Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

01-01-2017, 18:13   #46
tatranska

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin88 View Post
To be clear, the half price offer seems to be €8 per month for 12 months (i.e. 96 euro in total) rather than €8 for the full 12 months.
My bad..I missed the small print

Still at €2 a week it's still a deal. I'd normally buy one or 2 newspapers a week.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
01-01-2017, 18:15   #47
VG31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nesser View Post
Still puzzled as to why people on this thread consider paying €96 for something that is available free to be a "bargain" And saying stuff like "But it's not unlimited if I don't pay €96 " (when it kinda is and they would never use the theoretical limit anyway)
To be frank I think they're suckers.
The main advantage of a subscription is that you get the e-paper.
01-01-2017, 18:30   #48

Quote:
Still puzzled as to why people on this thread consider paying €96 for something that is available free to be a "bargain" And saying stuff like "But it's not unlimited if I don't pay €96 " (when it kinda is and they would never use the theoretical limit anyway)
It is limited if it is 'free'. Some people a newspaper cover to cover. If you read all the business articles for a day, you have used up your weekly allowance.

If people want quality journalism, you are going to have to pay for it. Other we will only be left with the likes of thejournal.ie or a paper owned by a certain billionaire with everything robbed off another paper or heavily edited to suit the 'shareholders values'. I personally think supporting an independent news source for €8 per month is a bargain. Otherwise we might be left with no independent newspapers
01-01-2017, 18:37   #49
yoppy
Banned

So have they reported anything anybody else didn't this year?
01-01-2017, 18:40   #50
longshanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoppy View Post
This year is only a day old, give them a chance.
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
01-01-2017, 18:50   #51
_Whimsical_

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoppy View Post
It's not always about the exact story that's reported, they tend to have much better analysis of social and political issues than other papers. The debate that's spawned from that very often sets the news agenda as much as the "breaking headlines". I think most people who read the IT look to it for that more than for novel news stories.
(2) thanks from:
01-01-2017, 18:54   #52
harr

Quote:
It's not free... there is a huge difference between the free app and the actual e-papers the e-paper is exactly the same as the physical paper you purchase in shop including all magazines and sports highlights which can be watched from a tab in the sports section... this is a very good deal the Sunday paper is 3 quid alone...and I find the sports coverage excellent...with the E paper you have to download the content each morning with a different app
(2) thanks from:
01-01-2017, 19:01   #53
TerrorFirmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by harr View Post
It's not free... there is a huge difference between the free app and the actual e-papers the e-paper is exactly the same as the physical paper you purchase in shop including all magazines and sports highlights which can be watched from a tab in the sports section... this is a very good deal the Sunday paper is 3 quid alone...and I find the sports coverage excellent...with the E paper you have to download the content each morning with a different app
I was about to post this same thing, I can't believe people can't see the difference. The app versions of the Irish Times, Independent, etc are nowhere near the same as the digital versions.
(2) thanks from:
01-01-2017, 19:02   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Whimsical_ View Post
It's not always about the exact story that's reported, they tend to have much better analysis of social and political issues than other papers. The debate that's spawned from that very often sets the news agenda as much as the "breaking headlines". I think most people who read the IT look to it for that more than for novel news stories.
The debate and trending sections are available on the free app.
Advertisement
01-01-2017, 20:48   #55
Johnny_Fontane

I get the saturday paper delivered and have epaper access. Its absolutely fantastic. Until someone shows you the actual epaper on a tablet/phone, you wont realise how good it is.
(4) thanks from:
01-01-2017, 23:38   #56
Livefornow

Site says "Voucher valid until June 30th 2017"

Might look at taking this up in June as thats when my sub to english Times runs out. E-Paper is the best way to read a paper when travelling by Plane or Train or Bus.
02-01-2017, 00:20   #57
GlennaMaddy

Sub is free for students or if you still have your college email address
02-01-2017, 11:23   #58
ablelocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennaMaddy View Post
Sub is free for students or if you still have your college email address
do you have a link to that - can't see it mentioned on the sub page of the irish times?
02-01-2017, 11:35   #59
Glebee

I had it for a few months on the cheap last year and it was excellent. Completely different than the app. If I could find a way to get the sunday Times along with the weekly epapers I might resub. Cant seem to see the Sunday epaper on offer, only the Sunday roundup of the weeks events.
02-01-2017, 11:47   #60
Sir Oxman

Subbed.
thanks OP

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size