Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Muslims lick coronavirus infected shrines...and loving it!

This will not work out well for Iran!

This confirms my suspicion all along....

islam the religion of death wishers.

Not capable of having logical thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Mr.S wrote: »
    This is a really common scene on a hospital ward.

Yeah could be nothing but it was taken Thursday in the Mater that's all i know.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Why not release specifics about the case? What hospital are they in? When did they get back from Italy? What condition are they in? What age are they? This would be useful info

It's madness. In South Korea they send out a text to everyone in the area when there is a new case saying where it was confirmed and where that person has been for the past 24 -48 hrs so people can get tested. Any of these places are shut down and sterilized.

This weekend they advised the whole country to stay indoors. Many countries have banned travel in and out. For context on the numbers, the German health minister stated they were at a beginning of an epidemic... after 20 confirmed cases. He accepted it couldn't be contained that early.

'In the east' ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

I didn't have to experience their health system but here are some world rankings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Health_Organization_ranking_of_health_systems_in_2000#Ranking

Ireland 19th best. Not bad at all to be fair. Better than the likes of Sweden and Switzerland. Thats actually impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

DellyBelly wrote: »
    That is scary if that's the case. Why woukd they be suppressing it do you think?

I presume they wanted to do the test again to confirm, also don’t want to incite panic in general public, before contact tracing the individuals exact movements and encounters.
    Irish healthcare system is not equipped for this. HSE is at breaking point without 1000 extra people showing up with a cough.
    HSE will minimize testing and hope that 80% of people who catch it will be fine or asymptomatic and that the 20% who do get it will eventually present. But if they announce corona is disseminated through Ireland 100% of people with coughs will start turning up to EDs spreading it more and looking for treatment (of which there is none for mild disease)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,246 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

There's a small cohort of people here continually posting crap and rumours and then going around thanking each others posts

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,286 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Absolutely.
    Irish government are suppressing information.
    I work as a healthcare worker. I posted on Thursday that there was a confirmed case in the mater hospital. Strange it didn’t get released to the public until 9pm Saturday night.
    Cut out the conspiracy talk. You are no different from any other poster in this thread and you are not a reliable source.

Any questions PM me - do not respond to this warning in-thread

• Registered Users Posts: 10,036 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

the tinfoil hats are out in force now

How?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

old_aussie wrote: »

In fairness it's not just Islam anyone who believes in any religion is not exactly logical.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,229 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

I presume they wanted to do the test again to confirm, also don’t want to incite panic in general public, before contact tracing the individuals exact movements and encounters.
    Irish healthcare system is not equipped for this. HSE is at breaking point without 1000 extra people showing up with a cough.
    HSE will minimize testing and hope that 80% of people who catch it will be fine or asymptomatic and that the 20% who do get it will eventually present. But if they announce corona is disseminated through Ireland 100% of people with coughs will start turning up to EDs spreading it more and looking for treatment (of which there is none for mild disease)

You are actively adding to this Scaremongering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

One thing worth noting that the confirmation of our first southern Covid 19 patient was released on Saturday night at around 9 so that it won't get in the Sunday papers unless they manage to squeeze it in their second editions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

They stated that they had contacted people first before announcing it today. So people that were beside this person etc already know.

One man's suppressing information is another man's giving people warning.

If someone was on a flight from Milan then they should be alert to the possibility of picking up this pox even in the absence or timing of this announcement.

tom1ie wrote: »
    How?

the bullsh1t conspiracy theories...

skimpydoo wrote: »
    One thing worth noting that it was released on Saturday night at around 9 so that it won't get in the Sunday papers unless they manage to squeeze it in their second editions.

so what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

I won’t be providing information on this thread to prove my credentials due to concern for doxing and how it may effect my employment , mod can pm me privately if they feel necessary.

I think this poster seems genuine and the account is over two years old.

Drip feeding out bad news on a Saturday evening not to cause panic and chatter in work sound like something the HSE might do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭citysights

From the looks of the schools that went on trips around the infected areas of northern Italy, most arrived home last week. Reports of incubation were up to a max of 14 days (but small % even higher reported). If Italy can go from 14 cases on to over 1000 in 8 days, I think things here will look very different by Sunday next week, unless we can slow the spread similar to the UK. It's only buying us some time at this stage, we will get more cases and as Dr John Campbell has said recently, it will come in waves.

But why do we have to look at a worst case scenario. Uk has 23 cases to date( just checked) so maybe if we can stop the spread we won’t end up like Italy. If we can contain it which looks like what UK have done. Other countries in Europe too have low numbers of cases also. Hopefully this will be us as well low numbers and taking all steps to stop the spread. Maybe I’m being too optimistic but hope we can.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

so what?

it'll be yesterday's news by monday

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Impressive maths... But you assumed 50% of cases undetected thus halving the quoted death rates.

However the WHO China mission report says... "Asymptomatic infection has been reported, but the majority of the relatively rare cases who are asymptomatic on the date of identification/report went on to develop disease. The proportion of truly asymptomatic infections is unclear but appears to be relatively rare and does not appear to be a major driver of transmission."

Dr Bruce Aylward the WHO expert said in his news conference that there is NO rest of the iceberg, the figures from China are real.

https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/who-china-joint-mission-on-covid-19-final-report.pdf

He may be an expert but he is making a judgment call on the information presented to him by the Chinese authorities. These are the same Chinese authorities who deny any large scale detention of the Uighur population despite massive evidence to the contrary.
    What is the official Chinese figure, 40,000 extra health care workers to treat 80,000 infected? You won’t get that staff ratio in any Irish ICU.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

old_aussie wrote: »

Looks like a case of natural selection to me...

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Osborne

I won’t be providing information on this thread to prove my credentials due to concern for doxing and how it may effect my employment , mod can pm me privately if they feel necessary.

Stop posting if you're not going to provide further info.

What's stopping any of us posting "inside information" that we can't back up otherwise? It isn't helping and you're not a source we can trust if we only have your word to go by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

You are actively adding to this Scaremongering.

I answered the person’s question with my personal opinion.

I think this poster seems genuine and the account is over two years old.

Drip feeding out bad news on a Saturday evening not to cause panic and chatter in work sound like something the HSE might do.

or maybe they were waiting on test results and contacting people involved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

Does anybody know which hospital the patient zero in Ireland is in?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Just goes to show not everything going around on Whatapp is BS

• Registered Users Posts: 23,446 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

tillyfilly wrote: »
    Does anybody know which hospital the patient zero in Ireland is in?
    no, but plenty on here will make it up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

My asthma is quite bad, would I be more affected by the virus than the average citizen? If I don't sit my exams, it will set me back almost a year, would I be stupid not to sit them when there has only been two cases confirmed in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Unbelievable that they won't warn people of the place this man is from, and his travel route. How long before this County is put on lockdown?
    Where is he from?

Stop fear-mongering.

Just stay out of the east of Ireland like the rest of us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

I did post on Wednesday saying there was something happening in the mater. Friend works there
    Wonder if this is that person

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement