Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Not enough snow

• 04-12-2006 5:41pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Europe is currently a bit lacking in the white stuff at the moment and resorts have had to delay their opening:

BBC News

Hopefully those storms that passed over us at the weekend are no on their way to the alps to drop a bit of snow now though. I'm off to Meribel in January and it's all still green on the webcam at the moment. :eek:

Hope nobody's got a trip planned too soon to somewhere that is still lacking in the snow department.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭SideshowBob

Hey, I was in Meribel in Jan of this year and it was the same last dec. as it is now. The snow was ok when we arrived but that was only cos the last heavy snow they had was around New Years Eve, not cos there was no early snow. We had some snow half way thru the week which was sweet. Had a great holiday, there are some amazing runs over there, hope you have a great time!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

The problem is that it's crazily warm at the moment. The xmas markets are suffering too as it's not cold enough! Who wants to be drinking punsch in a t-shirt :D They're expecting it to get a lot colder here in the next week or so, so there should be some snow soon.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Sideshow, did you or any of your group happen to make use of the ski school in Meribel this year?

I won't be making use of them myself, but one of our group is a complete beginner and although I've now forgotten where I read it I seem to recall seeing something about the runs in that area being a bit difficult for total newbies. Of course I've not told them that I saw that comment though and it's too late for them to change their mind now, just curious as to if it was true or not. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭SideshowBob

Actually, my girlfriend was a complete newbie last year. Made the mistake of not booking lessons for her and thought I could teach her myself, bad idea!! At lunch on the first day, we booked a private lesson with one of the ESF instructors for the afternoon and he was excellent. After that she didn't need another lesson altho we were careful about red slopes for the next day or so.

We stayed in Mottaret and there's one beginners area there and the rest is tricky enough for newbies to be honest. There's a green run from Mottaret to Meribel that's ok but the rest are blues and reds. If you've any experience skiing they're not very hard but they are good fun. The runs from the top of Mont Vallon can get tricky when it's icy tho!

Two of the guys with our group got snowboarding lessons as well, again from ESF I think. They both got on well.

Make sure you get the 3 valleys ski pass, the runs in Courchevel and Val Theron are definitely worth the extra euros.

Anyway, for peace of mind (if nothing else), I'd get the newbies to book lessons! The instructors will know which runs are best for them in any event, it's hard to tell just from looking at a piste map.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It is actually Mottaret that we are staying at but if there is only the one easy green for him to get started on then that will have to do, leaves more of the mountain free for the rest of us though. I've got him booked for the week of lessons already but just with the local area lift pass. The rest of us have the full 3v pass though as I like to be able to get everywhere although on the piste maps that I've seen there seems to be millions of runs to choose from and get lost on.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Still not looking great at Bad Gastein in Austria where I am going in January, but there is snow forecast for today and tomorrow according to the website. If I get bad conditions in Austria after paying extra to be in a resort that has a good snow record I will be a tad upset.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

I'm heading to livigno at the start of january I was getting a bit worried too but by the looks of things it should be white

camera1.jpg

Edit: just saw on weather.com, its going to be snowing for 2 days(only about 2 inches of snow) and then sunny for 7 days :(

I wouldn't be worrying too much people, January is a long way off.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

wow the temp dropped quickly!
    When i posted last week the temp was 1C now its -15C after the weekend!
    70cm of snow on the mountain.

Must have been a lot of snow, the fields were green last week!

Can only just see what's going on as it's a bit cloudy there right now but looks like they must be open this week now as I can now see people sliding down the snow.

Meribel webcam

:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

well weather in Andorra still aint improved...no snow since the 23rd of decemeber :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Im just back from Bulgaria, Bansko in particular snow levels over their were quite poor we basically had a 1 red, 1 black and about 3 blues open. It did snow about 6-8 Inchs the day before we left so that opened up the rest of the resort... point being that their was still enough snow to enjoy yourself even if you were doing the exact same runs 5 or 5 times a day.

I do hope Andorra will improve, Ive a holiday planned for the 10th Feb :) Ive got the faith though !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 oldschool

I'm back from Christmas in Kitzbuhel (no snow during my week there, but much better now), where I fell and tore a knee ligament. I've had to cancel my February return trip there, and don't want to wait until next winter to go boarding again. Has anyone been skiing/boarding in the summer (in Europe, can't afford the Southern Hemisphere), and is it worth it?

Sorry to hear about your knee.

I havent been but from I remember their are three glaciers in Europe that you can pretty much ski on all year round. I remember reading up on them and one in particular was meant to be quite good I think some of the european teams trained on it. If I remember the names Ill post them

There are a few glaciers here in Austria that are open most of the year (if not all year round). Kaprun is one of the more famous ones. I'm sure there are ones in Switzerland and possibly France that would be open all year too.

From what I have heard they are generally quite flat compared to normal resorts. Similarly clothing is a problem and you either have to strip down and risk hurting yourself worse if you fall or staying wrapped up and sweating like a pig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 fluap

I went skiing before and loved it, and I'm dying to go again, but my friends are all pregnant, broke or both.
    I still want to go and I thought there must be some group i could join up with. The skiing would be fine cos I know I'd meet people in the classes, but i don't want to be Billy no mates in the pubs in the evening.
    Has anyone heard of something like this, becuase the travel agent apart for shouting about me going on my own and how no one ever travels on their own to everyone in the crowded office was no help.

Dont know if its to late to book or anything but some of us Boardies are going on a trip in march to Livingo.

Im quite sure one of the mods will post here soon enough but its definatly worth checking out its going to be GREAT! :D

I also have some other friends going to the same place but seperatly from our group but I think its definatly a case of the more the merrier.

If you run into any problems or fail to get in contact with one of the mods here let me know and Ill email them for you.

Check this thread.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054989357

Advertisement