Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

holiday flights summer 2021

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

How is it incredibly stupid? I bought a flight for 30 euro. If it's not appropriate to go I won't.

As an individual or a couple its worth a punt but youd have to think restrictions on travel are going to tighten significantly for the coming months making it impossible or very difficult.
    I'm afraid its going to be like that for July and August and for a family in my case its easier forget about it now rather than fooling myself that we might get to travel abroad in July.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,074 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

davo2001 wrote: »
    People on this thread booking holidays for April?!?

They are either incredibly stupid or incredibly selfish, or both.

It really does beggar belief.

Why? Remember everyone couldn't wait for the end of 2020 - that magical midnight into 2021 and it was all going to change. We were sold 'jab and go' and 2021 will be better tales. People had to have something to look forward to and now its all gone t**s up again!

• Site Banned Posts: 109 ✭✭Physicskid9

LuasSimon wrote: »
    As an individual or a couple its worth a punt but youd have to think restrictions on travel are going to tighten significantly for the coming months making it impossible or very difficult.
    I'm afraid its going to be like that for July and August and for a family in my case its easier forget about it now rather than fooling myself that we might get to travel abroad in July.

I agree and I certainly wouldn't be gambling large sums of in the hope that I can go. I just find it ridiculous that some posters are criticising people who are booking holidays on the off chance that it is possible to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I agree and I certainly wouldn't be gambling large sums of in the hope that I can go. I just find it ridiculous that some posters are criticising people who are booking holidays on the off chance that it is possible to go.

One of the worst things to come out of this covid mess is the constant bickering and telling tales.
    People refuse to let others make sensible decisions if they are different from theirs.

And some people are just very scared and cant understand why everyone is not like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭acequion

Unless the situation deteriorates a lot and there's no doubt that it's a distinct possibility, people will still go abroad this year if they can afford it and if they personally feel the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. All the finger wagging in the world won't affect them and why should it! No body should have to endure being hectored and lectured by strangers.

I can't see the Govt going down the road of mandatory quarantine for all arrivals, Leo made that very clear to Claire Byrne last night, albeit in a very circumspect, politician like way. So at present you can travel, maybe not advisable until at the very earliest the end of the current lockdown, but if there is an overall improvement in the situation and that's what everyone is praying for, travel will make a tentative return.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

One of the worst things to come out of this covid mess is the constant bickering and telling tales.
    People refuse to let others make sensible decisions if they are different from theirs.

And some people are just very scared and cant understand why everyone is not like them.

This^^

I have two friends who have not been out of the house since the start of the first lockdown. They are terrified.

So last summer i was going to parks, going to the supermarket. Went on holidays to Donegal.
    All the while they are sending me snooty little jibes and facebook and twitter posts about me being a covidiot and such things.

My attitude, was get out while you can and enjoy yourself because the virus will be back. So i stayed at home during each lockdown as i know how serious it is. Now they send me messages saying how all this was people like me not following the rules etc.

Sorry, i was following the rules. I stayed 2 meters away from everyone and out of buildings apart from the supermaket. I went for food a few times in outside spaces. I havent been outside the door since Christmas and i have covid now, wherever i got it.

Queue more sniping from these two.
    They are cowering in their homes terrified. And they are effecting their families lives too. One of their wives was on to another friend of ours saying she cant live in that house much longer.

People need to get real. Assess the risk. Follow the guidance. But you dont need to live in terror.

• Site Banned Posts: 109 ✭✭Physicskid9

JimmyVik wrote: »
    This^^

I have two friends who have not been out of the house since the start of the first lockdown. They are terrified.

So last summer i was going to parks, going to the supermarket. Went on holidays to Donegal.
    All the while they are sending me snooty little jibes and facebook and twitter posts about me being a covidiot and such things.

My attitude, was get out while you can and enjoy yourself because the virus will be back. So i stayed at home during each lockdown as i know how serious it is. Now they send me messages saying how all this was people like me not following the rules etc.

Sorry, i was following the rules. I stayed 2 meters away from everyone and out of buildings apart from the supermaket. I went for food a few times in outside spaces. I havent been outside the door since Christmas and i have covid now, wherever i got it.

Queue more sniping from these two.
    They are cowering in their homes terrified. And they are effecting their families lives too. One of their wives was on to another friend of ours saying she cant live in that house much longer.

People need to get real. Assess the risk. Follow the guidance. But you dont need to live in terror.

Wouldn't be long telling these "friends" where to go tbh. If you want to waste years of your life living like a cuck that's fine but don't snipe at those who don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭beachhead

Will you therefore not enter a supermarkets , shop, gym, restaurant etc in case one selfish person is there too? You’ll then have a shop load of sick people etc.

being stuck in a tin can for whatever number of hours is a lot different to waking in the open door of a supermarket etc

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Mrtm17

Half tempted to book the canerys for October, mayb I'm mad

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Munsterbhoy

Mrtm17 wrote: »
    Half tempted to book the canerys for October, mayb I'm mad

I'm considering it myself for the October midterm. Oct 22nd to 31st to nerja. €800rtn with air lingus for the 4 of us.. Just having something to look forward to...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭REFLINE1

If as government are saying most adults will be vaccinated by end of June, what will be stopping people travelling abroad in July/August?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

REFLINE1 wrote: »
    If as government are saying most adults will be vaccinated by end of June, what will be stopping people travelling abroad in July/August?

Because they can still bring it back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Caranica wrote: »

But if most are immune by then, hardly much risk

And if, like is being reported, all vulnerable people and adults (who want the vaccine) will be vaccinated what is the risk?

And if, like is being reported, all vulnerable people and adults (who want the vaccine) will be vaccinated what is the risk?

The risk is that it's a variant that one or more of the vaccines do not protect against. They've already said no foreign travel this summer and I don't expect that to change

The risk is that it's a variant that one or more of the vaccines do not protect against. They've already said no foreign travel this summer and I don't expect that to change

More and more scientific evidence is that the vaccines do protect against the known variants. Once a critical mass is vaccinated it would be crazy that people are still expected to hide away. I think people will not tolerate irrational thinking like that. when would it end? are we to never travel again in case a new scary variant could emerge at any time?

I expect an international vaccine passport will be developed quite soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭The Davestator

EU are already coming down on countries with specific border controls so it's only a matter of time when the green list is back with the possible addition of testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Part of me is still holding out hope for a holiday in September in the sun........

Just because "they said" doesn't mean you have to do. If like last year it's an advisory then people will be able to use their own judgement and do their own risk assessment.

Locking people into and out of countries, keeping loved ones apart indefinitely is wrecking huge hardship on many, as well as being a huge violation of liberty. The EU are indeed starting to wake up to this as it really undermines the core EU principle of freedom of movement, so hopefully there will be a pushback against these draconian restrictions in the coming months. It's good to see other countries starting to look outwards and look for solutions and move away from the fear and panic. Let's hope we will too, eventually.

acequion wrote: »
    Just because "they said" doesn't mean you have to do. If like last year it's an advisory then people will be able to use their own judgement and do their own risk assessment.

Locking people into and out of countries, keeping loved ones apart indefinitely is wrecking huge hardship on many, as well as being a huge violation of liberty. The EU are indeed starting to wake up to this as it really undermines the core EU principle of freedom of movement, so hopefully there will be a pushback against these draconian restrictions in the coming months. It's good to see other countries starting to look outwards and look for solutions and move away from the fear and panic. Let's hope we will too, eventually.

I'm not doubting you, but can you tell what have the EU been saying, or indicating?? I haven't really heard much apart from our own glorious leadership here of course☹️

• Advertisement

With a €2k fine per person each way for non essential travel? I certainly can't afford that.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

The Irish themselves with the curtain twitching shaming bed wetting attitude that prevails here oh and a daily dose of RTE and staycation propaganda.

I'm not doubting you, but can you tell what have the EU been saying, or indicating?? I haven't really heard much apart from our own glorious leadership here of course☹️

I haven't the link to hand but I've read about it in a few places today and think there's a link over on the "Will you travel" thread on the Coronavirus forum. But basically they're saying that international travel should not be penalised or targetted more than domestic travel. Which is basically a pop at our Govt with their outlandish 2k fine on international travellers only.

The Irish themselves with the curtain twitching shaming bed wetting attitude that prevails here oh and a daily dose of RTE and staycation propaganda.

Yeh but thats will become ridiculous once were vaccinated. I for one wont give a f%$k about the neighbors opinions at that stage. I dont expect the govt will be able to keep that 2k non essential travel policy in place by then either, there would be uproar. I have abided by every single lockdown to the letter but theres comes a time when enough is enough and that time is close...

Yeh but thats will become ridiculous once were vaccinated. I for one wont give a f%$k about the neighbors opinions at that stage. I dont expect the govt will be able to keep that 2k non essential travel policy in place by then either, there would uproar. I have abided by every single lockdown to the letter but theres comes a time when enough is enough and that time is close...

The whole problem is that the only uproar seems to be coming from the zero Covid/ anti travel brigade and the very nationalist main opposition in the Dail. There is no uproar at all coming from the many who are probably quietly horrified by these repressive rules. You would hope that it will come eventually and I take the latest EU stance as a glimmer of hope that we may have some friends in the right places after all.

Ursula von der leyen on Twitter today pushing for the advancement of a green pass...... In other words a card or cert that will allow vaccinated Europeans to travel throughout Europe.....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

I just saw a bit last week on tv news that theyd given the germans and a few other countries in central europe an earful over restrictions as it was against the freedom of movement. The EU seem to be saying that people can move about and cant be stopped travelling but quarantine times and tests for travel are at the countries discretion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

neris wrote: »
    I just saw a bit last week on tv news that theyd given the germans and a few other countries in central europe an earful over restrictions as it was against the freedom of movement. The EU seem to be saying that people can move about and cant be stopped travelling but quarantine times and tests for travel are at the countries discretion.

So that means the fines have to stop then?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

Gael23 wrote: »
    So that means the fines have to stop then?

I would hope so (especially as ive flights to spain to see my parents for easter)

• Advertisement
Advertisement