Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Captain Tom Moore - RIP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,141 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Was going to post a thread there actually.

Absolute champ he was. At least he got one last trip away before the end as well as his honors. Died surrounded by family as well.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭trashcan

He seemed a game out lad. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Be right back

He really was a positive figure over the last crappy year. Terrible that he died from Covid. May he rest in peace. I hope that the money he raised was put to good use.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,445 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

At least he got one last trip away before the end as well as his honors.

That trip is what appears to have killed him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Aw. Sorry to hear that.
    Obviously a wonderful man.

• Advertisement

The Nal wrote: »

Where did he go?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Swanning off to the Caribbean wasn't the wisest of decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭hynesie08

He caught pneumonia when he came back and caught covid in the hospital, if anything, staying NHS killed him....

Tyrone212 wrote: »

When you’re the ton you might as well, **** it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Maybe that's what he wanted to do and a hundred you are probably aware you don't have much time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

At 100, you grab every day.
    The family flew out in December before the UK government's strict rules on travel came into place with Sir Tom testing negative for Covid on his return.

A full life.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Tom

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,141 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Maybe that's what he wanted to do and a hundred you are probably aware you don't have much time.

I vaguely recall reading that it was something he'd always wanted to do. I'd say it was unwise but he was more than able to decide for himself and it was while the travel restrictions were loosened.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 12,445 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

hynesie08 wrote: »
    He caught pneumonia when he came back and caught covid in the hospital, if anything, staying NHS killed him....

Hmm yeah, Id be interested to see the timeline there.

Great man though, RIP

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Live for another 6 months in your house in the UK and get a vaccine, or live for another 2 months and have a trip of a lifetime away with your family.

Think I'd take the trip after 100 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

robinph wrote: »
    Live for another 6 months in your house in the UK and get a vaccine, or live for another 2 months and have a trip of a lifetime away with your family.

Think I'd take the trip after 100 years.

A quote attributed to Jeanne Calment (allegedly the oldest person ever to have lived) springs to mind - "I think God forgot me". I'd be agnostic about the God thing, but if I reached 100, I'd start getting a bit concerned about how long it might all drag on for. I'd absolutely start tempting fate and taking risks. And a trip of a lifetime would be one worth taking.

Jeanne Calment also said "I've only got one wrinkle, and I'm sitting on it".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rapul

Absolute legend and will be remembered as a hero in these dark times. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭myfreespirit

Was really saddened to hear that Captain Tom has died.
    A truly great Yorkshire man.
    RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Some life he had.

Im sitting on the couch waiting for an online lecture to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,923 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

A Genuine Hero and all round good egg. Very sad but he achieved so much in the last year of his life. RIP Sir Tom

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

He had a good run. He probably would have flown anyway even if he knew it would kill him.

100 is a good innings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭The Wizards Sleeve

He finished his long life with great character and humility. May he rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Stephen Gawking

A life well lived. R.I.P. Captain Tom.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,735 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Yes glad he got his trip, and hopefully passed peacefully. He lived more than most of us will, so I doubt he had any regrets!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Maybe I'm being a bit cold but given how much he was hailed as a hero for helping the NHS, why didn't he just do what the NHS have been asking people to do - "stay at home"?
    It is unfortunate that he has died but many people have not been able to say goodbye to loved ones and this fella and his family think it's ok to swan off abroad on a completely unnecessary hollier?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

It was on his bucket list and he was gifted the holiday.

One final hurrah with his family as opposed to looking at 4 walls.

At least he was able to live his last few days rather than wasting in a nursing home with no visitors.

I know what option I would pick!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Maybe I'm being a bit cold but given how much he was hailed as a hero for helping the NHS, why didn't he just do what the NHS have been asking people to do - "stay at home"?
    It is unfortunate that he has died but many people have not been able to say goodbye to loved ones and this fella and his family think it's ok to swan off abroad on a completely unnecessary hollier?
    No maybe about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Careful you'll upset someone....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭AllForIt

https://news.sky.com/story/captain-sir-tom-moore-dies-aged-100-after-contracting-coronavirus-and-pneumonia-12205073
    In December he and his family were gifted a holiday to Barbados by British Airways.

Not sure when they went out there either. Must have been prior to their current level 5 lockdown.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

AllForIt wrote: »
    https://news.sky.com/story/captain-sir-tom-moore-dies-aged-100-after-contracting-coronavirus-and-pneumonia-12205073

Not sure when they went out there either. Musta been prior to their current level 5 lockdown.
    At what point did the NHS stop saying that people should stay at home?

• Advertisement

If that's what he wanted to do at his age, he was right!

Advertisement