Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

TV programmes that have run their course

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭dubrov

I used to agree about the Late Late having run its course. But now I'm not so sure. It's a good forum for regular people to tell their story in a relaxed environment and be heard by a good portion of the population. I don't know where else on television that happens. There's a good mix of celebrities and topical and human interest stories with a couple of musical numbers thrown in. A unique blend. I'm not Tubridys biggest fan, but he's definitely improved over the last couple of seasons and it hasn't become the stale format of shows such as Norton and Ross on the English channels or any number of shows on US television.

I think I disagree with every single point in that post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭FHFM50

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    ....and he's an absolute ar$ehole, a big bully

Surely he'll be next to have women call him out for his abusiveness after the guy who made Buffy was called out for his behavior.

Then again Gordon's behavior could all be an act for the cameras

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

The Angelus - especially on the national broadcaster of what purports to be a modern secular state.

I'd keep it just to piss off the crowd that want it banned

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

FHFM50 wrote: »
    Surely he'll be next to have women call him out for his abusiveness after the guy who made Buffy was called out for his behavior.

Then again Gordon's behavior could all be an act for the cameras

possibly but i suspect not

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

The Simpson is the obvious choice.

WWE has been crap since 2001 and keeps declining every year. I don't think it should cancel its programming but Vince McMahon is out of touch should retire.

The Jerry Springer Show has been ****e since the 90s. I remember seeing midgets on unicycles just randomly peddling across the stage. They weren't guests, they were just there to add to the wackiness of the show. It was only put out of its misery two years ago.
    How old were you in 2001 and how old are you now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Greenlights16

100000000000x The Late Late Show

Mrs Browns Boys and that insufferable imp Brendan O’Carroll.

Any talent show - BGT/IGT, the voice, X factor

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Greenlights16

Strumms wrote: »
    I’m not sure the program or format has run its course...

Tubridy on the other hand probably, or definitely. He’s presented it for the guts of 12 years. I’ve nothing personal against the fella but I just don’t find him as being very good really, he’s poor in fact.. I don’t think he has the personality, charisma or ultimately the gravitas to really do a very good job. He seems to struggle to ‘connect’ with his guests on the same level as Gay and actually Pat too. Pat wasn’t great but he had a certain intelligence, likability and warmth that Tubridy can’t seem to manage ... Tubridy, he’s determined not to offend anyone really and is just too wooden, too predictable too reliant on asking simple questions... “ so you grew up in mayo, what was that like ? “

Listen, it’s plain to see, the LLS is absolute doom and gloom. Graham Norton is a barrel of laughs compared with tubridy. They don’t mention the word C*vid on GNS once and if they do it’s a joke.

Tubridys lineup each week is so predictable , something along the lines of this :

-Begin by telling the nation how brave they are and how well we’ve done and remember our essential worker heroes
    - bring on doom and gloom guest number 1 - a cancer survivor or someone who lost a family member due to tragedy
    - bring on a member of government/ex RTE for a plug or to reinforce the narrative
    - virtual zoom with someone who SHOULD be interesting - but Ryan’s first question “how’s things there? Restrictions/bla bla bla and he sucks the fun out of them. Also asks the worst questions I’ve ever seen.
    - ****e music act or washed up musician
    - one more doom and gloom guest who has a disease or endured some kind of hardship

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

The Blacklist. I give up after season six. I like James Spade, but it just seems like flogging a dead horse.
    Imagine they will still go to ten seasons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Operation transformation, a group of skinny people laughing at fat people in their underwear,
    and last week they told a large chap to stop losing weight with a 34 waist,
    bizzare

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

EICVD wrote: »
    Beggars belief people actually class the Angelus as a program!

i never miss it, it fact if i'm out i record it....i just love counting the dongs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,731 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Operation transformation, a group of skinny people laughing at fat people in their underwear,
    and last week they told a large chap to stop losing weight with a 34 waist,
    bizzare

Ireland's fattest family.

Gordon Ramsay's restaurant makeover shows. It's just the same crap being regurgitated over and over again
    Wanderer78 wrote: »
    ....and he's an absolute ar$ehole, a big bully

yep, i think its disgraceful that someone like him is made into some sort of respectable celebrity ....what sort of example does that send ?

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭mikekerry

Dancing with the stars
    Strictly come dancing
    Late late show
    Pretty much any show on RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 15,731 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Any RTE "Wish.com" imitation of another network's format.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

Brooklyn 99 and Modern Family near the end.

More shows need to learn from Schitts Creek and end on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Hamachi wrote: »
    Well perhaps Ireland isn’t quite as secular as you deem it to be. You’ve decided that a huge proportion of the population is culturally catholic, you’ve determined that their participation in the sacraments lacks sincerity.

Newsflash; you don’t get to decide on behalf of several million people, the majority of whom continue to pay their TV license fee. If they were truly bothered by the presence of the Angelus, you can be sure that it would have been deprecated by now.

I’m not even religious, but I am bothered by somebody who feels that their view overrides the prevailing sentiment amongst their fellow citizens.

Ireland is officially a secular republic so in my opinion the state broadcaster should not be promoting religion.

It's very simple and nothing to do with what the majority of the population is.
    Also, if you look at how it came about and was pushed for by Bishop John McQuaid then I don't see how people can say it's not a religious event.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

branie2 wrote: »
    The Ellen DeGeneres Show

Thought that show was cancelled after the bullying accusations last summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Homelander

Simpsons is always the one that comes to mind. I don't buy into the whole "it was crap since Season 10", sure it went downhill, but there were moments of brilliance and some decent episodes long after that. Somewhere around season 15 or 16 it just got so bad it was barely even watchable, completely unrecognisable compared to older seasons.

There are other similar shows that have gone very downhill that still occasionally have great episodes (Family Guy or American Dad) or others that have managed to remain consistently amusing with continued moments of brilliance (South Park).

I've even used rankings to watch the "best" episodes of every Simpsons season over the past 10 years and I've found them all pretty rubbish, doing the same thing for Family Guy, American Dad and South Park, I've seen some great episodes, even if the overall seasons are pretty unremarkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Davy Fitz new one where he pretends to give a flying fcuk about youngsters with troubled lives, complete with the fake tears, soppy piano music at crucial heartstring- pulling moments, and a pledge that hes actually soft underneath it all.
    Its so insincere i could vomit. Hes a hard nosed businessman desperately looking for more exposure in Covid times so he cashes in on the current New Age craze of supporting mental health issues.
    The saddest thing? Most people will actually fall for his act. Shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Always sunny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

South Park has really run its course. i think around season 9 it was really good.

I think the South Park creators dont care if it carries on. They said they would still making them till the TV network cancels the show.

Im assuming Simpsons is still going because people still watch the show and is justified by the ratings. Who watches it.

Peep Show ran its course after about 4 seasons.

Curb your enthusiasm suprisingly is still very good. really hope there is a new series.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,804 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Homelander wrote: »
    Simpsons is always the one that comes to mind. I don't buy into the whole "it was crap since Season 10", sure it went downhill, but there were moments of brilliance and some decent episodes long after that. Somewhere around season 15 or 16 it just got so bad it was barely even watchable, completely unrecognisable compared to older seasons.

There are other similar shows that have gone very downhill that still occasionally have great episodes (Family Guy or American Dad) or others that have managed to remain consistently amusing with continued moments of brilliance (South Park).

I've even used rankings to watch the "best" episodes of every Simpsons season over the past 10 years and I've found them all pretty rubbish, doing the same thing for Family Guy, American Dad and South Park, I've seen some great episodes, even if the overall seasons are pretty unremarkable.

I think with the Simpsons they just ran out of ideas, decided to keep going. The mistake maybe was them becoming happy to amuse you rather then split your sides... was a time you’d see a new episode on a Sunday and on Monday some of your lunch talking about it with friends/colleagues...you’d also be rushing home from a day out trying to catch the new episode...I can’t remember the last time I even sat down to watch one.

Maybe they should have put the show on a two or three year hiatus...came back, new ideas, refreshed thinking... even the better new episodes, just seem a bit forced...

i could never ever understand the popularity of The Simpsons? found it mildly amusing at best

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭O'Neill

Never Mind the Buzzcocks once Amstell left.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,804 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

O'Neill wrote: »
    Never Mind the Buzzcocks once Amstell left.

They ended up with guest presenters, then that was augmented by guest captains... a sign of ‘well we can’t find anybody who is a good enough fit to do any of the jobs full time, available to do the job or just good enough so we’ll just stick in anybody who is available and doesn’t have another gig around the time of filming... it was a funny show that just went muck..

Strumms wrote: »
    , then that was augmented by guest captains... .

the one with Juliette Lewis was gas, its on youtube

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I think Brooklyn 999 had to end, in the year
    of Blm and constant random videos of police
    brutality it became impossible to make a sitcom
    about new York police officers
    I think it was a good show
    I think celebrity big brother could be good depending who was on it
    I do not think the Ellen show should be on
    the air considering the news that came out about how it's staff is treated
    Ellen's not so nice unless you happen to be a famous
    celebrity
    I think rte has to keep the late late show going as people still watch it and the toy show gets big ratings

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

[QUOTE=riclad;116305700]I think Brooklyn 999 had to end, in the year
    of Blm and constant random videos of police
    brutality it became impossible to make a sitcom
    about new York police officers
    I think it was a good show

I think celebrity big brother could be good depending who was on it
    I do not think the Ellen show should be on
    the air considering the news that came out about how it's staff is treated
    Ellen's not so nice unless you happen to be a famous
    celebrity
    I think rte has to keep the late late show going as people still watch it and the toy show gets big ratings[/QUOTE]

i disagree. b99 is needed now more than ever. its the only cop show that could tackle police brutality issues head on.
    they have great charicters to that in holt as an openly gay black police captain
    terry being a black sargent and the whole moo moo situation
    diaz etc
    all they had to do was make up some reason for captain holt to take over another precinct as well as the 99 . have some similar incident happen and holt is brought in to fix the mess and straighten out the precinct . he then uses this to show that he should be comishener and becomes the driving force behind reform of the whole nypd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭FHFM50

Im assuming Simpsons is still going because people still watch the show and is justified by the ratings. Who watches it.

Peep Show ran its course after about 4 seasons.

Curb your enthusiasm suprisingly is still very good. really hope there is a new series.

Mostly kids I'd say, or stoners.

I personally loved every season of Peep Show. That and Curb are my two favorite shows, along with Extras.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

FHFM50 wrote: »
    Mostly kids I'd say, or stoners.

South Park, and then 18 months later Futurama & Family Guy would have killed off The Simpsons for the stoners of the world...

Them all coming along coincided with the big decline in The Simpsons.

Advertisement