Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Turning colder?.....

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

i read today, that we may get sleet or snow next week, is that true?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

From what I've read in this thread it doesnt look like we'll get any, maybe sleet in the Donegal mountains and a few other areas but the Scottish Highlands seems to be the only place with a decent chance of snow

Still, promising to even be discussing the possibility when we're still in mid October

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

18Z GFS has reintroduced a risk of wintry showers for next week.

Don't worry I won't post the charts as the 0Z will probably be a downgrade. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

The 7:55am forecast on radio1 by Met Eireann talked about wintry showers on Northern hills next week - around Tuesday.

Pity Owenc isn't around, he could tell us if they get one foot of snow next week around Coleraine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

It's kind of pointless looking for snow at this satge because anything that falls will be long gone by 10am in the day it falls.

We should just wait for another 2 months and then look for our snow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Outlook

HEADLINE : Outlook is for changeable weather and it will get progressive colder during the early days of next week. SUNDAY NIGHT: Many areas dry on Sunday night but some showers at times in northern and western parts. MONDAY: Bright and breezy on Monday with showers becoming fairly widespread during the day and some will be heavy in parts of Connaught and Ulster. Afternoon temperatures of 11 to 14 degrees. Showers will become mainly confined to western and northern areas on Monday night. TUESDAY: will be a much colder day with showers becoming widespread again and some will be heavy or of hail or possibly sleet on northern hills. Afternoon highs of 8 to 12 degrees in a blustery northerly wind. Very cold on Tuesday night with temperatures falling below zero in some inland places with a significant sharp frost. WEDNESDAY: Just as cold on Wednesday also but winds will be lighter and many areas will be drier as showers should be mainly in northern and northwestern parts. Cold again on Wednesday night with some frost.

:D

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/

We might not be building snowmen next week but it looks like we will be getting a teaser trailer for the winter ahead at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Might get a bit around here afterall then, obviously it'll melt early but still, be nice to see in mid October

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

ok then. scarf out, hat out, gloves out. i'm sorted. bring it on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Significant frost and sleet , yes my friends met eireann has that on its website and its only mid october oh yeah :D

TUESDAY: will be a much colder day with showers becoming widespread again and some will be heavy or of hail or possibly sleet on northern hills. Afternoon highs of 8 to 12 degrees in a blustery northerly wind. Very cold on Tuesday night with temperatures falling below zero in some inland places with a significant sharp frost. WEDNESDAY: Just as cold on Wednesday also but winds will be lighter and many areas will be drier as showers should be mainly in northern and northwestern parts. Cold again on Wednesday night with some frost.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Pangea wrote: »
    Significant frost and sleet , yes my friends met eireann has that on its website and its only mid october oh yeah :D

TUESDAY: will be a much colder day with showers becoming widespread again and some will be heavy or of hail or possibly sleet on northern hills. Afternoon highs of 8 to 12 degrees in a blustery northerly wind. Very cold on Tuesday night with temperatures falling below zero in some inland places with a significant sharp frost. WEDNESDAY: Just as cold on Wednesday also but winds will be lighter and many areas will be drier as showers should be mainly in northern and northwestern parts. Cold again on Wednesday night with some frost.

The arrival of the term Sleet! We are very near.

Freezing night here in Dublin, almost reaching 1c.

Looks like settled weather will continue for a while with perhaps an incursion of showery wintry showers later next week!

:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Welcome back from reverse hibernation WC! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Just FYI, the BBC's Monthly outlok is posted below...

Published at 10:00, 18 October
    (Next update at 10:00, 25 October)
    Written by Rob McElwee
    Summary

Cold start with no Indian Summer in sight

At first we draw in some Arctic air and snow showers in Scotland. Gradually the wind backs around through westnorthwesterly to southwesterly over the following three weeks.
    None of that allows any significant warmth but should bring a lot of sunshine.
    Wind and rain are normally the watchwords of autumn but it looks like the northwest of the UK will be the focus of most of the rain. We'll none of us escape the breeze and at least some showers.
    Monday 18 October 2010 to Sunday 24 October 2010
    Arctic chill. Briefly.

As pressure rises in the Atlantic and falls in Scandinavia, we in the UK are between the two: We suffer the consequence of a northerly wind which brings air from beyond the Arctic Circle.
    This cold air will flood the whole of the UK during Tuesday and Wednesday leaving white-topped Scottish hills and another widespread inland frost on Tuesday night.
    Daytime temperatures will drop to single figures even before you think about windchill. Hard frosts at night will be avoided as the wind will be generally brisk.
    By the end of the week, the wind will back to a northwesterly, cutting off any further temperature drop and bringing rain into Scotland and Northern Ireland.
    Monday 25 October 2010 to Sunday 31 October 2010
    Not as cold

Confidence in the forecast is medium to low but a consistent signal is higher than average rainfall in Northern Ireland. This suggests a westnorthwesterly wind, bearing rain showers. The signal for rain in southwest Britain is lower than average, supporting this idea.
    Other consequences of that weather set-up are quite a lot of sunshine in most areas and temperatures rising from last week's levels.
    Sunday 31 October 2010 to Saturday 13 November 2010
    Wet and windy Halloween?

The wind completes its journey back to a southwesterly. The implication of that is that a low pressure centre exists to the west of the UK.
    Temperatures ought not to surprise, rain should be concentrated in the west and southwest and sunshine should show most in the east and in Scotland.
    Next week

It's November. Expect cold, quiet, grey and damp conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

nat01_weather.png?1627

Look look! .... The all gracious symbol Is baaaaack! Ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

Can I ask the experts in here....

What is the realistic weather forecast for this Wednesday 20 OCT please?

I have to do lots of tree planting and have only the one day to do it.

I think you lot are usually more accurate than the TV news weather.

Thanks a million.

Apologies if I'm not supposed to ask that kind of thing in here? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

foxinsox wrote: »
    What is the realistic weather forecast for this Wednesday 20 OCT please?

I'm no expert but this coming Wed is looking like it wil be a bright, if cool day as a ridge extends in from the west, although with maybe the odd shower, esp in the north and towards the coast.

Rainfall chart for Wed afternoon:

131437.gif

Looks like there could be a pep up in shower activity towards the evening a minor trough breaks through from the NW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

I'm no expert but this coming Wed is looking like it wil be a bright, if cool day as a ridge extends in from the west, although with maybe the odd shower, esp in the north and towards the coast.

Great thanks...

I should have said I'm in Carlow... the sunny south east :rolleyes: supposedly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

foxinsox wrote: »
    Great thanks...

I should have said I'm in Carlow... the sunny south east :rolleyes: supposedly!

Ah, you should be ok so, but as with all forecasts, it is best to keep updated right up to the day. M.T Cranium's daily forecast thread 'stickied' at the top of this forum should keep you in tune as to what is happening with the weather as it happens. :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=68559619#post68559619

Advertisement