Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Your favourite unsolved mystery?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

redblaze wrote: »
    Go on ...

In the last year there was a long thread here on boards.ie with many many posts, theories, guesses and so on - all this arising from a news item that the Gardai had been given a tip-off by an associate of a prominent crime family, regarding a patch of land that (it was alleged) Trevor Deely was supposed to be buried in.
    Well, the Law isolated the piece of waste ground and searched it exhaustively, finding a gun but not much else (or, not that they published anyway)

Meanwhile the rumour and speculation machine was whirring busily along, back here and on other forums too, no doubt: including many revisits to the enhanced CCTV footage and reviews of Press coverage about crimes committed in the Baggot St area at around the same period.

HOWEVER, the family of the missing man were also reading along and apparently were distressed by some of the wilder speculations;
    -- that thread was closed to save family anguish (and to avoid endlessly going over the same stuff time and time again) and I would prefer not to be the one that re-opens that conversation.

However like every other amateur detective I do have my own theory and you are all welcome to your own versions :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Conor and Sheila Dwyer, married couple in their 60s disappeared from Fermoy in 1991. Last seen at a funeral. Not reported missing for nearly a month. All their possessions, passports and cash were at their house, only their car was missing. No trace since. That one always stuck with me because it seemed so unusual when I first heard about it.

In a similar vein - the disappearance of Alpho O' Reilly. He was the former head of design in RTE who simply vanished without trace in 1993.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,126 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Alpho O'Reilly was Charles Self's boss at RTE.

He was a gay man brutally murdered in his own home in 1982, his case has never been solved and remains open. Note, Alpho was only his employer and not connected to the case in any capacity to my knowledge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭redblaze

dubstarr wrote: »

Such a strange one
    "From New York Times, May 27 1922:
    Paris, May 26. - A baffling mystery is exciting the inhabitants of the small Brittany village of Goas Al Ludu, near Chautelin, in the Brest district. Early in April a little girl, Pauline Picard, disappeared from her parent's farm, not the slightest clue existing as to what had become of the child ans all searches proving fruitless. Finally, it was thought she must have been carried of by gipsies, although none had been observed in the neighborhood at the time of her disappearance.

Just when the parents had given up hope of finding their daughter, it was reported from Cherbourg that a small girl had been found wandering there, whose age and and appearance corresponded to that of the missing Pauline. The Picards immediately hurried to Cherbourg and declared the child theirs. A curious fact, however, was that the child did not seem to recognize the parents ans remained mute when addressed in Breton, although Pauline had been used to speak that language.Taken home, the child was recognized by neighbors, and the police officer who accompanied her from Cherbourg was satisfied that she really was Pauline Picard, although there was no indication as to how she had reached Cherbourg.

The adventure thus appeared to have reached a happy ending, until yesterday a startling discovery was made which makes the whole affair more mysterious than ever. A farmer crossing a field about a mile from Goas Al Ludu discovered the horribly mutilated body of a small girl, entirely naked and the head cut off. Close by, carefully folded, lay the clothes. The farmer hurried to the village ans returned with gendarmes, followed by the inhabitants, among them the Picards, who recognized the clothes as those worn by Pauline the day she disappeared. The body could not be identified, the face having been partly devoured by foxes.

Although it would seem almost incredible that the parents should make a mistake, the Picards are now uncertain whether the child they have been nursing for more than a month is really their own, and the police are faced with by a three-fold task - to discover the murderer, identify the murdered child, and, if she is proved to be Pauline Picard, discover the identity of the little girl from Cherbourg.
    Then, another article on May 27:
    [...]Now a closer investigation of the circumstances under which the body was found and the medical examination have added still further to the detectives' difficulties. So careful was the search made at the time of Pauline's disappearance that the body would have been discovered had it been lying where it was found. Everything now points to the theory that it was placed there, together with the neatly folded clothes, quite recently. The most startling discovery of all, however, is that the unrecognizable head found close to the child's body is not the skull of a small child but of a grown man, thus introducing a second victim of an unknown murderer.
    One slight clue is reported as to the possible identity of the murderer. A few days ago a middle-aged farmer, Yves Martin, visited the Picards and said he understood their daughter had been found. When told that she had, he asked, "Are you sure it's Pauline?" Then he added, "God forgive me. I am guilty." Then in wild laughter he rushed from the farm and the following day was taken to a lunatic asylum raving mad. It is thought possible that he killed Pauline - if the dead child was Pauline.
    This case was discussed here about a year ago, when /u/No_Stairway_Denied asked for help remembering some details. I had heard about the case through the 1932 book 'Wild Talents' by Charles Fort, although his version omits the highly strange factor that there were actually two little girls involved (he also got the age wrong) and that a skull from another victim was found. It had me wonder if the NYT article had gotten their hands on a sensationalized version of a less complex story.
    A few days ago, I started thinking about the case and tried to look for additional details online and found that they were very few - the handful of mentions I found seemed to have used the NYT articles as sources. So I went to digitized French newspaper archives and started digging. My French is abysmal but I got quite a few hits spanning from early May to early August of 1922 - the only problem being that I could hardly understand anything other than a few words here and there. Some (tedious) Google translating made me confident that NYT had gotten most of the details right but It's quite impossible to translate (and understand) all of the information from the French articles that way.

Sooo I'm basically hoping for some kind of crowd sourced reading and translation of the French articles by you, /r/unrsolvedmysteries subscribers. I don't expect anyone to translate the articles verbatim, word for word, but if someone could perhaps offer a tl;dr version, I'd be very happy.

Edit: u/nursejessika did a fabulous job summarizing the articles from Le Petit Parisien here:. They didn't mention the adult skull being found, but Le Matin seems to, but someone with a better grasp on the language needs to go through those articles :)

So, without knowing much more than what the NYT articles already said, my questions go along these lines:
    1) was the girl found dead the real Pauline Picard?
    2) if so: who was the girl the Picards picked up in Cherbourg?
    3) Who killed the girl in the field? (Yves Martin seems like the prime candidate, I must admit. I hope some of the articles can shed some additional light on this. Even if he was really 'raving mad', I guess the police would've been very interested anyway).
    4) That still leaves us with the skull allegedly belonging to an adult male. Who was he and how did he end up there? Had the skull been there for as long as the body of the girl?"

https://www.reddit.com/r/UnresolvedMysteries/comments/2t3mil/pauline_picard_1922_possibly_a_mystery_and_a/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

razorblunt wrote: »
    I'd always thought that was more a case of a lover's quarrel, she tried to take the dinghy and head back to shore and fell in (the medication found in her bloodstream would have exacerbated the low level of alcohol).
    I believe the story of her going to bed and leaving the lads drinking, she wakes up and goes to the main deck and finds them having sex. Then a row broke out and she was pushed over board.

There was lots of rumors about Robert Wagner and his sexual relationships with men going way back.

Also about Christopher Walken.
    But who killed her?
    Take your pick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

Who was The Axeman of New Orleans ???

Who was The Zodiac Killer?

What happened to the Nazi gold & stolen priceless artifacts? I'd also like to know to what extent the Catholic Church both help & hinder Nazi Germany & their brutal allies like the Croat Ustashe.

Who gave the order to kill the Russian Royal family, I'm pretty sure it's Lenin but there's no paper trail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

And to what extent if any where the British involved in the
    1972 Belurbet, Pettigo & Clones bombs
    the 1972 & 73 Dublin bombs
    the 1974 Dublin & Monaghan bombs
    the 1975 Dundalk bomb
    & the 1976 Castleblaney bomb

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭irishproduce

What is the tldr on Mary Boyle.
    A lot seem to state it really isn't a mystery

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

This still unsolved ...

Man Crucified and dumped in the sea

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/true-stories/who-is-the-mystery-man-found-in-the-hawkesbury-tied-to-a-crucifix/news-story/219ae7e08411eb5ec51d44c307496d22
    It has been close to a quarter of a century since they found his body, but to this day nobody knows the identity of the man tied to a crucifix and cruelly dumped in the Hawkesbury River to die.

Next week marks 24 years since one of Australia’s most gruesome and baffling discoveries. A crew of early morning fishermen were out on August 11, 1994, on their usual mission. The Lady Mariontrawler cast vast nets to fish the healthy squid population thriving in the mouth of the Hawkesbury, northwest of Sydney. That morning, as they lifted a net, they discovered it was caught on a rope anchored by a steel frame... 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Fianna Fail, Garda corruption/imcompetence and good auld catholic Ireland. Thats seems to be the over riding feeling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

In the case of Adult missing persons can they even be classified as crimes? How do we know they didnt just leave of their own will?

People leaving of their own will is rare without some sort of background eg. abusive relationship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Fianna Fail, Garda corruption/imcompetence and good auld catholic Ireland. Thats seems to be the over riding feeling.
    As above, pedo ring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

That case seems to capture both parties, wasn't the judge involved with FG?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,837 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Jack the Ripper. Will it ever be solved?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tndfLueunCQ

Ipso wrote: »
    That case seems to capture both parties, wasn't the judge involved with FG?

FF i though had involvement too. My bad maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Probably mentioned already but the missing postman of stradbally is still a big mystery. Same kinda thing as above cover up by Gardaí and local prominent people. People went on trial but no one that was there in the pub where he disappeared from gave any idea what happened. Still nit spoken of in the village

The Dyatlov incident just looks like an animsl incident, panic coupled with hypothermia. Some of the crackpots have amazing outlandish theories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

FF i though had involvement too. My bad maybe.

The prominent politician at the house was FF, but the players seemed to span both parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The Malaysian aircraft disappearance.

Frightened the bejayzis out of me since I never thought a plane could ever disappear like that. Weird.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Frightened the bejayzis out of me since I never thought a plane could ever disappear like that. Weird.

One word - China ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭ Sloane Tangy Birdseed

Her uncle was the last to see her alive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

The Dyatlov incident just looks like an animsl incident, panic coupled with hypothermia. Some of the crackpots have amazing outlandish theories.

I have feeling it probably caused by the Soviet Union. A rocket or missile launch gone wrong and landed near them and caused an avalanche maybe? It would explain that some of the people had physical injuries and others just froze to death? The area is remote and Soviets may not have known they were in this area? Could even be a meteor strike whos knows?

My gut feeling is the oxygen got messed up on the plane and they fell asleep at high altitudes and crashed somewhere. That two pilots would be involved in a terrorist attack doesn't make sense. Probably explain why none of the passengers tried to phone.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

My gut feeling is the oxygen got messed up on the plane and they fell asleep at high altitudes and crashed somewhere. That two pilots would be involved in a terrorist attack doesn't make sense. Probably explain why none of the passengers tried to phone.

It would be plausible, except the investigations concluded that the veering off course was deliberate. Communications with the ground were severed in an apparent attempt to hide the plane's location and destination, and they even found routes mapped to isolated islands in the Indian Ocean on the pilot's flight simulator. Really, really eerie case with so many unanswered questions. :confused:

Out of all the theories, I think the pilot murder-suicide is the only one that makes any sense. The family insist he would never have done it, but for the plane to go so hopelessly missing for no reason and for there to be such clear efforts to hide the route means, to me, something sinister had to be afoot.

Also if I'm not mistaken (I am really interested in this particular mystery :P), when they examined the flaperons (the only piece of the plane recovered), they determined that the plane had been 'landed' in the water. Though I may indeed be mistaken on that, so I'm going to double check.

Edit: Didn't find whatever original report I'd read, but this one is so unsettling. :eek:

Canard wrote: »
    It would be plausible, except the investigations concluded that the veering off course was deliberate. Communications with the ground were severed in an apparent attempt to hide the plane's location and destination, and they even found routes mapped to isolated islands in the Indian Ocean on the pilot's flight simulator. Really, really eerie case with so many unanswered questions. :confused:

Out of all the theories, I think the pilot murder-suicide is the only one that makes any sense. The family insist he would never have done it, but for the plane to go so hopelessly missing for no reason and for there to be such clear efforts to hide the route means, to me, something sinister had to be afoot.

Also if I'm not mistaken (I am really interested in this particular mystery :P), when they examined the flaperons (the only piece of the plane recovered), they determined that the plane had been 'landed' in the water. Though I may indeed be mistaken on that, so I'm going to double check.

Edit: Didn't find whatever original report I'd read, but this one is so unsettling. :eek:

Interesting I haven't looked into this in any real depth. I still think the passengers would try to have phoned someone if they were awake, that's why I feel they were knocked out by lack of oxygen (deliberate tapering or a fault on the plane?) There is co-pilot and the Captain. Were the two of them involved or just one? Did the Captain knock the co-pilot out with something or the other way around? Did the Co-pilot or Captain leave the cockpit for some reason and got locked out could not get back in and was knocked out too along with the passengers?

There is another theory but its wild the plane was taken over by https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_Honeywell_Uninterruptible_Autopilot. This actively would knock out communications and someone else would be controlling the plane somewhere else. This can only be pulled off by a sophisticated military that's why it's a wild theory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭ Sloane Tangy Birdseed

Canard wrote: »

You're mistaken, I believe. They've also found 20 pieces of the plane, though the flaperon was the first one found

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

I see TV3 are airing a re-run of Donal McIntyre's documentary about Annie McCarrick. Maybe it's a coincidence...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

oneilla wrote: »
    I see TV3 are airing a re-run of Donal McIntyre's documentary about Annie McCarrick. Maybe it's a coincidence...
    Or maybe TV3 have no new ****e to show so they fallback on their old ****e

Advertisement