigned to Bantry for many years I believe though I could be wrong about that. They were owned by Irish Tugs out of Cobh and IIRC their "cable" address was:
    Irish Tugs
    Atlantic Quay
    Cobh, Co. Cork
    Somewhere I have an old edition of Business and Finance with an ad. from Irish Tugs. The last time I saw one of them, the Dingle Bay, it was moored or docked at Veromne some 25 or 30 years ago. I live/work in NYC. One of the first things I do when I get in to work is "put the computer on" and tune into AIS to see what is going on in Cork Harbour and what is moving off the south coast.

• Advertisement

Single point mooring afaik. It's a buoy the the vessels moor to and discharge their cargo through it. Irish tugs closed their operation in Cobh when they lost the contract for the refinery at Whitegate, some of their tugs were laid up at the Cork Dockyard (formally Verolme). There was a saga with them, the crews that were to take them to the West Indies were abandoned in Cork when the buyer went out of business and they had to be repatriated by local help and the seamans union.

Advertisement