Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Help - Dodgy Electrical job

Options
  • 27-10-2020 12:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi
    I advertised a job on what I thought was reputable website here in Dublin.
    It involved putting in two sockets. The "Electrician" called around and installed one socket (Socket A), by taking power from the Day Booster switch off the Nite saver storage heater. The second (Socket B) was taken from the switch used for the Pump that is used to pump water to the taps and cisterns.

I only thought of looking for a cert of completion conformance etc after a friend told me I should have received one . Turns out the electrician was not registered (I know, I know, I should have looked for a registered electrician but I made an error on that, I wasn’t up to date on the fact that an Electrician needs to be RECI registered, to carry out work)
    I was speaking to a mate of mine who is an electrician. He said his concern with the socket (Socket A) attached to the day booster switch was that it was likely not connected to the RCD switch and hence be a danger to someone using a defective device plugged in. I tested to see was the socket connected to the RCD switch, by plugging a lamp into socket A, turning it on and seeing if it remained energized, when the RCD switch was tripped. The light went out when the RCD switch was tripped meaning that socket A has RCD protection. My electrician friend told me he would happy with it as being safe.

I did a similar investigation to the socket tapped off the switch for the pump (socket B). When the RCD switch was tripped the lamp remained energized i.e. not RCD protection. I said to my electrician friend and said I had two issues with that (1) I have no RCD protection and may be danger if some plugs in a defective appliance (2) If I connected something that demands a heavy load like an Iron or electric heater a fire may occur. (Don’t fully understand myself, but apparently this circuit has a 1.5mm cable and 10amp breaker, for a socket it should be on a 2.5mm cable and a breaker under 20amps)

I see that you can report such work on Safelectric.ie, but ultimately I want to have the above situation rectified so (1) its safe and (2) Its compliant with regulations and my insurance is not compromised.
    I was going to ring around various RECI electricians but they may be slow to get involved with someone elses dodge work. What should my next steps be?
    Any sensible advice is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,764 ✭✭✭con747

Get a qualified electrician to sort it out, it's unsafe and would affect your insurance and could kill you.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,252 ✭✭✭greasepalm

What area are you in? Getting it fixed /checked out by registered one is important.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Sounds like a cowboy. I'd get a RECI in as soon as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 ChurchStreet

Rathfarnham, Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Why didn’t you get your electrician mate to do it in the first place?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

endacl wrote: »
    Why didn’t you get your electrician mate to do it in the first place?

You are assuming that this friend is interested in doing a "nixer" or is a REC that does domestic work.
    This may not be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭EHP

The work completed falls under minor works and does not require a REC to complete. However it is against regulations to connect a socket to a circuit that does not have RCD protection and the heaters should have there own independent RCD protection not shared with the sockets. Current rules would require the pump to have its own dedicated RCD also but that may not have been a requirement at the time of your installation. Ideally you should report the works to safe electric to help prevent whoever did these works for you from putting others in danger. If you report the work they should advise you on how to proceed I'd be interested to know how safe electric respond to your report. If not get a REC in to disconnect the sockets and complete the work correctly advise the REC you will require a cert for the works he completes as if his work falls within the scope of minor works he only has to supply a cert if you request it, be aware the cert will incur extra costs.

Thank you EHP. I will leave update when things progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Word of warning about tradesmen sites. The site takes no responsibility. They don't employ the tradesmen. They are little more than an advertising site not unlike Donedeal or Adverts. They don't stand over claims made by tradesmen. The site gets a fee from the tradesmen. In short, it's not the best way to source a tradesman.

I'm having difficulty trying to source a Reci electrician for this job. I can appreciate its one of those one which a reci electrcian would probadly prefer run from.
    Please PM me if know one that might be interested. I would be content with just putting things back as there were before the cowboy showed up.

• Advertisement

Ok Finally got a Reci in to check fix up the mess after the cowboy electrician.
    On (Socket A) mentioned above, the Reci electrician felt it was safe as it has it has RCD protection for the socket.
    On socket B, that was totally disconnected from the pump and power taken from another socket located nearby.

I got a certificate which is titled Periodic Inspection Report for an Electrical Installation. It was signed off as requiring no remedial work required and negative observations. Essentially a clean Bill of health for my wiring. The inspection was described as a Safety Audit.
    Does this mean I'm covered from Safety and also Insurance point of view?
    Thanks in Advance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

On (Socket A) mentioned above, the Reci electrician felt it was safe as it has it has RCD protection for the socket.
    On socket B, that was totally disconnected from the pump and power taken from another socket located nearby.

I got a certificate which is titled Periodic Inspection Report for an Electrical Installation. It was signed off as requiring no remedial work required and negative observations. Essentially a clean Bill of health for my wiring. The inspection was described as a Safety Audit.
    Thanks in Advance
    It should be remembered that a periodic inspection differs from an initial verification. Essentially within the confines of what could be done, the REC has stated that they consider the installation to be satisfactory for continued service. However much of the installation cannot be inspected (e.g. cables concealed in conduits and walls etc.) so it's not a guarantee as such. Something could appear to be OK from electrical testing but still have dangers present. Inspection is the primary part of verification, and is merely supplemented by testing.

So in short, the REC is stating that they have no reason to believe that the installation is in a hazardous condition subject to the extent and limitations of the inspection and testing. It's the best which they can do on an installation which has already been erected.

It should also be noted that this is a report, and not a certificate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭meercat

Thanks in Advance

You should have got a cert 3(and a test record sheet)

A periodic inspection report is the wrong certificate for this type of work (unless he tested the entire installation,sockets,lights,cooker,heating distribution board etc)
    He should have given you a 4 page pir and a test record sheet if he did.

The report was 4 pages and full inspection of installation with the caveat that "Cables concealed within trunking and conduits within the fabric of the building or underground have not been inspected unless stated otherwise"

meercat wrote: »
    You should have got a cert 3(and a test record sheet)

A periodic inspection report is the wrong certificate for this type of work (unless he tested the entire installation,sockets,lights,cooker,heating distribution board etc)
    He should have given you a 4 page pir and a test record sheet if he did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Dred.

The report was 4 pages and full inspection of installation with the caveat that "Cables concealed within trunking and conduits within the fabric of the building or underground have not been inspected unless stated otherwise"

Stating the obvious there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Thanks in Advance

Not strictly the correct cert for the work involved, but I don’t see a benefit in bringing him back to supply a cert No. 3 in the circumstance.

Nothing you have said ever suggested there was any issue with your insurance cover brought about by these works.

I myself would leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭meercat

Lenar3556 wrote: »
    Not strictly the correct cert for the work involved, but I don’t see a benefit in bringing him back to supply a cert No. 3 in the circumstance.

If he done a full pir then he wouldn’t necessarily have to call back
    He should have the tests done so would have the readings
    He could just post it on and send a copy to safe electric along with the test records

The op hasn’t stated he has a copy of test records either

It’s a lot of work and time and cost to op to do a pir for such a simple job. I’m surprised also that no remedial work is stated. I’ve yet to do a pir that hasn’t identified issues. (Pump not rcd protected for starters). A nph should also be issued.

A Cert 3 is the correct procedure

Advertisement