Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ah, poor RTE is playing we have no money.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,951 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

randd1 wrote: »
    - Irish version of Takeshi's Castle/Wipeout, with genuinely funny and difficult obstacles, and without the bleeping for the cursing.
    - A series based on how alcohol affects you doing every day things. They do the thing normally first, then everyone has a feed drinks and then tries to them. Episodes would include driving (obviously on a race track and not at speed), 5 a side soccer, writing a business letter, making a dinner, riding a bike. A bit of a laugh and a bit educational too.
    - Satirical news show along the lines of Waterford Whispers.
    - Spoof comedy along the lines of Fr Ted based around a Sunday league team.
    - Simple question based game show where players start with 100 points and take points off each other until they eliminate each other.
    - For the sports enthusiast, a GAA magazine show during the summer. Talk to obscure clubs and players, local characters instead of the usual 10 or so people.
    - Visual programme about Irish wildlife/scenery. The TV3 drone over Ireland programme as a template.
    - Set aside 30 minutes a weekday evening for independently home produced programmes who are shown based on a competition. Meets the "assist Irish arts" criteria and costs them nothing bar a fraction of some of the higher ups wages in prize money.

Set up work experience programmes with various universities and IT's to take in a set number of media students every year to help run the programmes and cut costs. Can provide fresh blood/talent to the station as an aside

Some programmes and an idea for new blood/lower costs pulled out of my arse in the space of 5 minutes. Surely they can do actually better with a bit of planning.

- Cooking in prison
    - Monkey tennis
    - Inner city sumo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭randd1

NIMAN wrote: »
    - Cooking in prison
    - Monkey tennis
    - Inner city sumo

They'd need the fat suits for that one, heroin addicts don't tend to be the fattest.

Although, having an inner city obstacle course that you have to finish through parkour racing in the fastest time while being chased a member of the guards might be something to look at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

murpho999 wrote: »
    It's not banana republic stuff. It's completely normal.

Here's a list of countries that have TV licence fees.

It's the BBC that is the exception and not the norm in that it's completely funded in the UK by Licence fees and no advertising. It's compelled by law on that and has advertsing on its services outside the UK.

Thanks for the link, not sure why you use the word normal, the licence has been abolished in many countries aswell would that not qualify as normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

randd1 wrote: »
    - Irish version of Takeshi's Castle/Wipeout, with genuinely funny and difficult obstacles, and without the bleeping for the cursing.
    - A series based on how alcohol affects you doing every day things. They do the thing normally first, then everyone has a feed drinks and then tries to them. Episodes would include driving (obviously on a race track and not at speed), 5 a side soccer, writing a business letter, making a dinner, riding a bike. A bit of a laugh and a bit educational too.
    - Satirical news show along the lines of Waterford Whispers.
    - Spoof comedy along the lines of Fr Ted based around a Sunday league team.
    - Simple question based game show where players start with 100 points and take points off each other until they eliminate each other.
    - For the sports enthusiast, a GAA magazine show during the summer. Talk to obscure clubs and players, local characters instead of the usual 10 or so people.
    - Visual programme about Irish wildlife/scenery. The TV3 drone over Ireland programme as a template.
    - Set aside 30 minutes a weekday evening for independently home produced programmes who are shown based on a competition. Meets the "assist Irish arts" criteria and costs them nothing bar a fraction of some of the higher ups wages in prize money.

Set up work experience programmes with various universities and IT's to take in a set number of media students every year to help run the programmes and cut costs. Can provide fresh blood/talent to the station as an aside

Some programmes and an idea for new blood/lower costs pulled out of my arse in the space of 5 minutes. Surely they can do actually better with a bit of planning.
    watch this to see how muchh it costs to make tv

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

The news, current affairs stuff and Irish football (LOI & International's) is all I use RTE for. Never use the player(because it's awful). Rest of the content is certainly not aimed at me(,very early 30's)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,386 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Thanks for the link, not sure why you use the word normal, the licence has been abolished in many countries aswell would that not qualify as normal?

Sorry you're just cherry picking.

The point is that many countries have licence fee that fund stations that also show ads just like here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

RTE are a shocking set up and squander a fortune....

Probably been said loads of times already, but 'talent' and staff are paid way too much. You often hear the 'but we'd be paid more elsewhere' drum being beaten, and the obvious response is 'Fook off somewhere else then'. It's just a shocking service for the money.

I firmly believe the licence fee should be optional. That access should be restricted and you should have to pay for access. As poor as the service is, I would pay for RTE for the sports coverage, but it should be optional and there always has to be competition in the market. If a match is being broadcast on RTE and another channel, I'll always watch the other channel because the presenters on RTE are terrible.

Of course, it being a 'national broadcaster', they will always need to be subsidised by the tax payer. But this model of 'broadcaster' is rapidly dying a death. Who watches TV anymore? Apart from old people obviously. In ten years time they'll be even less relevant than today.

so TL;DR - bad value for money, ditch overpriced staff, evolve with the market

The point is that many countries have licence fee that fund stations that also show ads just like here.

And do many other countries also get government funding and then piss all the money up against a wall and come back looking for more?

That's the issue people have.

The entire organisation is completely mismanaged. Even the way the license fee is collected is wasteful.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

It just annoys me when people just bash the country and think other places don't have the same problems.

It annoys me when people think we shouldn't criticize anything if it happens elsewhere, by that logic people should shut up about the the homeless and housing crisis because other countries have it worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

I'd be more worried about Denny O'Brien

Indeed. I was using Murdoch as an example but O'Brien would be a far more likely bidder in the Irish context.

• Advertisement

Sorry you're just cherry picking.

As are you. Personally RTE lost all credibility in my eyes the night that the bank guarantee was turned into sovereign debt. Whilst TV3 explained the consequences and reasons behind the Dail action, RTE put on a film called 'Dinner for Schmucks'. Schmuck is a Yiddish word meaning 'jerk' or 'idiot'. Sums up what RTE takes the public for. RTE like the Irish Times should disappear behind a paywall those that want to watch the crap on it pay for it. Simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭jiltloop

They should scrap RTE 1 and 2, keep TG4 going as the only national license fee supported channel with no ads and just ensure that it does the news and weather in English straight after the Irish one each day.

This means we could reduce the license fee substantially while still having more funds to increase the volume of some of the already excellent programming that TG4 broadcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭bladespin

There are so many 'institutions' here that need proper reforms, not a light dusting over to make them pretty, a proper roots up re-organisation RTE is a prime example.
    I don't understand why the govt haven't ordered this before, but now is definitely the time, I can appreciate with Health etc there will always be a reluctance to do anything as the minister will always get the blame and public opinion will go against them but TBH the general public have a very poor opinion of RTE, licence fee etc, it's open season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

bladespin wrote: »
    I don't understand why the govt haven't ordered this before...

A sitting government's top priority is always to win the next general election and stay in power. And who covers election issues and decides whether parties and politicians are represented favourably or unfavourably? RTE, of course.

Threatening to dismantle RTE would only invite its producers, presenters, etc., to sway public opinion against the government, potentially tipping the narrow balance of power that keeps the government in office.

On an individual level, any politician who tilts his or her lance at RTE is less likely to get positive media exposure.

I'd guess many TDs have their private opinions on RTE. But it's notable how they never come out in favour of the taxpayer, always paying lip service to the idea that RTE is underfunded and needs more money, despite the fact that Tubridy earns nearly three times what Varadkar makes as Taoiseach.

RTE is a bloated, antiquated behemoth. But you won't find many TDs who will risk their seats in the next GE by saying so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭bladespin

A sitting government's top priority is always to win the next general election and stay in power. And who covers election issues and decides whether parties and politicians are represented favourably or unfavourably? RTE, of course.

Threatening to dismantle RTE would only invite its producers, presenters, etc., to sway public opinion against the government, potentially tipping the narrow balance of power that keeps the government in office.

My point is, that with the negative view the vast majority have against RTE, wouldn't it be more of a vote gain than loss nowadays?
    Bit like adding more duty on cigarettes, drink driving laws etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

NIMAN wrote: »
    - Cooking in prison
    - Monkey tennis
    - Inner city sumo

'Keeping Up with the Kinahans' could be a new reality show.
    Or 'Hanging with the Hutches'.

https://www.thejournal.ie/legislation-cap-salaries-of-rte-presenters-4807278-Sep2019/

Ronan Mullen is capable of rational thought after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

bladespin wrote: »
    There are so many 'institutions' here that need proper reforms, not a light dusting over to make them pretty, a proper roots up re-organisation RTE is a prime example.
    I don't understand why the govt haven't ordered this before, but now is definitely the time, I can appreciate with Health etc there will always be a reluctance to do anything as the minister will always get the blame and public opinion will go against them but TBH the general public have a very poor opinion of RTE, licence fee etc, it's open season.

The Labour party is close to RTE and the public sector unions. Way I see it, Labour probably would not let Fine Gael make reforms in RTE during the 2011-2016 coalition government. Now the public finances have improved so there is no longer a crying need for cutbacks (not that I wouldn't support a roots up re-org of RTE, I certainly would).

In my experience , the older generation does not have a poor opinion of RTE but still relies on it for news, so they are getting RTE's slant and propaganda without realising that it is basically propaganda. My own mother is somewhat IT literate, has a computer, email, etc yet will still turn on the evening news on RTE at 6 or 9pm out of habit.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

must be a hole in the time space continuum

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

lawred2 wrote: »
    must be a hole in the time space continuum

ha ha politics is funny that way. :p

No matter what side of an argument you pick you must be prepared to have strange bedfellows.

Good healthy politics is always about issues rather than people anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

tdf7187 wrote: »
    The Labour party is close to RTE and the public sector unions. Way I see it, Labour probably would not let Fine Gael make reforms in RTE during the 2011-2016 coalition government. Now the public finances have improved so there is no longer a crying need for cutbacks (not that I wouldn't support a roots up re-org of RTE, I certainly would).

In my experience , the older generation does not have a poor opinion of RTE but still relies on it for news, so they are getting RTE's slant and propaganda without realising that it is basically propaganda. My own mother is somewhat IT literate, has a computer, email, etc yet will still turn on the evening news on RTE at 6 or 9pm out of habit.

Sure they had rabitte on about it...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,386 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

El_Bee wrote: »
    It annoys me when people think we shouldn't criticize anything if it happens elsewhere, by that logic people should shut up about the the homeless and housing crisis because other countries have it worse.

A poster was saying that it only happens in Ireland that stations are funded by both Licence fee and advertising , and I was pointing out that it's not the case.

Simple as that. I did not say RTE is perfect or should not be criticised.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,143 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I... agree... with... Ronan... fucking... Mullen... on something?

I think I need a shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Its time for the liquidators. Nice people from Toilette and Douche.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

I dunno, something about a stopped cock.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,699 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

As are you. Personally RTE lost all credibility in my eyes the night that the bank guarantee was turned into sovereign debt. Whilst TV3 explained the consequences and reasons behind the Dail action, RTE put on a film called 'Dinner for Schmucks'. Schmuck is a Yiddish word meaning 'jerk' or 'idiot'. Sums up what RTE takes the public for. RTE like the Irish Times should disappear behind a paywall those that want to watch the crap on it pay for it. Simple.

Didn't TV3 give an ultimatum to the then finance minister regarding publishing his cancer diagnosis?

Yeah, really classy journalism right there.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Didn't TV3 give an ultimatum to the then finance minister regarding publishing his cancer diagnosis?

No idea what you on about, except can you address my comment instead of engaging in whataboutery.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,699 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

No idea what you on about, except can you address my comment instead of engaging in whataboutery.

TV3 gave Brian Lenihan 24 hours (Christmas Day if I recall correctly) to tell his children he had terminal cancer.

Praising a newsroom that engages in such disgusting practices is the last thing any of us should be doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭briany

I think that RTE should take a step back and fundamentally reassess how they fit into the media landscape in 2019. Things are very, very different to how they were in 1989. Back in those days, much of the country could only get RTE. Now, we have computers, we have smartphones, we have tablets, we have the Internet. So much stuff is now at our fingertips. As a result of this, people are now very independent in their viewing habits.

RTE have to decide what things they can uniquely provide, and shift focus to doing those services in a quality way. I believe there is a place for RTE, because it's still the nearest thing we have to a unified cultural voice in Ireland, so RTE in my view, still has a societal role to play, otherwise we're all off watching vloggers and American boxsets.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

padd b1975 wrote: »

That was horrible. A real low point for Irish journalism. Their newsroom has always tended towards the gutter, but Vincent Browne's show was the sort of analytic (often to the point of being quite turgid) current affairs broadcasting that RTE should be doing, rather than anodyne shite like Claire Byrne Live and that awful Brendan O'Connor show.

Advertisement