Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

CB Radio

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭deegs2

Magnum wrote: »
    There are definately a few radios around but most use sidebands 27.555 usb,
    I've not heard anyone on 19 in years...

19 years..nuts to that :eek:...we will have to get the movement started again

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Magnum

deegs2 wrote: »
    19 years..nuts to that :eek:...we will have to get the movement started again

What the comment should have said was I've not heard anyone on Ch19 in years....

Magnum wrote: »
    What the comment should have said was I've not heard anyone on Ch19 in years....

yea I know what you ment..i was only jokeing about it..seriously tho...nuts to that..CH 19 was and is (I think) for truckers y/n ? and CH 12 was the calling channel ?

yea I know what you ment..i was only jokeing about it..seriously tho...nuts to that..CH 19 was and is (I think) for truckers y/n ? and CH 12 was the calling channel ?

Never knew if CH12 was the calling channel, when I just had the 40ch CB a few years ago we always used ch19, nowadays rigs have got a lot better with ssb and all that stuff.

I think the mobile phone has taken a lot away from the cb, any truckers that I've heard of late were using cb's that have sidebands which meant they were calling on 27,555 usb and moving to another freq to have the QSO....

I may as well disconnect my 40 Ch radio so and look out for a ssb instead ..Thanks

• Advertisement

I may as well disconnect my 40 Ch radio so and look out for a ssb instead ..Thanks

No problem, glad to help, the skip is very good at the moment so you may even get some contacts outside of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Was always ch 11 the breakers channel from the 70's and 80's has it now changed?

god's toy wrote: »
    Was always ch 11 the breakers channel from the 70's and 80's has it now changed?

CH 11 that was it :D

I used to have a "handic 50" with a 3/4" Ariel we used to blow the neighbors TV's when we transmitted back in the day

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

I used to have a "handic 50" with a 3/4" Ariel we used to blow the neighbors TV's when we transmitted back in the day

Wonder if that still the case today? TVI I mean, with everyone gone digital now would a CB radio that did wipe out a TV back then still do it now?

Maybe grounds for lashing up a antron 99 and finding out!

• Advertisement

god's toy wrote: »
    Wonder if that still the case today? TVI I mean, with everyone gone digital now would a CB radio that did wipe out a TV back then still do it now?

Maybe grounds for lashing up a antron 99 and finding out!

go for it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭bassy

I'm selling a nice superstar360fm with am.fm.lsb.usb.cw.
    go to hobby radio section there's a pic of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

I have one but my antenna (the whip) blew down in strong winds months ago! (i dont get out well presently)

can you attach a link to that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭bassy

can you attach a link to that?
    http://www.adverts.ie/2619185

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wideangle

Hi
    I got back into the hobby last summer.I am based in Cork City.

There is usually 3 of us on most night's on AM 19,from various part's of the city.I have a president Lincoln and a antron 99 home base antenna.

I listen to the usb dx station's when condition's allow but only ever made one contact so far to a guy in Romania.

A friend and I went up Corrin wood's summit last Friday afternoon with the radio's.
    Here is the video:

The American talking was from Florida!!

73's

• Registered Users Posts: 12 RayzorT3

Last summer while pulling into the local pub car park in the jeep I got talkin to an English lad in the costa del sol, clear as day and on a mobile set up with a 5 foot whip. Rarely driving round would you here any irish contacts, although lately I've noticed a lot of jeeps, vans and some cars with cb aerials knocking about.

are you talking about the original kind of CB radio ? like a 40 channel and using ch 11 as the calling channel ??? (not ssb)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I was just about to install a CB in my car as I have a spare DIN slot, thought it would be quiet down my way (east Cork) but that I might pick up a few people tootling around while I was in Cork during the week. Is it really that quiet? There wasn't hundreds of us around back in the nineties, but there was more than three!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Killianfarrell

I have a cb but cant get any irish person on it and im in galway So any one evre on

• Advertisement

Have you tried ch 19 am,should be some trucker's on it from time to time.If you have it in your car try and get to car/truck show's usually people travel to show's with them in their cars/trucks.

dahamsta wrote: »
    I was just about to install a CB in my car as I have a spare DIN slot, thought it would be quiet down my way (east Cork) but that I might pick up a few people tootling around while I was in Cork during the week. Is it really that quiet? There wasn't hundreds of us around back in the nineties, but there was more than three!

It's a bit like the surfer's in Dublin,people drive around with surf boards on the roof of their car's,but there is rarely surf in Dublin.As with c.b. down here in Cork plenty of car's and van's driving around with c.b. antenna on their roof but no body on it.

I have a c.b. in the car now again 40 ch am/fm and only ever talked to the other friend I have on it.In the past month I have driven to Tynagh Co,Galway,Co,Waterford,and all around Co Cork,and not one local person answered my call out's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

CB's where good in their day but that day is gone. :(
    I was picking up a lot of people from Germany and some from England, guess the skip was good.
    Never hear any one around Dublin on mine... well maybe the odd truck driver but its rare enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

the only thing I can remember, is "are you modulating?" not even sure what was meant by it

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

silverharp wrote: »
    the only thing I can remember, is "are you modulating?" not even sure what was meant by it

Modulation is the audio carried on the radio wave. i.e. FM (frequency modulation) or AM (amplitude modulation) or sideband modulation.
    I suppose what it meant was "on you on air?"

• Registered Users Posts: 38,751 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Dragging this old thread up - again :)
    There's quite a lot of relevant history in it, so worth a read.
    Anyway, I was given an old (ancient) Sharp 40 channel AM-only set a few weeks ago. Of course, there's nothing doing on it, as I suspected, even though it's working fine.
    However, keeping a scanner ear open on the 11m band for the past couple of weeks revealed some interesting skip conditions and for the past several days the SSB has been alive with hundreds of calls from all over Europe, especially in the morning and early afternoon. Nothing on AM though, but I didn't expect there would be.
    No matter, I bought another old set - a HyGain V with a few bits and pieces and have assembled a homebrew 102" whip with radials in the attic space, so will have a go at getting out on this rig sometime soon.
    12Watts of mighty power.... jeez, the Italians, Spanish and the Germans sound like they're running from their own local hydro-schemes. The same ones sound like that on the amateur bands, too. Funny that.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

Advertisement