Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

20-02-2014, 13:26   #16
leck

Quote:
Originally Posted by spank_inferno View Post
I have one but am finding we are hardly using it.

I'd love if RTE or BBC iPlayer were available for it.
BBC iPlayer will work with Hola (install as Chrome extension) and Chromecast.

I have a Chromecast and a HuluPlus subscription but my internet speed here with Sky is too slow for proper streaming. This is aggravating.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
24-02-2014, 20:35   #17
lbj666

Have people received their yet, wanna double check to see if everything is legit
25-02-2014, 18:11   #18
Redsoxfan

Arrived this evening and I installed it. Went to cast a movie from Plex app on my phone to the TV where I have the Chromecast installed and I got a message to say that this option is currently only available to Plex Pass subscribers - is there any way around this at present?
25-02-2014, 18:18   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsoxfan View Post
Arrived this evening and I installed it. Went to cast a movie from Plex app on my phone to the TV where I have the Chromecast installed and I got a message to say that this option is currently only available to Plex Pass subscribers - is there any way around this at present?
Are you connected to a VPN?
25-02-2014, 20:45   #20
Redsoxfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by spank_inferno View Post
Are you connected to a VPN?
No, well, connected to UPC home network on which Plex server also resides.

From reading, Plex is still in 'Pilot' and so only available if you have Plex Pass. Plex are saying that us non-subscribers will have access eventually.

I should point out for anyone waiting that the plug I received seems to be a European model. No big deal as I have other micro USB chargers. And I'm not even sure if you need to use mains power (vs USB from TV) but they seem to recommend.
Advertisement
26-02-2014, 09:26   #21
mickotoole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsoxfan View Post
No, well, connected to UPC home network on which Plex server also resides.

From reading, Plex is still in 'Pilot' and so only available if you have Plex Pass. Plex are saying that us non-subscribers will have access eventually.

I should point out for anyone waiting that the plug I received seems to be a European model. No big deal as I have other micro USB chargers. And I'm not even sure if you need to use mains power (vs USB from TV) but they seem to recommend.
Plex Android app got an update last night, apparently Chromecast compatibility has been added with this update
26-02-2014, 09:45   #22
captain_boycott

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickotoole View Post
Plex Android app got an update last night, apparently Chromecast compatibility has been added with this update
Still requires a plex pass.

I use bubble upnp, it just got chromecast support & combined with It's free media server will transcode and play almost anything you throw at it.
26-02-2014, 10:54   #23
groom

I really don't know what I'm doing with Plex but I have been streaming all formats from laptop with Plex Media Server to CC with it. I'm not paying for anything.
26-02-2014, 11:19   #24
Redsoxfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by groom View Post
I really don't know what I'm doing with Plex but I have been streaming all formats from laptop with Plex Media Server to CC with it. I'm not paying for anything.
Not an option for me to stream directly from the server or from my laptop so I am trying to cast what's playing on my phone or tablet via the Plex app.

Anyway, I'll bide my time until they relase the casting option via the app for the rest of us.
Advertisement
27-02-2014, 11:15   #25
Thargor

Is there no VLC or Media Player Classic type application yet that I can just click on a film or tv ep, avi, mp4 or mkv, and just say "Cast This" and watch it on the Chromecast on the tv? I dont mean playing it in a Chrome tab and casting that in super-stutter mode, I mean proper casting like Youtube etc...
27-02-2014, 11:42   #26
groom

There are players that will play local media
e.g. AllCast, LocalCast

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromec...nd_mobile_apps
(2) thanks from:
27-02-2014, 12:41   #27
Thargor

Are they using all the Chromecasts resourses or just workarounds though? Apps like those were being reccomended before the SDK was released and they were all basically broken.
27-02-2014, 13:32   #28
kirkfx

Did everybody else's chromecasts get delivered in amazon packaging, I was very confused when I got it out of my parcel motel!?
27-02-2014, 17:01   #29
GrumPy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thargor View Post
Are they using all the Chromecasts resourses or just workarounds though? Apps like those were being reccomended before the SDK was released and they were all basically broken.

The SDK has been released a few weeks now, and alot of apps now have/ soon will have antive support.
27-02-2014, 17:08   #30
lemon_remon

The actual UK version of the chromecast is coming out in a few weeks so you'd probably be better to wait for that.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion