Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish people disliking Ireland

• 13-11-2012 9:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭

I've travelled a lot and Ireland is one of the ****test countries I've been to.

Anyone agree? (I presume not as so many Irish never leave their home village)

PS genuinely not trolling!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

At 8.09 am, on 13 November 2012, After Hours officially became a parody of itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Its always a sickener when i come back from abroad.
    As i often say: " we are our own worst enemy"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Go away.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

The thing that always really gets me when I'm abroad is Irish banging on about how great Ireland is and how great we are as a nation/everyone loves us etc.

We are the most deluded people in the world and you only realise how shite it actually is when you live abroad for a while. I miss my friends and family like crazy but Ireland is a kip of a place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Huge house in Clontarf / Stillorgan, millions in the bank,...great place to live

Stuck in Moyross, Finglas or Jobstown, no money,.....sh*te place to live

Same equivalents to be found anywhere tbh

Though lousy infrastructure, weather, political class, healthcare, crime, etc, do seem to be more grating when being in Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Ireland ia a great Country. Its just a pity we cant get the right people to run it

FearDark wrote: »
    The thing that always really gets me when I'm abroad is Irish banging on about how great Ireland is and how great we are as a nation/everyone loves us etc.

We are the most deluded people in the world and you only realise how shite it actually is when you live abroad for a while. I miss my friends and family like crazy but Ireland is a kip of a place.

Thats your opinion . I lived in Germany for 10 years and always loved coming home

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I *love* a nice pub with a nice open fire and a nice pint, and no TV or loud music, and a few mates.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Chevolution

Not another one of these threads, if you dislike Ireland, get off AH, pack your bags and leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,858 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I love coming home, partly because I know I'll be leaving again after my 'holiday'.

It's grand for a few weeks to catch up with everyone but the buzz wears off and by all accounts it's not the best place in the world to be settled right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

WIZE wrote: »
    Thats your opinion . I lived in Germany for 10 years and always loved coming home

I live in Germany now and I love this place, but I do enjoy visiting Ireland. It wouldn't be so bad if a few things were changed. If nightclubs/pubs were open longer, maybe people wouldn't scoff so much drink into themselves in such a short space of time and going out would actually be fun.

If you want a sh!t country then live in South Africa. Very little public transport, piss poor currency and ridiculously high rates of crime. I don't think I'll ever go back to Ireland to live, but I'd choose to live in it a million times before I'd live in South Africa again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,848 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

!!! wrote: »

Course not. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭FrogMarch

WIZE wrote: »
    Ireland ia a great Country. Its just a pity we cant get the right people to run it

...or live in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Lambsbread

You have obviously not traveled a lot if you have that opinion! Ireland is one of the best places to live in the world. People take for granted having running water, hot water and electricity.

I am sure your experiences of traveling in America, Australia and that hotel you stayed in Thailand might have given you a different idea, but the world is a big place.

This post might make me seem smug, but I hate the negative opinion of Ireland that Irish people have!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

It's not the country itself, it's the people in it that make Ireland a great place. It sounds weird, but I don't miss Ireland living abroad, yet I do miss the Irish.

Lambsbread wrote: »
    You have obviously not traveled a lot if you have that opinion! Ireland is one of the best places to live in the world. People take for granted having running water, hot water and electricity.

:confused:

I've travelled a lot and I don't think it's odd to take those things for granted.

elefant wrote: »
    It's not the country itself, it's the people in it that make Ireland a great place. It sounds weird, but I don't miss Ireland living abroad, yet I do miss the Irish.

See that to me as bad a generalisation as saying Ireland's a shithole. There's a lot a absolute pricks, both at home and abroad.

FrogMarch wrote: »

...or live in it.
    Are you saying you dislike irish people

Zebra3 wrote: »
    :confused:

I've travelled a lot and I don't think it's odd to take those things for granted.

I haven't traveled a lot and have still been to places without running water or electricity. To be honest, it did not affect me while traveling, but to live there would be difficult I would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

As a matter of interest where exactly have you travelled to and what is it specifically about Ireland that makes it so awful for you?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

I am sure your experiences of traveling in America, Australia and that hotel you stayed in Thailand might have given you a different idea, but the world is a big place.

This post might make me seem smug, but I hate the negative opinion of Ireland that Irish people have!

Sure is luxury, running water and electricity.

Screw the awesome job I have over here, the low tax rates, cheap living, sunshine, awesome women etc etc and let me go back to not having a job in Ireland, living off the dole, not having a life, paying redicilous amounts of tax just to drive a car on the road, being kicked out of a pub at half eleven at night, nanny state etc.

I'm booking my flights home as we speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭doyle61

Ireland's a grand place to live in..........pity about the crap weather though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

Xavi6 wrote: »
    See that to me as bad a generalisation as saying Ireland's a shithole. There's a lot a absolute pricks, both at home and abroad.

I never said anything about the number of Irish prícks or lack thereof.

I miss Irish people and Irish ways in a way I don't think I could ever miss the Dutch for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

I live in the states and I'm actively working out a move to Ireland.

The grass is always greener...

I haven't traveled a lot and have still been to places without running water or electricity. To be honest, it did not affect me while traveling, but to live there would be difficult I would imagine.

Of course it would be difficult to live in those places, however I don't think twice when I get home twice, hit the light switch and the light comes on.

It seems like you do.

elefant wrote: »
    I never said anything about the number of Irish prícks or lack thereof.

I miss Irish people and Irish ways in a way I don't think I could ever miss the Dutch for example.

But that's because (I presume) you're Irish and you have an emotional tie as it's what you know. If you were Dutch you'd miss the Dutch.

You don't necessarily miss Irish people cause they're a great bunch of lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

I suppose that would depend where in Ireland you come from:rolleyes:

Sure is luxury, running water and electricity.

Screw the awesome job I have over here, the low tax rates, cheap living, sunshine, awesome women etc etc and let me go back to not having a job in Ireland, living off the dole, not having a life, paying redicilous amounts of tax just to drive a car on the road, being kicked out of a pub at half eleven at night, nanny state etc.

I'm booking my flights home as we speak.

I'm not arguing that there are better places to be, I don't live in Ireland either. But I am going to argue that Ireland is not one of the worst places to live, which was the opinion of the OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

Bitter ex-pat by any chance??

Did you have to leave the old sod to head to England to work in a factory as your eldest brother got the farm and being the youngest you were expected to join the priesthood perhaps OP?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Who are these villagers who never leave?or are you just making assumptions and generalisations?I bet you'd be hard put to find anyone who's never left the country.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement