Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tarmac drive price 600m2 .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

Clairecoco wrote: »

Originally Posted by teepee
    Didn't go with it , going to leave it as I have to imagrate due to the lack of work .

Hi Teepee I was just wondering how this all worked out, who you used and would you recommend them thanks Claire

???????? I think your answer is above

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Clairecoco

hexosan wrote: »

Thanks I know and asked the same question to soneone else on here. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Clairecoco

hexosan wrote: »

Thanks I know and asked the same question to soneone else on here. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

A little OT, but I thought this would be a good thread to ask about this.

My parents got SMA down about 2 years ago. There is a hill leading up to their house, and halfway up the hill there is a patch (well, 2 patches actually) on the SMA that oozes out water.
    The SMA is not coming up or raveling, but it looks bad and is getting a little green.

The water is not there all the time, in really dry weather it will dry up (after a good few days) so it's not a burst water pipe underground.
    The SMA was laid on a surface that had been tar sprayed a few times over the years and was pretty solid, so I'm thinking there might be a blockage (a bit like an underground dam) there under the SMA, and the water seaps downhill under the SMA then hits this blockage, then it wells up and out through the SMA at this point.
    That's all I can think it might be....

Anybody seen this sort of thing before or have any ideas what it might be ?

Anyhow - here's a picture to help clarify (click to enlarge):
    86c998.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

The job looks like its well laid, the water could be from a spring or a soakaway, more than likely a spring, not much can be done with it except dig it and pipe it, if you get very low temperatures it will just crack and lift. Have you any idea if there is a soak away around that area, I had to do a job once that had a soakaway in the drive it filled up due to no soak-age and raised the ground level about 200mm. I would walk away from a job that had soak aways in the drive..

• Advertisement

Thanks - I hadn't though about an underground spring.....
    I don't think there is a soak away there - but there could be....

deadl0ck wrote: »
    Thanks - I hadn't though about an underground spring.....
    I don't think there is a soak away there - but there could be....

Looks like a spring to be honest, but there also could be a soak away.. Can you Pm me the name of the contractor I like his work and may be in a position to pass him on some work in that area.

I will in a week or so as he's about to do 650 sq. meters for me so I wanna see how that goes first !!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭creedp

Just seeking a quick view from people on whether machine laying a wide driveway would result in joints which could be avoided by hand laying instead. I am shortly getting sma put down and was expecting it to be machine laid as the majority of the drive is wide and regular shaped while a small part is probably not suitable for machine laying.

I've now being advised that the job will be entirely hand laid as because it is wide in places this will require a couple of runs with the machine resulting in joints along the runs. Apparently these can be avoided if fully hand laid. I'm finding it difficult to understand this as I would have thought if the different runs are laid at the same time and rolled no joints should be visible. I would much prefer to have the job machine laid because I always understood it was the best method so would appreciate any comments on this issue.

Thanks Macadam for your response by pm. i'm unable to reply as you appear to have exceeded your storage for pm's and must delete some messages before any more can be sent! In any case my drive is as about 4.2m wide from gate into house and approx 5m wide across front of house/garage but with a couple of irregular pieces. Along side of house is 4m wide and to back of garage is a section approx 4m2. If the majority of drive could be laid by machine presumably the unsuitable sections could be laid by hand?

Unfortunately I can't attach pictures as I need a web-based source which I currently don't have and am not in a position to set up at present. In the past I was able to attach directly from pc but not sure what has changed to stop this.

Edit: Please see below - Thanks Muffler!

5ZuXqt.jpg
    8r4AZr.jpg

Thanks

• Advertisement

Looks ideal for machine layin, I wouldnt be worried about Joints in the least if the Contractor knows what he's doing. The one thing you will need is correct drainage as there looks a massive fall down to the front of the house, I would camber the drive down to gulleys to lessen the flow around the front.
    Its definitely very suitable for machine laying, its your driveway demand it machine laying will also be cheaper, ie less labour required than wheeling barrows and raking?? Doesnt make sense to me !!!!

Best of Luck with it, fine house by the way...

Inbox now clear, sorry about that..

Thanks Macadam for your response by pm. i'm unable to reply as you appear to have exceeded your storage for pm's and must delete some messages before any more can be sent! In any case my drive is as about 4.2m wide from gate into house and approx 5m wide across front of house/garage but with a couple of irregular pieces. Along side of house is 4m wide and to back of garage is a section approx 4m2. If the majority of drive could be laid by machine presumably the unsuitable sections could be laid by hand?

Just reread your post and took more heed on the measurements, the drive down would be cambered with a joint in the middle and the fall to the kerb each side, I would place a gullie each side of the flower bed on the right that way your catching the water before it reaches the front drive area which at 5m will only have one joint, if he uses a small machine 632 (3.2max) and NO joint if uses a 650(6.50max), The rset Im sure you can work out..

macadam wrote: »

Just reread your post and took more heed on the measurements, the drive down would be cambered with a joint in the middle and the fall to the kerb each side, I would place a gullie each side of the flower bed on the right that way your catching the water before it reaches the front drive area which at 5m will only have one joint, if he uses a small machine 632 (3.2max) and NO joint if uses a 650(6.50max), The rset Im sure you can work out..

Thanks Macadam. I'm not clear either because I thought we were both clear that it was a machine job. Especially strange is its actually easier/cheaper to machine lay. Good point re fall into house .. the recent heavy rains showed just how much water can come down the drive althouth much of it comes from the lane and in the entrance. Nb to keep lane water away from entrance. Didn't realise the different sized machine that were available. Will revert on this basis. Thanks again for all your advice.

Looks like a spring to be honest, but there also could be a soak away.. Can you Pm me the name of the contractor I like his work and may be in a position to pass him on some work in that area.
    Forgot to get back to you there - I'm PM'd the details just now.
    Sorry about the delay !

Dont forget guys its not the finished look that its all about, its the length of time the job should last, a job done well with SMA should serve you well for approx 25 years if you maintain it with the correct sealer you could extend the life buy another 10/15 years, do not power wash it just a stiff sweep and keep it weed free..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

What should i do when a contractor who was supposed to machine lay a job turns up with two loads and wants to hand lay it. Machine broke down seemingly!

Dont forget guys its not the finished look that its all about, its the length of time the job should last, a job done well with SMA should serve you well for approx 25 years if you maintain it with the correct sealer you could extend the life buy another 10/15 years, do not power wash it just a stiff sweep and keep it weed free..

How do you seal it ?

Also - can you spray it with weed killer to keep it weed free ? (I sprayed with a mix of Gallup 360 and Premazor 57 about a month or so before it went down)

cocoman wrote: »
    What should i do when a contractor who was supposed to machine lay a job turns up with two loads and wants to hand lay it. Machine broke down seemingly!
    I'd say to tell them to come back when it's working
    You're paying for it, so you're calling the shots and you agreed it would be machine laid

deadl0ck wrote: »
    I'd say to tell them to come back when it's working
    You're paying for it, so you're calling the shots and you agreed it would be machine laid

Machinery can breakdown and pavers are not ten a penny, but some guys just havent got them and are just hand layers and nothing else, sometimes it actually takes longer around a house with a machine than hand laying, so long as your getting the correct depth thats the main thing, Im over 30 years in the trade and I have yet to come across anyone asking for a section to be cut out to check the depth, there are big savings for the contractor if he lays 20mm less than agreed....

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Machinery can breakdown and pavers are not ten a penny, but some guys just havent got them and are just hand layers and nothing else, sometimes it actually takes longer around a house with a machine than hand laying, so long as your getting the correct depth thats the main thing, Im over 30 years in the trade and I have yet to come across anyone asking for a section to be cut out to check the depth, there are big savings for the contractor if he lays 20mm less than agreed....

How do you check they are laying the right depth though? Especially if you are away at work?

• Advertisement

yop wrote: »
    How do you check they are laying the right depth though? Especially if you are away at work?

Would it not be in your interest to be present all you need to do is dip it here and there as they lay it, it could mean the job lasting 20+years or 5 or less.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Would it not be in your interest to be present all you need to do is dip it here and there as they lay it, it could mean the job lasting 20+years or 5...

Absolutely if I needed to. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭BelleOfTheBall

I've a semi and want to take up small garden to use for 2nd cAr. Anyone limerick ud recommend even a pic of works done??

Wouldnt know many down that way done bit of work in Kerry years ago, try these guys they come across as ok and give free quotes, pm it to me if ya want and I'll dissect it and point you in the right direction....

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Neddser1975

Hi I am looking for quotes and advice have approx 200sq meters of driveway that needs to be tarmac, cemented, tar and chip etc. The driveway is 70sqr mtrs of steep hill the rest is flat.I have hardcore already bedded in but it keeps getting dragged up because of lack of resistance going up the drive wheels spin in three or four places on way up (for those not patient enough to drive slowly up the hill) so I need something durable but has enough grip to enable those impatient drivers to get up the hill.

I have Kerbs set on one side of driveway with the other side ready to be laid. but could do with an idea of costs from anyone here. I am in the Carlow area

Thanks so much in advance

Ed

Hi I am looking for quotes and advice have approx 200sq meters of driveway that needs to be tarmac, cemented, tar and chip etc. The driveway is 70sqr mtrs of steep hill the rest is flat.I have hardcore already bedded in but it keeps getting dragged up because of lack of resistance going up the drive wheels spin in three or four places on way up (for those not patient enough to drive slowly up the hill) so I need something durable but has enough grip to enable those impatient drivers to get up the hill.

I have Kerbs set on one side of driveway with the other side ready to be laid. but could do with an idea of costs from anyone here. I am in the Carlow area

Thanks so much in advance

Ed

Throw up a picture there Newbie...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

Wouldnt know many down that way done bit of work in Kerry years ago, try these guys they come across as ok and give free quotes, pm it to me if ya want and I'll dissect it and point you in the right direction....
    any idea how much it would cost to tarmac an area 49 ft by 19 ft , i have hard core already down

any idea how much it would cost to tarmac an area 49 ft by 19 ft , i have hard core already down[/QUOTE

Approx €1700 for 50mm compacted depth of SMA
    (did you sell that J Reck Knife?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

any idea how much it would cost to tarmac an area 49 ft by 19 ft , i have hard core already down[/QUOTE

Approx €1700 for 50mm compacted depth of SMA
    (did you sell that J Reck Knife?)
    I did ,a couple of lads wanted it but a lad just came up to the job and bought it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

Hi,

i had tarmac laid in 2005. By 2007 weeds were growing thru the tarmac. see foto. I have been going around with weed killer since then but sometimes the weeds have already pushed the tarmac out by the time i get to them. Is there a patching kit or something i could use to patch these areas. i saw a bag of tar in a diy shop . Could i melt this and pour it on. I have no budget to replace the tarmac. Thanks.

6313631732_434dc8b1cd_z.jpg

Advertisement