Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brief Synopsis.

• 04-12-2003 2:01pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Whats this all about
    We're anonymously buying and distributing cool stuff for kids to hospitals and care-centres because it sucks being there for xmas and despite knowing that theres no santa we feel the position has been vacant long enough and there really aught to be one.

How does it work
    You buy stuff from our list on Amazon. Then you sit back and feel great about yourself. Thats it!
    The stuff gets delivered to me and I am organising delivery of it to the various targets.

I dont have a credit card, how can I help?
    You can transfer funds in complete confidentiality to this dedicated account and I'll use it to buy last minute items where needed.

Tom Murphy
    Bank Of Ireland, St Stephens Green
    Sort Code: 900084
    Account Number: 65748028

This is a completely dedicated account I just set up today every penny into it is for the SSF and will be spent on SSF related items.

I do have a credit card and I want to donate money rather then buy toys!
    [ssf]just click this button -> [/ssf]

Is it right to spend so much on toys when some kids need treatment!
    I'm firmly of the opinion that it is the states responsibility to provide basic health care for kids. As such, and I know this sounds harsh, but I dont want to let them off the hook.

However last year started out as a bit of a nice thing to do for kids but SO much stuff got bought and so much money was donated that I felt this year it would be overkill to turn all of it into toys and games. So, I'm going to take the cash we collect and spend at least some of it on more serious things for kids charities. In this I'll be guided by the suggestions of the targets themselves. It might not be anything spectacular but I think its a good way to go with the whole thing.

How do we know we can trust you
    I guess in short, you dont. But I have a long track record of doing crazy sh|t for kids charities and all these people here trust me implicitly. You can all check later with the targets if you like!

Someone said something about a Strike Force? Whats up with that?
    Some people are grouping together to buy some of the bigger ticket items that would be too expensive for one person to buy realistically. We've nicknamed them Strike Forces.

Aren't we just feeding Boards.ie's profile? Is this an ego exercise for DeVore? I think charity should be done for charity's sake.
    So do I.
    All presents will be delivered in the name of the Santa Strike Force. I'm setting up a website for it as I type so we can have email addresses that are anonymous. Its not possible to completely remain anonymous as word of this will get out I'm sure but all the same I want to just walk up to a target and more or less say "You've just been hit by the Santa Strike Force" and walk away.

I have a bunch of junk that might or might not work. You want it?
    To be honest... no. Half working toys or games without all the parts dont really cut it imho. Would you have been happy as a kid getting one?

I have some good condition books and/or toys or a portable telly that I dont need... what about that?
    Now yer talking! If you can deliver/post them all the better, if not I'll arrange collection. Things we are looking for include:
    -Books
    -Game Consoles (Even old ones)
    -Console games and controllers
    -TV's
    -Childrens Toys (Things kid would like to get, you know, make it a special Christmas)

Thats all I can think of right now.
    DeV.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭The General

I'm setting up a website for it as I type

is it up yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭mrDuke

great website

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 BetsyGray

It's a great idea but are you set up as a charity or something? How do we know you not that Nigerian Dictator who is always trying to pull internet scams?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

BetsyGray wrote: »
    How do we know you not that Nigerian Dictator who is always trying to pull internet scams?
    Not unless he's outdone Michael Jackson in terms of skin tone adjustment! :D

Betsy, DeVore is one of the owners / admins of the site, and is well known to many people here, some of whom work with him every year to make this happen.

I believe they're researching turning it into a registered charity, btw.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 eim07

hi could you give me details of how to deliver good quality toys, who would i talk to about this
    ...my 4 year old has so much stuff and i would really like to make a thing of him giving away some of his many toys to kids less well off, we always take them to the charity shops, but it would really stay with him i think, a "true meaning of christmas lesson" they get so much stuff nowadays, i didnt have a tenth of what that boys got...i think this is a fantastic idea, and would love to do something for the cause... did you ever think of spreading it out all over the country as a christmas event, like a designated day for people to go en masse to their local hosps and do their bit?:)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Hi all... I'm currently updating everything getting ready for the SSF launch. I'm also moving home and currently without decent internet but I will overcome that.

The account details are all correct (same as before).

Right now I'm looking into creating a registered charity because this started as me getting an xbox for Temple Street and has exploded into this.

Trust is important to me. People here know me and trust me and I keep the financial strings close to me too to ensure 100% of the cash goes to the charity. If you wanted to check up on what we do, you could do worse then to ring Barretstown, The Butterfly Kids, Temple Street, Crumlin or any of the other charities we hit every year and check they are getting the stuff :)

eim07, we cant take second hand stuff as much as I appreciate the sentiments. The hospitals have some strict issues about toy donations (some stuff is not useable by the, cuddly toys for example, others could harbour viruses etc). Also we cant assure ourselves of the quality etc. However I'm sure Saint Vincent De Paul or many other charities will gladly accept your boys toys. I'm sorry, we really just arent set up to take second hand items but thank you for your offer!

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

DeVore wrote: »
    You buy stuff from our list on Amazon. Then you sit back and feel great about yourself. Thats it!
    The stuff gets delivered to me and I am organising delivery of it to the various targets.
    minewr0.gif

kiddin of course, good job mate!
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Any chance of a new Amazon list?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

The last time i did Amazon lists I ended up not having front room for 6 weeks as toys piled in from everyone! Since then we havent done amazon lists (we now deliver several van-fulls of toys and I live in a small one-bed in Rathmines. I'd be sleeping on your toy donations!).

Along with this some charities need specific toys and it became a lot easier to simply buy the toys from a wholesaler (who gives us a nice discount!) and deliver them on the same day.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,538 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Where are the toys delivered to? I'm not just nosey, I am actually interested.

I've been paying the usual lip service for long enough, it's probably time I did something about it...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

Hi, is there any religious aspect to this?

No, none whatsoever....

Thats a bit of an odd question, why do you ask?

DeV.

Where are the toys delivered to? I'm not just nosey, I am actually interested.

I've been paying the usual lip service for long enough, it's probably time I did something about it...:)
    Usually Barretstown, Debra Ireland, Temple Street, Rehab etc... that sort of place.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,538 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Usually Barretstown, Debra Ireland, Temple Street, Rehab etc... that sort of place.

DeV.
    Thanks, I'll try that tomorrow, I've done a bit for Temple Street before....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 jcleere

This is a fantastic idea, and well done!

We are actually putting together an xmas single for childrens charity Barretstown as well this year.

its a cover of "walking in the air" from the snowman.

I hope you dont mind me posting the youtube video:

Being in hospital as a child sucks big time, especially at xmas,

Time to spread a few smiles, will certainly donate!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Antilles wrote: »
    Hi, is there any religious aspect to this?
    No, none whatsoever....

Thats a bit of an odd question, why do you ask?

DeV.

I would have asked the same thing because of Operation Christmas Child which is run by Samaritans Purse. It's a similar concept but without the evangelical side. :)

ETA: just noticed the dates on the OPs. Woops!

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭john kinsella

Just donated a few bob through paypal. Great causes well done fellas

Just going to spin up this years push on Boards!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Have you got the international account numbers: BIC/SWIFT/IBAN? Don't think those acc details are enough to transfer from abroad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

How can I access the Amazon list?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

I think the amazon list is pretty much dead, it's more about what the charities need these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Hey guys, as we are kicking off the 2014 Photobook - just wondering if the site is down temporarily or if you've moved to a different one?!

Shouldn't be down but I'm on a train on the way to northern Denmark for 4 days... I'll try to check later but not sure what I can do if it is down...

T.

Advertisement