Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hobby Blacksmiths

• 21-06-2019 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭

Is there any blacksmiths out there ?
    Or anyone who do it as a hobby?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Don't know about "hobby" ones, but funnily enough I happened to come across one only yesterday, in Castlebaldwin (on the road from Sligo to Boyle). It's opposite the garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭thecelt

It seems to be a dying trade.
    Would luv to try a few things but no idea where to start

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I know sometimes at country fairs, or at the Museum of Country Life near Castlebar, during some fair day (Heritage day, perhaps? I can't remember) sometimes you find blacksmiths doing demonstrations. Might be worth asking them, if you see them. Otherwise I'm sure someone else from here will reply.

Just posting to refresh this.
    Is there any blacksmiths or knife makers on here?

• Advertisement

Thanks, am in Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

thecelt wrote: »
    Thanks, am in Kerry

The Traditional Farms at Muckross House used to have a working forge; probably still there and I am sure they would welcome interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Rolllo

Try a course or a workshop to see if you like it and get to know the basics. I did one in Galway a few years ago but I dont think the same guy does them anymore. If you've a bit of space you can build a forge from salvaged materials or sometimes you can find them for sale on adverts.ie or donedeal. Check there for anvils and other tools as well. There's loads of blacksmithing channels on youtube and www.anvilfire.com is a great resource. Vaughans (www.anvils.co.uk) have a great selection of tools and equipment, though obviously shipping that kind of heavy stuff from the UK is going to cost a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭G-Man

I have always an interest and did a course out in Russborough, beautiful surroundings and great teacher. Full day course went through everything and made you appreciate the hard work and the craft. GOt to use forge, hammers, power hammers and great advise on technique and what we were good at and what we needed to improve.

It was very inspiring, but for me it saked the hunger and I abandoned all interest at the moment to build a forge. It might be just the tonic to presuade you yes this is reallly for me, or yes thanks but thats enough.

Some of her past pupils were working on their projects part time long after the course was over.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

I see plenty of blacksmith tools at the clara boot sale,
    going cheap enough. Anvils, tongs, hammers ect.

• Advertisement

Sounds interesting @kadman wish I wasn't all the way down in South Kerry

Sounds interesting @kadman wish I wasn't all the way down in South Kerry

Did you check out Muckross?

The guy from Mucross does one day courses. E150 for a day. Is on my to do list!

The guy from Mucross does one day courses. E150 for a day. Is on my to do list!

OK! I miss the trad farms more than anyone should miss anything..enjoy

These might be of interest - it's part of Heritage Week.

https://www.heritageweek.ie/whats-on/events?where=&when=&type=&order=title+asc&q=smith

Advertisement