Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Help with a name

Options
  • 19-06-2016 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

I saw this street sign in Dublin recently, with two forms of the same name

https://i.imgur.com/Z8LTC18.jpg

One with an I and one without.

Is one wrong, are there different ways to spell it depending on context?

What is the correct translation of Dillon in Irish?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Dub63 wrote: »
    I saw this street sign in Dublin recently, with two forms of the same name

https://i.imgur.com/Z8LTC18.jpg

One with an I and one without.

Is one wrong, are there different ways to spell it depending on context?

What is the correct translation of Dillon in Irish?

Thanks

Officially, even though it would seem more logical for adjacent streets with the same English name to be named after the same person or family, both those signs should be:

John Dillon Street: Sráid Sheáin Diolúin
    Dillon Place South: Plás an Diolúnaigh Theas

Authoritive Source: www.logainm.ie (Irish Place-names Commission)

Dillon in Irish can be several surnames but the Hiberno-Norman family in Westmeath is usually Díolún.
    See here for more

The Dillons= Na Diolúnaigh (if they'really the Norman family above)

When Díolún is in the genitive case ("of") an i is indeed put between the ú and n. E.g. Sráid Sheáin Diolúin = street of Seán Díolún. Although it's not as common as Diolún derives from a 'de' place-name originally, you will see somebody called, say, Seán Ó Díolúin (Seán, descendant of Diolún). For examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Dub63

gaiscioch wrote: »
    Officially, even though it would seem more logical for adjacent streets with the same English name to be named after the same person or family, both those signs should be:

John Dillon Street: Sráid Sheáin Diolúin
    Dillon Place South: Plás an Diolúnaigh Theas

Authoritive Source: www.logainm.ie (Irish Place-names Commission)

Dillon in Irish can be several surnames but the Hiberno-Norman family in Westmeath is usually Díolún.
    See here for more

The Dillons= Na Diolúnaigh (if they'really the Norman family above)

When Díolún is in the genitive case ("of") an i is indeed put between the ú and n. E.g. Sráid Sheáin Diolúin = street of Seán Díolún. Although it's not as common as Diolún derives from a 'de' place-name originally, you will see somebody called, say, Seán Ó Díolúin (Seán, descendant of Diolún). For examples.

Thanks, that's a great answer, cleared it up for me.

Advertisement