Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Laws Question? Ask here!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭randomname2005

What is the rule with catching the ball out of the field of play. I thought you had to jump from inside the field of play but a few times players standing on the line or heel over the line and play on?

• Subscribers Posts: 40,967 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

What is the rule with catching the ball out of the field of play. I thought you had to jump from inside the field of play but a few times players standing on the line or heel over the line and play on?

You have to be inside

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

you can stand outside the field of play and as long as you dont bring ball into your possession and simply touch ball and its play on.
    You cant hold the ball

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

you can stand outside the field of play and as long as you dont bring ball into your possession and simply touch ball and its play on.
    You cant hold the ball

So you can bat a ball back in play with your two feet on ground out by the hoardings and it's play on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

So you can bat a ball back in play with your two feet on ground out by the hoardings and it's play on?

No, you can’t be on the ground while outside the field of play, but you can start your jump while off the field and so long as you only direct the ball back into play and don’t gain possession then alls cool!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

If you are in touch, you can catch the ball and take a quick throw-in (as long as no other person has touched the ball and provided it goes backwards). You can throw to yourself in that case and then play on.

The only scenario where jumping from on-field to save a ball benefits you is from an opposition penalty kick.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭blackwhite

No, you can’t be on the ground while outside the field of play, but you can start your jump while off the field and so long as you only direct the ball back into play and don’t gain possession then alls cool!

Not quite. If the ball has crossed the line (the plane of touch under the laws) then to knock the ball back into play, you must jump from the field of play.

You can be in touch, jump and knock the ball ONLY if the ball hasn’t crossed the line before you touch it.

Once the ball has crossed the plane of touch, then you can either jump from in-play and try to knock it back, or else start from in touch, jump and catch it and land back in-play.

Law 18.2
    2. The ball is not in touch or touch-in-goal if:
    a. The ball reaches the plane of touch but is caught, knocked or kicked by a player who is in the playing area.
    b. A player jumps, from within or outside the playing area, and catches the ball, and then lands in the playing area, regardless of whether the ball reached the plane of touch.
    c. A player jumps from the playing area and knocks (or catches and releases) the ball back into the playing area, before landing in touch or touch-in-goal, regardless of whether the ball reached the plane of touch.
    d. A player, who is in touch, kicks or knocks the ball, but does not hold it, provided it has not reached the plane of touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

does the ref have to call "maul" for it to be a maul?

cause i didn't hear Garces call it in the final for that 2nd half peno

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

fryup wrote: »
    does the ref have to call "maul" for it to be a maul?

cause i didn't hear Garces call it in the final for that 2nd half peno

No, it's just to give extra clarity to both sides, no actual obligation to do so

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

What is the law about having your hand on the ground at scrum time?

I'm noticing a flanker today seem to be fully bound to the ground at all times. I didn't think that was legal but I might be mixing things up. Is it only props not allowed to have hand on the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I'm noticing a flanker today seem to be fully bound to the ground at all times. I didn't think that was legal but I might be mixing things up. Is it only props not allowed to have hand on the ground.

Openside and blindside can have their hand on the ground, only their inside shoulder needs to be bound. 8 needs to keep their head in and both shoulders on the locks.

Props need to use their outside hand to bind to the opposition prop

Shure how can a flanker throw mud into his opponents face if his hand has to stay bound???

WORLD RUGBY HAS re-emphasised existing laws around the breakdown in a bid to clean up an area of the game that has become increasingly dangerous for players and increasingly frustrating for fans.

In short, the guidelines will ask referees to more strictly penalise the following:

- Side entry into rucks
    - Players diving off their feet into rucks
    - Players handling the ball after rucks have been formed
    - Tacklers not releasing and rolling away immediately after completing tackles.

https://www.the42.ie/world-rugby-breakdown-laws-5064084-Apr2020/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

But there is no actual change in the law?

edit: jut checked. Same laws

But there is no actual change in the law?

edit: jut checked. Same laws
    yeah no change. Just world rugby saying refs should be more vigilant on certain areas

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Muligatawney

Good decision. Will also stop commentators praising scrumhalves for "very intelligent play" for knowing a rule that everyone knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Good decision. Will also stop commentators praising scrumhalves for "very intelligent play" for knowing a rule that everyone knows.

"Try" again ;)

After 30 years the Free Kick finally returns from exile to regain significance in the modern game :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

If when a player is temporarily suspended (yellow carded) just before half-time can that player join his teammates in the dressing room or must he remain apart from them, even though the match clock is stopped ?

• Administrators Posts: 53,342 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Ben Bailey wrote: »
    If when a player is temporarily suspended (yellow carded) just before half-time can that player join his teammates in the dressing room or must he remain apart from them, even though the match clock is stopped ?

He can join them in the dressing room.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I don't get the law trial for a hooker having to use a "brake foot" ??

It's always been a penalty offence for a hooker to take both feet off the ground in the scrum hasn't it?

Or am I misunderstanding what a "brake foot" is?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    I don't get the law trial for a hooker having to use a "brake foot" ??

It's always been a penalty offence for a hooker to take both feet off the ground in the scrum hasn't it?

Or am I misunderstanding what a "brake foot" is?

The Brake foot is where the hooker's striking foot is forward. Not having that foot forward and behind the foot the hooker will use to strike doesn't help scrum stability

awec wrote: »
    He can join them in the dressing room.

Thank you. It does seem logical that since the match clock (and therefore the 'sin bin' clock also) is stopped until the referee signals the resumption of play that the suspended player can leave the 'sin bin' to join with his fellows for a refreshing cup of tea or the traditional segment of orange and have the coaches both chastise and simultaneously encourage him before he resumes his place on the naughty step.

Why then have a 'sin bin' at all. Why does the temporarily suspended player not leave the playing area and sit with the replacements & coaches ?

Thank you. It does seem logical that since the match clock (and therefore the 'sin bin' clock also) is stopped until the referee signals the resumption of play that the suspended player can leave the 'sin bin' to join with his fellows for a refreshing cup of tea or the traditional segment of orange and have the coaches both chastise and simultaneously encourage him before he resumes his place on the naughty step.

Why then have a 'sin bin' at all. Why does the temporarily suspended player not leave the playing area and sit with the replacements & coaches ?

The sin bin only covers playing time. Half time isn’t counted as playing time; as such she or he are free to join their teammates.

Don’t forget though, the sin bin is away from the technical area so the player and coaches are out of contact for the duration, so there is some disadvantage besides the obvious numerical one.

Losty, my point seems to have lost.

If ;

Player A is temporarily suspended after 10 minutes of play & he is sent to the 'bin' where he can have no contact with his teammates or coaches until he rejoins play or is substituted.

Player B is temporarily suspended after 35 minutes play & he is sent to the 'bin' for 5 minutes, then rejoins his teammates and coaches for halftime, then he goes back to the 'bin' for the final 5 minutes of his suspension.

It seems clear that the intention of temporary suspension includes separating / isolating the player suspended and that intention is nullified in the case of Player B.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

If ;

Player A is temporarily suspended after 10 minutes of play & he is sent to the 'bin' where he can have no contact with his teammates or coaches until he rejoins play or is substituted.

Player B is temporarily suspended after 35 minutes play & he is sent to the 'bin' for 5 minutes, then rejoins his teammates and coaches for halftime, then he goes back to the 'bin' for the final 5 minutes of his suspension.

It seems clear that the intention of temporary suspension includes separating / isolating the player suspended and that intention is nullified in the case of Player B.
    It isnt nullified. The punishment is a restriction from playing. The player does sit apart during game time but coaches can still talk to player on sideline etc during game if they need to communicate anything.

no, thats not the intention.

there is nothing in the law book which stops a player in the sin bin receiving instructions from a coach

coaches are suppose to remain within the technical area

its just happens that the sin bin area is usually at a remove from the technical area

• Advertisement

If I may, as you know, a temporarily suspended player is required to remain in the Sin-Bin which is:

"the designated place outside the playing area within which a temporarily suspended player must remain" (see definitions)

I don't believe there ever was a specific purpose/intended consequence that the player could not be communicated with while in the Sin-Bin. Requiring an area to be designated as the Bin was always just an administrative thing to facilitate applying the suspension and keeping track of who was on/off, especially when you had props involved, where a team had to temporarily replace another position player to allow for scrums.

I believe you will see temporarily suspended players heading down the tunnel (where there is a tunnel) with their teams in the normal course at every level of the game. I don't think it's ever really been an issue.

I do remember NZ refs union decided to clarify that the laws would be applied as permitting the temporarily suspended player to rejoin the team over half-time, if the 10 minutes playing time of the suspension has not elapsed. I had a quick look at the IRB laws site for a clarification on it but couldn't find one. The laws are silent on it. I've never seen or heard of a ref attempting to keep a temporarily suspended player away from his team at half time though, or attempting to stop someone communicating with them.

edit: here's a link to content on the Wellington Rugby Refs website containing that clarification which was all I could find on a quick google but it definitely has been the subject of some discussion:

https://www.wrra.org.nz/coaching/wrra-directives/sin-bin-where-should-the-player-go/

Advertisement