Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Veggie meet up goes south?!

• 28-07-2009 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Right all you Dublin veggies me thinks ye've all had it far too cushty with these meet up things and think ye should get it together to come visit some of the rest of us! Any one up for organising a meet-up in Cork or Galway? Come on don't be sh*t b*st*rds, I know Dublins like the MOST amazing place ever and everywhere else is just the bogland but come on!!!!

when can you come to cork? 3 votes

weekend of the Aug 7th
    0% 0 votes
    weekend of Aug 14th
    0% 0 votes
    Weekend of Aug 21st
    100% 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

me thinks ye've all had it far too cushty....
    ....don't be sh*t b*st*rds...
    I know Dublins like the MOST amazing place ever and everywhere else is just the bogland but come on!!!!

Should this be moved to the Personal Issues forum?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    Should this be moved to the Personal Issues forum?:rolleyes:

Nope I've only got money issues and can't afford to come to money-land for meet-ups!

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Thoushaltnot

'Bout f***n time!
    There's about 6 million* Corkonians up here!

*slight exaggeration, for effect

PLus Cork has a deadly food scene for the size of it, we've got the english market (supposed to be one of the best covererd markets in europe), the quay-coop, cafe paradiso and the dharma deli so no lack of veggie yum yums!

I'm game........I expect to be caroused after wards though.
    Does Cork have a coppers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

I think it's a grand idea. I will feel bad if I only go to a cork one though, so quicks get a dublin one going afterwards too :). A Galway one sounds good too. I have 105.48 exactly to my name though, and I don't intend to work for the rest of the summer either :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Does Cork have a coppers?
    You mean an opposite to Coppers, whereby all the Dubs go to get drunk and hit with cheesy chat up lines by country folk?:P*

*take me too:P

Depends if i can afford it and whether its just a day thing or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Only in Cork for another few weeks but would love to meet up!

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭DonnieScribbles

We must have one in Galway too! Because I'm new and intrigued... I'll be back there late in August, I can cook curry or noodle stir-fry for everyone! Vegan of course ;) I also make good vegan cookies and apple crumble... I know some Galway veggies, I can lure them in...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

There are at least 5 people on this forum who live in cork at the moment, so I think you guys should deffo pick a date that suits you all. I spent weeks trying to fix a date for that picnic last weekend and in the end 6 people attended (enjoyed myself, thanks again :)). So as you can see, you don't need everyone to turn up, just so long as it suits those of you that are local most of all. Good luck in organising a date ;) It's tough!

As for Galway, it is a great town, but does anyone in the forum live there? Money-wise it makes sense to meet where a good few of ous veggie boardsies live. Plus, vegan wise, Galway is tough. There is that one vegan shepard's pie in that place on lower abbeygate stree (where the staff don't necessarily know what a vegan diet is). There are some options at the market though... Can't remember the specifics about the govindas stand... but I am scared about butter in recipes in the place of oil.

Edit: didn't notice your offer to be a cook for us all there DonnieScribbles! That changes everything ;)*woohooo vegan food*

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I will go to one in cork or galway. I can easlily satay in numerous places in galway and I know a girl in kinsale, so maybe I could stay there or B&B or whatever. Would love one anyway. So yeah, I'll go if date suits. :)

My sister is veggie and lives near cork too. Maybe she go dunno.

I will go to one in cork or galway. I can easlily satay in numerous places in galway and I know a girl in kinsale, so maybe I could stay there or B&B or whatever. Would love one anyway. So yeah, I'll go if date suits. :)

My sister is veggie and lives near cork too. Maybe she go dunno.

Hostel would be fun if we have a few going. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭ Arya Happy Voyage

A Cork one would be fantastic, a Galway one would be doable for me as well coz I'm up and down to that neck of the woods to see my parents. And I'm a vegan of leisure btw so if there is a Cork one I'll volunteer to go get people from the bus or whatever if they're afraid of getting lost :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Hostel would be fun if we have a few going. :)
    I looooove staying in hostels with friends, they are so much fun. Did it with my class in edinburgh, ohh the mischief. :D
    Also in a hotel in limerick and went paintballing drinking for the weekend, little trips like them are the best.
    There was a pool table and a giant connect four game in edinburgh hostel hehe. Cheap too.
    Would be great if a few came down.
    A Cork one would be fantastic, a Galway one would be doable for me as well coz I'm up and down to that neck of the woods to see my parents. And I'm a vegan of leisure btw so if there is a Cork one I'll volunteer to go get people from the bus or whatever if they're afraid of getting lost :)
    Maybe I should say feck my old apartment in galway, hostel there sounds fun too haha.
    Veggie weekend trip somewhere would be fun, hard to do, or get interest, though maybe. :)

I'm a vegan of leisure
    :D
    Veggie weekend trip somewhere would be fun, hard to do, or get interest, though maybe. :)

I would be well interested in it. A mountain trip perhaps, a camping trip of some nature. These days I'm having trouble in bonfire situations when people are cooking limpets and sausages and the like, and I'm able to do nothing but boil water. So a useful vegetarian learning experience it would be too. And after a few succesful regular meetups it will most likely gain popularity.

Would be cool, or even a less ambitious one to start with haha. Like a hostel for a weekend, with drinking, shopping and markets. :D
    Would love to go camping though. oooh fire

Ah yes, perhaps the Galway trip would be suitable for the hostel one. I knows a good hostel in Galway, called "the Galway city hostel", I also know some terrible ones. The top of the list is that horrible "sleepzone" franchise.

Oh sleepzone is the only one I have seen around. Going to teh market in galway would be great, I miss it. Would need to be there early, possibly friday night before to get mattar paneer though, sells out so fast.

Anyway, lets see what this hostel/night trip is like first!
    *calls top bunk off moonbaby*

*calls top bunk off moonbaby*

Oh please I'm not co-ordinated enough to get into the top bunk sober!

I am loving this idea.....I haz car too. And I love Diamond Hill, and am totally unscruplous enough to drag hungover types up it :)

Sweet, default top bunk!

I call a lift, collect me from sligo! and then you can drive me to the top of that hill, after some sort of veggie fry in town, nomnom. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

Oh please I'm not co-ordinated enough to get into the top bunk sober!

I am loving this idea.....I haz car too. And I love Diamond Hill, and am totally unscruplous enough to drag hungover types up it :)

Shotgun!

biZrb wrote: »
    Shotgun!

Double barreled shotgun!

I may be making this one up, but I call bindies!

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

I think you are making it up, what the hell are bindies?

It's my made up term which binds my other made up terms as fact!

I'll have to call bindies on the term bindies. :P

Ok deadly loads of interest, heres an idea if yer interested, I live in the sticks bout 40 min drive (1/2 hr on the train) outside cork, we've a huge garden and field with the house so if ye'd like we could have a barbeque at my place and everyone can camp around the house in the garden or field if they liked (we've even got an outside toilet in the barn). The countryside around me is lovely and if we had a few cars we could transport everyone no bother.
    We could always have a day around the city and then head out to the house later on in the evening after doing the markets etc..
    Got 4 cats, a kitten and a sheepdog for free cuddles too!

Did I mention my 5 gallons of homebrewed apple and elderflower wine is gonna be ready this week too....

Ok deadly loads of interest, heres an idea if yer interested, I live in the sticks bout 40 min drive (1/2 hr on the train) outside cork, we've a huge garden and field with the house so if ye'd like we could have a barbeque at my place and everyone can camp around the house in the garden or field if they liked (we've even got an outside toilet in the barn). The countryside around me is lovely and if we had a few cars we could transport everyone no bother.
    We could always have a day around the city and then head out to the house later on in the evening after doing the markets etc..
    Got 4 cats, a kitten and a sheepdog for free cuddles too!

You had me at kitten cuddles. :P

biZrb wrote: »
    Shotgun!
    Double barreled shotgun!

Just a small word of warning.
    The person who drives up front when I drive, gets to see the life threathening opportunities coming first. :P

raah! wrote: »
    :D

I would be well interested in it. A mountain trip perhaps, a camping trip of some nature. These days I'm having trouble in bonfire situations when people are cooking limpets and sausages and the like, and I'm able to do nothing but boil water. So a useful vegetarian learning experience it would be too. And after a few succesful regular meetups it will most likely gain popularity.

You should check out the MeetUp.com folks - organized by the Irish Vegetarian Society but you don't have to be a member, just a member on MeetUp .com (free). They just had a weekend away in the Mourne mountains last weekend.

http://vegetarian.meetup.com/485/

I've been to a few of the Dublin ones - nice folks, slightly greater spread of ages...and looks like a bit of a cross pollination already, guessing from the name of the newest member :)

• Advertisement

You had me at kitten cuddles. :P

ROFL

Advertisement