Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The passage of time

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

descry wrote:
    At what point do people figure out what they want to do with their lives !!!
    Generally when they are given no other choice.

What you should do if you feel like most of the posters here is focus on new ways to pass the time, ways which add to the sum of you; learn a new skill, a new language. Figure out where you want to be, where you are now, and the steps between the two positions. Take up a sport or a craft, travel to places not just for the experience but for the opportunities, and I don't mean the well trodden paths of Australia or the US.

We have a fairly priveleged position in this country, and we should be using it to taste life to the full.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

J.S. Pill wrote:
    I can't wait till my secondary school reunion...

You'll probably show up in the uniform.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Your perception of time is all down to your memory of it.

If you do the same thing every day and meet the same friends every week then no highlights will jump out in your memory so it will all just bleed together and it will seem like the years have flown by.

The same with a holiday... if you feel it's over all too quickly, it's probably because you just sat in a deck chair all week or obliterated memories with booze.

I'm almost 30 now and 20 seems like an eternity away when I think of all that I've done, all the knowledge I've acquired, all the places I've been and all the people who have come and gone in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,696 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

doubledown wrote:
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer you get to the end, the quicker it goes.

True you know!
    Thats because on the outside the area of the outer layer is bigger than the area of the inner layer or circumference or whatever. Not assed trying to explain it. Blah blah blah

Anyway, would anyone like to live forever?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

ColHol wrote:
    Thats because on the outside the area of the outer layer is bigger than the area of the inner layer or circumference or whatever. Not assed trying to explain it. Blah blah blah

Are you serious? I hope not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

ColHol wrote:

Anyway, would anyone like to live forever?

Live forever or live until humanity ceases to exist?

Given a choice it would be the latter as i wouldn't want to be alone on this planet once it becomes incapable of supporting life.

Forever would be too much time imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,696 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Lazare wrote:
    Are you serious? I hope not.
    I_________I

Imagine thats a simplified toilet roll. The inner circles dont have as much of a surface area on them as the outer circles. Therefore when ya have a big roll and take a couple of the sheets off it doesnt make a dent in the thickness of it. But as ya get closer to the end the same few will make it significantly thinner, and hence the toilet roll will appear to be disappearing faster near the end than it did at the start and before ya know it your up **** creek without any toilet paper!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

ColHol wrote:
    I_________I

Imagine thats a simplified toilet roll. The inner circles dont have as much of a surface area on them as the outer circles. Therefore when ya have a big roll and take a couple of the sheets off it doesnt make a dent in the thickness of it. But as ya get closer to the end the same few will make it significantly thinner, and hence the toilet roll will appear to be disappearing faster near the end than it did at the start and before ya know it your up **** creek without any toilet paper!

LOL.

Tbh, it doesn't take a double digit IQ to work that out, the guy was using a roll of toilet paper as a metaphor for life. It's clever and simple, did you honestly feel there was a need to explain it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

"Time is an illusion, at lunch-time doubly so."

I have no idea what Ford Prefect really meant by that. Just thought I'd mention it :).

The reason time appears to fly past ever quicker is proberly down to our ever filling memory bank, when young we have no past but lots of future and little baggage to haul around, as we experience life we acumulate memories which we unwittingly keep refering to, this fills our subconcious the result being the ever-faster flight of time as we know whats coming next all the time as we've done it before - every day.

If we could somehow live very different lives at regular intervals the decades of "routine exisitance" would'nt fill our memories and we would keep looking forwards rather than back and our lives would seem to be fuller and so longer.

The problem is that we can pretty much second guess 95% of our lives on an everyday basis.

I could be wrong though.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Im only approaching 21 and even Im mournful. The best summer was 2004, the year i left school, thinking back it was Thursday to Sunday nothing but beer, clubs, pubs, birds and house parties, every night there seemed to be somethin on and all this sustained on no more than 60 euro, smuggling naggins into the club as the bouncers stared at the fake ID and you waited to see if it passed. Comin home from field drinking sessions and bonfires at 6 in the morning, locked as **** the sun gradually coming up and the birds starting to sing, my first music festival, Wu Tang tearin it down, Underoworld, Felix Da Housecat, my first time ever on the, eh, thing that dance music was built on that was a movement in the early 90s ( ;) ), the first, last, ony and best free house party i threw that was pretty much word for word the lyrics of Snoop Doggs Gin and Juice......them were the days :D

I dunno, college is over, im in work, there just doesnt seem to be the same buzz there was that summer. 2005 was great too, but 06 was ****e and this summer, well, the weather hasnt exactly cobtributed over the last fortnight. Its like people on the rave scene in the early 90s say, the atmosphere from that time just cant be brought back. Im the same, its as if we cant recreate the buzz f summer 04 :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I started getting freaked out about how quickly time was going when I was 21 too. Well, it gets worse. Sorry.
    I'm eight years older than you. Imagine what it's like for a 50-year-old. Truly depressing... if you let it depress you. Bottom line: there isn't a single thing you can do about it, so just accept it and make the most of now.

Advertisement