Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety ads from the 70's and 80's,which ones would you like to see again?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Anyone remember the seat belt one circa late 70's which showed an action man type doll being fired with a catapult through a car window?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

9. The mammy figure said "I.S. 148. Sounds like a robot, doesn't it?" This was the Irish standard for fireproof nighties, apparently. Think she was the wife in "John, did you put the cat out?" (Cat was the only thing not on fire in that ad! :pac: )

Or the one about seat belts - you had to have them, but they were still an optional extra?!? so the ad was about not cheaping out on them. Cue fat guy in a Fiat 131 Mirafiori strugging to put on an old style non-reel belt which wouldn't go near him. Inertia reel belts that actually allowed you to move, reach the radio (if you had one!) etc were dearer. Of course lots of people still didn't wear them at all so you can see why they wouldn't spend the extra few quid.

The Mammy was Laurie Morton, notorious for playing old crones.

Seat belt man was Tim. "Tim has a new car....." We had a 131 at the time too.

Sardonicat wrote: »

Now, a film was shown to us at school in England warning us not to talk to or go away with strangers which didn't pull any punches, .

Was this it? It's on the BFI COI Collection DVD Worth The Risk

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Was this it? It's on the BFI COI Collection DVD Worth The Risk

No. This would have been in 1979, before that one was made. Similar, but featured more scenarios and a voice over.

The Mammy was Laurie Morton, notorious for playing old crones.

Seat belt man was Tim. "Tim has a new car....." We had a 131 at the time too.

Was Laurie Morton 'Wilhelmena, the Whirlygig Witch' in 'Forty Coats'?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭thejuggler

Yes she was married to another actor David Kelly (Charlie and the chocolate factory, Glendora’s, Fawlty Towers). Both died in 2012 I think

No. This would have been in 1979, before that one was made. Similar, but featured more scenarios and a voice over.

https://youtu.be/EEjnmhBJA1w

This is it. The title says 1971 but from the clothes I think it's more likely to be mid to late 70s

thejuggler wrote: »
    Yes she was married to another actor David Kelly (Charlie and the chocolate factory, Glendora’s, Fawlty Towers). Both died in 2012 I think

"We're nasty, we're nasty we're horrible, wicked and bad".

025_57ebc19391ce497f9b6b97d78edcbb7ea9d45a30.jpg

https://youtu.be/EEjnmhBJA1w

This is it. The title says 1971 but from the clothes I think it's more likely to be mid to late 70s

Ah yes, I have that on Stop Look Listen

Pretty sure the date is right

Does anyone remember this US PIF called The Last Prom? It was shown on RTE at least twice during the first half of the 1980s.

• Advertisement

Ah yes, I have that on Stop Look Listen

Pretty sure the date is right

Yeah, I looked at again and think it's about 71 alright. One of the Kemp brothers (Spandau Ballet) is on the Witches Hat round about in the playground scene. He would have been too old if it was 77.

Classic anti smoking pif on here at the 2:18 mark by the Health Education Bureau. I remember being grossed out by the close up of the guys mouth exhaling smoke.

Another long lost Health Education Bureau classic has turned up, the first ad in this commercial break. This used to scare the shyte out of me.

Great to see that again. Love the voiceover.

Great to see that again. Love the voiceover.

Am I right in thinking it dates from a good bit earlier than 1984?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato
    Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Classic anti smoking pif on here at the 2:18 mark by the Health Education Bureau. I remember being grossed out by the close up of the guys mouth exhaling smoke.

Is that Colonel Gadaffi at 2:32 ??? He used to embarrass visiting dignitaries by farting loudly in their presence, dunno if he was a smoker though.

It took a while but I don't mind. How does my body look in this light?

Is that Colonel Gadaffi at 2:32 ??? He used to embarrass visiting dignitaries by farting loudly in their presence, dunno if he was a smoker though.

Lol, there's a resemblance all right. The smokers shown coughing their lungs out in that middle sequence don't look like they're acting either, it has the feel of stock documentary footage.

Am I right in thinking it dates from a good bit earlier than 1984?

Not much earlier. Maybe 1980/81

Not much earlier. Maybe 1980/81

Yes that'd be about right. Its one I always associated with the "Bah" one,maybe came out around the same time.

BTW can anyone identify the music used in it? It sounds like it could be something by Kitaro.

• Advertisement

A more recent-ish one, I'd been looking for this on YT for ages. The slightly demented looking woman at the end asking the doctor "have you cleaned your hands?" makes it. You can imagine that going down well.

There's another one from the last decade that I can't find online, think it was for Board Bia and had this woman with her face blurred out talking about giving her family food poisoning. It had the line "I shudder when I hear the word picnic".

This is one that's been mentioned a couple of times, about wearing hearing protection at work. We only had RTE growing up and I remember this being shown in the late 70's though its British. I'm not sure if they redubbed it for Irish audiences, can anyone recall? Its one that I always associate with the Big John "oh me achin back" one, I'd say they were on pretty much around the same time.

This is one that's been mentioned a couple of times, about wearing hearing protection at work. We only had RTE growing up and I remember this being shown in the late 70's though its British. I'm not sure if they redubbed it for Irish audiences, can anyone recall? Its one that I always associate with the Big John "oh me achin back" one, I'd say they were on pretty much around the same time.

The deaf man is David Ellison, principally remembered as Sgt Joe Beck from Juliet Bravo.
    I do remember an Irish one but think (can't be definite) that they used local actors.

The Play Safe PIF (the 10 minute version) was redubbed for Irish audiences and shown on RTE as filler during the summer of 1979 and 1980. Remember watching it on a B&W portable in Inchydoney both years (summer holiday).

The deaf man is David Ellison, principally remembered as Sgt Joe Beck from Juliet Bravo.
    I do remember an Irish one but think (can't be definite) that they used local actors.

The Play Safe PIF (the 10 minute version) was redubbed for Irish audiences and shown on RTE as filler during the summer of 1979 and 1980. Remember watching it on a B&W portable in Inchydoney both years (summer holiday).

Interesting,was it common for British pifs to be copied or redubbed for showing on RTE?

This is another one I remember being shown in the late 70's on RTE. It virtually follows the one I remember shown frame for frame so possibly it was redubbed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭Professor Genius

Anyone have that Irish one about John having a new car and struggling with the seat belt?
    From 70s

Anyone have that Irish one about John having a new car and struggling with the seat belt?
    From 70s

That was Tim :) Struggling with the seat belt, it actually went under the seat...

"Tim has a new car..."

The car was a Fiat Mirafiori - my Dad and uncle drove them all through the 1970s and 1980s.

Not seen the advert for many years.

Interesting,was it common for British pifs to be copied or redubbed for showing on RTE?

This is another one I remember being shown in the late 70's on RTE. It virtually follows the one I remember shown frame for frame so possibly it was redubbed.

They redubbed a handful - pretty sure that electricity one was like that.

There was another deaf one featuring a drummer.

One of the best (mentioned before) was the loaded shotgun re drink driving.

And of course, that clock showing 4.30pm

"in winter it can get dark as early as half past four"

They redubbed a handful - pretty sure that electricity one was like that.

There was another deaf one featuring a drummer.

One of the best (mentioned before) was the loaded shotgun re drink driving.

And of course, that clock showing 4.30pm

"in winter it can get dark as early as half past four"

I vividly remember the shotgun drink driving one, vaguely recall the one with the clock. The drummer one doesn't ring a bell.

I remember this being shown, it uses footage from the British version. Did RTE show the longer version as well?

• Advertisement

This is very in interesting as its a database of films, including tv and adverts in Ireland including where the copies are kept. If you type in the search engine "road safety" you get numerous entries for road safety films up to the 80's. They all seem to listed as being with the IFA which I presume is Irish Film Archive. Some of the ones that are already on the IFI player are listed as being with them.

https://www.tcd.ie/irishfilm/search.php?s=All&q=road+safety

The details are vague with some of them but this is certainly the drink driving "shotgun" one thats been mentioned.

https://www.tcd.ie/irishfilm/showfilm.php?fid=37637

Fire safety draws a blank so they don't seem to have the nightie one.

Advertisement