Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

02-01-2017, 11:52   #61
GlennaMaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablelocks View Post
do you have a link to that - can't see it mentioned on the sub page of the irish times?
2nd result on Google... https://www.irishtimes.com/student-hub/signup
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
02-01-2017, 15:04   #62
harr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glebee View Post
I had it for a few months on the cheap last year and it was excellent. Completely different than the app. If I could find a way to get the sunday Times along with the weekly epapers I might resub. Cant seem to see the Sunday epaper on offer, only the Sunday roundup of the weeks events.
I get the Sunday e paper no problem with all the mags...not sure if it's a different offer I picked up ..I taught it would come with all additions automatically ...
02-01-2017, 16:52   #63
Glebee

Quote:
Originally Posted by harr View Post
I get the Sunday e paper no problem with all the mags...not sure if it's a different offer I picked up ..I taught it would come with all additions automatically ...
Defo did not come with mine last year, Sunday was just a wrap up of the week previous, no epaper. Dont know the reason?
02-01-2017, 17:18   #64
ablelocks

Quote:
Defo did not come with mine last year, Sunday was just a wrap up of the week previous, no epaper. Dont know the reason?
Quote:
Some Times are Irish, Some Times are not. The Sunday Times isn't published by the Irish Times. The Irish Times doesn't publish a Sunday edition. But the Sunday Times is published by The Times, which also does a daily Times Monday to Saturday. But that Times is also different to the Irish Times, which also only publishes Monday to Saturday.
02-01-2017, 17:22   #65
_Whimsical_

Quote:
I'm fairly sure that the Sunday Times and the Irish Times are two different operations. The Sunday Times is a Sunday version of the UK Times paper and there is an Irish version of that that we get in the shop. You sign up with a completely different company for the Sunday Times access. They had a free month trial running last year and when I went to cancel after it they offered me 3 more months for free. Maybe they'd give you a free trial of you contacted the company. Might be worth a shot!
Advertisement
02-01-2017, 17:34   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablelocks View Post
Some Times are Irish, Some Times are not. The Sunday Times isn't published by the Irish Times. The Irish Times doesn't publish a Sunday edition. But the Sunday Times is published by The Times, which also does a daily Times Monday to Saturday. But that Times is also different to the Irish Times, which also only publishes Monday to Saturday.
Quite strange that someone who was saying how excellent the Irish Times subscription is was not aware of this very basic fact.
02-01-2017, 19:22   #67
_Whimsical_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nesser View Post
Quite strange that someone who was saying how excellent the Irish Times subscription is was not aware of this very basic fact.
I think it's a mistake an awful lot of people make actually, easily done given the name..
02-01-2017, 19:39   #68
harr

My sub is the times (Irish edition) not the Irish times ...when I open app it's says the times and the Sunday times and when I down load the daily epaper it's the times (Irish edition) it has both Irish and U.K. Content ...

The free App people are talking about is the Irish Times
02-01-2017, 19:48   #69

Quote:
My sub is the times (Irish edition) not the Irish times ...when I open app it's says the times and the Sunday times and when I down load the daily epaper it's the times (Irish edition) it has both Irish and U.K. Content ...

The free App people are talking about is the Irish Times
Ah right. You do realize that this is a thread discussing why people want to pay €96 a year for online subscription to Irish Times articles when they are already available for free. The epaper you are extolling is for the UK Times. These articles are also available for free online.

Charging for online news is a failed business model. Practically all papers that have tried it gave gone back to releasing articles for free with revenue coming from ads embedded in articles.

Which is why I find the enthusiasm for paying for online content by some on this thread so puzzling
Advertisement
02-01-2017, 19:54   #70
tatranska

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nesser View Post
Ah right. You do realize that this is a thread discussing why people want to pay €96 a year for online subscription to Irish Times articles when they are already available for free. The epaper you are extolling is for the UK Times. These articles are also available for free online.

Charging for online news is a failed business model. Practically all papers that have tried it gave gone back to releasing articles for free with revenue coming from ads embedded in articles.

Which is why I find the enthusiasm for paying for online content by some on this thread so puzzling
I have the epaper app on my phone. It's definitely the Irish Times!
At less than a cup of coffee a week, it's a bargain .
Thanks from:
02-01-2017, 19:56   #71

Quote:
It's not free... there is a huge difference between the free app and the actual e-papers the e-paper is exactly the same as the physical paper you purchase in shop including all magazines and sports highlights which can be watched from a tab in the sports section... this is a very good deal the Sunday paper is 3 quid alone...and I find the sports coverage excellent...with the E paper you have to download the content each morning with a different app
Yes but harr has a completely different app.
02-01-2017, 19:59   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatranska View Post
At less than a cup of coffee a week, it's a bargain .
You do realize that is a phrase the charity industry use to try to persuade people that they aren't really paying that much. How much a second does it cost you?
02-01-2017, 20:07   #73
ablelocks

the Irish Times " free app" is ltd to a certain number of articles so is not the full version.

the Irish Times subscription is to multiple devices and includes an e-paper - this is why this offer posted by the op is very good value. You get the full Irish Times coverage for approx 33c per day, incl. all supplements and whatever else is included in the subscription.

ditto the (UK) Times and the Sunday Times - 5 euro a week for full access to all their content. Afaik, the Times online content is behind a paywall - you cannot get any of it for free.

I will gladly pay for content from either of these sources - the quality is very high, the range is broad and I can generally trust that the news they report is researched, validated and true. Other sources of news, not so much.

And there are very few ads, at least in the Times. I'm not sure about the Irish Times yet. Anytime I come across "free news" content online, there are ads, clickbait articles for more "news" which directs to more ads.

Free is never free - there is a cost.
02-01-2017, 20:17   #74
Arthur Daley

What is the archive like on this subscription? Has anyone tried the archive section as that isn't freely available as far as I know

Is it fairly comprehensive like front pages for a given date or is it high level, selective and thrown into the mix as a 'feature' but of little use?
02-01-2017, 20:19   #75
nc6000

I'm starting to wonder why people bother posting bargains or offers on here if these are the responses they get.

Thanks OP, I've signed up. The digital version of the paper works very well on my tablet and even though there are ways around having to subscribe and other free news sites I think The Irish Times could do with some support otherwise (as someone else pointed out) we aren't left with much in the line of decent newspapers.
(4) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion